Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

single mothers with children working for KAU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertflower

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: single mothers with children working for KAU Reply with quote

Hi All

Just wanted to get general information from mothers who work for KAU
, how did you adjusted to saudi arabia with small children i.e sorting housing, child care etc ... do you get help when you arrive at the
university, i havent yet been given a contract but its in the process. so would love to love to hear your advice.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find even a few single, expat moms teaching in KSA. I only know of two teachers---both non-westerners---who are single (divorced) mothers. However, they have relatives living with them to help raise the children. If you won't have that type of support system available to you, seriously consider working somewhere else in the world that's more conducive to single women with children. Otherwise, you'll likely have to deal with sponsorship issues in addition to legal documentation regarding custody from the non-custodial parent if you expect to have your children with you in the Kingdom. If that's your intention, you'll need to have that conversation with your potential employer asap.
desertflower

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you nomad for your reply.. I did include my child in the application form. They havent mentioned him in the process yet...I guess its early stages as they dealing with transcripts documents etc.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desertflower wrote:
Thank you nomad for your reply.. I did include my child in the application form. They havent mentioned him in the process yet...I guess its early stages as they dealing with transcripts documents etc.

Your child should have been brought up during your interview; perhaps the recruiters focused more on your CV and not on your application. Anyway, you really need to contact them asap to see what's required to have your child with you.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure you will need signed permission from the father...

I agree with NS that you need to contact them immediately so that neither you or they waste any time with other paperwork if bringing a small child is an issue for them. If it is permissible and all the paperwork is completed, I wouldn't expect them to provide any help in settling in...

VS
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have explained the point of KAU not being in a position to provide any extra help for single, working mothers in a few private messages between the OP and myself. Getting other feedback/advice is always a good thing though. Smile

I even spoke with a few people at the ladies campus and at the Recruitment Unit that supports both the men's and ladies' campuses about this topic and they all informed me that - to paraphrase - all teachers need to be ready to start working within days of landing at the airport. They just don't have the experience, or cultural mindset (I wish they did) to be in a position to provide assistance like granting extra, extra time off to find "more suitable" housing, day care - especially getting the university to pay for any care - that would be a pipe dream. I do hope it works out for you and good luck. Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that, Icanupp. Employers expect teachers to report to work soon after arrival, which even further complicates things for the OP. But first, she needs to deal with the bigger issue of bringing her child into the country as the legal, custodial parent. As previously mentioned, that involves specific documentation from the child's father.

Regardless, I really don't see this employment situation as feasible given her circumstances and expectations. Patriarchal Saudi Arabia is enough of a challenge for single expat women without children.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Your child should have been brought up during your interview

that is one hell of a long interview
MsRT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of your child's age, but the uni has childcare on site however it does get full quite quickly. I also say it's best to bring this up with recruitment.

All the best
Gulezar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Visa takes a few months Reply with quote

I know a single mum and her daughter did not get into KSA until the start of the second semester in January, as I remember. That was a few years back.
desertflower

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your input, yes I did email the recruiters about bringing my child with me. They said ''As long as you included them on the application thats all we need for now''... So i guess I just have to wait and see what they offer once my papers have gone through with HR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: