Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

120HR online LoveTEFL. Waist of time or better than nothing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orbit720

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: 120HR online LoveTEFL. Waist of time or better than nothing? Reply with quote

I have over three years of teaching experience in South Korea and I'm looking to teach somewhere new. Preferably, somewhere in the middle east. However, a lot of jobs I see requires some sort of certificate.

Right now the LoveTEFL 120HR online class is only 99 pounds which is pretty cheap but is it a waist of time? Will it help me at all with obtaining a position in Saudi Arabia, the Middle East, or other parts of Asia, ie. Malaysia?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waste of time for two reasons:

1. Online. Everybody that hires teachers in KSA hates anything on a CV that was obtained via the Internet.

2. It will help you in the classroom if you get over here; not a lot, but it will help.

I went to Phuket, Thailand for a five week, 120 hour TEFL/TESOL (I also got two, 50-hour "add-ons" while I was there). I kind of turned my nose up at the idea at first because I thought I wasn't going to get anything out of it, but a much needed piece of paper. Gee, I sound like my Saudi students.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoveTEFL doesn't sound highly credible on a CV in a competitive job market. Waste.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orbit720 wrote:
... a lot of jobs I see requires some sort of certificate.

Right now the LoveTEFL 120HR online class is only 99 pounds which is pretty cheap but is it a waist of time? Will it help me at all with obtaining a position in Saudi Arabia, the Middle East, or other parts of Asia, ie. Malaysia?

I believe you mean a waste of time. An online TEFL cert (especially one called LoveTEFL) won't get your CV a second look---even from sketchy Saudi contracting companies. Employers in this region expect to see a cert that entailed at least 120 hours of onsite training and included supervised teaching practice with real students. That describes the branded three (CELTA, Trinity CertTESOL, and SIT TESOL) as well as some generic TEFL cert courses.

As for LoveTEFL, they claim you can get a job in KSA with an unrelated BA, their online TEFL cert, and zero experience. Of note, several benefits stood out from their list:
    Free high quality private apartment
    £1800 – £3000 per month tax free salary
    90 days holiday pay
    2 week paid holiday + public holidays
Shocked

Last edited by nomad soul on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather screams "SCAM" doesn't it? They take your $99 and you get pretty much nothing. (because that job described doesn't exist for you)

If you are serious about teaching in the Middle East - especially in the Gulf, get a CELTA (or one of the other 2 mentioned) or even better an MA.

VS
SENTINEL33

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember this:

1. Most employers/contractors in the Gulf will not ask you if your certificate was obtained online or not. So unless you volunteer the information, or unless the word "online" or "distance" appears on your certifcate, they won't know (and don't want to know).

2. Most employers in the Gulf will most likely NOT investigage the legitimacy of the institution that issued your certificate. They don't have the time or the know-how or the funds needed to accomplish this.

Besides, what is a "legitimate" institution? The fact is 90% of TEFL certificates are questionable as are the issuing institutions.....yet their "graduates" man most of the academic establishment in the Gulf (which is why they're such scandalous, disfunctional and dismal failures).

My advice? I'm not giving any. You decide.

(My question is: how could you have possibly "taught" in Korea for 3 years without any teaching credentials? Do they just hire you based on where you were born or something? The whole TEFL field is such a Potemkin venture....I don't know how I ended up in it).
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sentinel33,

"So unless you volunteer the information, or unless the word "online" or "distance" appears on your certifcate, they won't know (and don't want to know)."

Well, unless the time spent getting that certificate coincided with a period on your resume/CV when you were abroad.

In addition, the "better," direct-hire places will usually check.

Regards,
John
sicklyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're in South Korea, get to the British Council in Jongro-gu in Seoul and do their CELTA. It is (or at least was) excellent.

If you are serious about TEFL and want to be taken seriously, that is the only course worth doing.

Otherwise, you will be throwing your cash to the dogs and then will later be eaten by them yourself at schools you later work at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: