Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Countries to Learn Arabic at a Reasonable Cost?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebooktrial0001

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Good Countries to Learn Arabic at a Reasonable Cost? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have always had a pet interest in learning more Arabic, especially since I have worked a little in the Middle East.

Do you guys know any countries, programs, etc. that can learn Arabic at a decent quality for a reasonable price?

I know Yemen used to be a good place; but, it's too unstable now.

What about mosques, university programs, etc.?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Good Countries to Learn Arabic at a Reasonable Cost? Reply with quote

Assuming you expect to just be a student (and not teaching), in terms of countries, choose any that aren't currently experiencing major socio-political unrest (with the understanding that the entire region is a potential hotbed for instability). For example, Egypt, Oman, and Jordan are options. Unless you're Muslim, classes held in mosques may not suit you nor be permissible. And yes, there are plenty of college/university Arabic language programs in the Mid East, and you may find similar programs and possibly private lessons offered locally in your city. But it also depends on the form of Arabic you want to learn---Modern Standard Arabic (AKA fusha or formal/literary Arabic) or one of the many dialects of spoken Arabic in addition to what you consider to be a "reasonable" price.

Anyway, your question is rather broad and not easy to answer because there are quite a few unknown variables. I suggest you start with a search on the Net using countries learn arabic.
SENTINEL33

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad Soul is correct in that you do not provide enough information on which a commentator can give good advice. (For example, how much Arabic do you already know and why are you interested in this?)

I'd like to point out, however, that even under the best of circumstances, you're looking at a minimum of 5 years of intensive study in country to achieve any degree of fluency and reading ability to make such a project worthwhile. (Of course, a lot depends on motivation and natural linguistic abilities).

It's also important to realize that you can't really state that you "know" Arabic unless you're adept at both modern standard Arabic (so that you can understand TV broadcasts, for example, and read newspapers) and can communicate comfortably in a colloquial dialect. You've really got to know both which is one of the main reasons Arabic is considered "very difficult".....you're really learning two languages at the same time.

Having said that, Egypt and Lebanon have traditionally been the 2 locations where most of this type of Arabic learning has taken place......they're probably still the best places to attempt this type of project.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a job at a College where they train Arabic teachers and the classes will be free as they need to practice their skills. Mind you they won't show up most of the time....
desert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebooktrial0001 wrote:
Do you guys know any countries, programs, etc. that can learn Arabic at a decent quality for a reasonable price?

I would look into private language institutes in Egypt, Jordan, and Morocco. If you are unsure which dialect to learn, Egyptian Arabic would be a good choice since it is widely understood throughout the Arab world due to the media.

SENTINEL33 wrote:
I'd like to point out, however, that even under the best of circumstances, you're looking at a minimum of 5 years of intensive study in country to achieve any degree of fluency and reading ability to make such a project worthwhile. (Of course, a lot depends on motivation and natural linguistic abilities).

Any study plan for learning Arabic depends on what you want to learn whether it be Classical Arabic, Standard Arabic, or Colloquial Arabic (Egyptian, Moroccan, Saudi, etc). If you focus on one variety of Arabic to begin with, you can gain a reasonable amount of ability in much less than five years. 1 or 2 years of intensive study would be an excellent start, and you can benefit from even less time than that if you are willing to follow it up with part-time study. Learning one variety in the beginning will help you to progress so that you can quickly gain access to native materials or communicate in colloquial Arabic. It will also provide a basis for you to learn the other varieties later on. However, if you focus on learning all Arabic varieties from the start, it may take what seems like a very long time before you can do anything with Arabic.
SENTINEL33

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to add the following which a novice Arabic learner should be aware of:

Assuming you intend to learn a colloquial dialect and given the fact that Morocco in recent years has greatly increased in popularity as a center for western students of Arabic (mainly due to its location near Europe and its generally "safe" environment), you should be aware that the Moroccan dialect is perhaps the least useful dialect to learn. It has diverged greatly from the other major dialects (as has Maltese) and is barely understood by other Arabic speakers.

Of course, if you intend to concentrate on MSA (modern standard Arabic) - the variety used in the media, for writing and in "elevated"' speech - Morocco is fine since this variety of Arabic is uniform throughout the Arabic-speaking world.

Bottom line: as has been mentioned on this thread, you really have to decide precisely what you want to do given the great variety of possibilities a study of Arabic entails. Saying you "want to learn some Arabic" is much too vague a plan to warrant specifics.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOAS in Londonistan - but it ain't cheap !
kona

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've researched learning Arabic before (really just for kicks, thought I might teach in the MENA someday), and I found one program that's pretty cheap and that is in, what I assume, a fairly cheap location. Zarqa University outside Amman seems like it might fit the bill for you as the tuition costs seem pretty low, and being outside of Amman, is probably a bit cheaper cost of living as compared to the Gulf.

Be warned though that Zarqa probably has little to no native English speakers, and perhaps very little English-speaking Jordanians (that's just conjecture on my part though).

I found out about the program here:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Jordan#Learn

Their site is here:

http://www.zu.edu.jo/centers/languagecenter/site/home.aspx?id=2

Best of luck!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the website, it says that the Arabic for foreigners course is contracted out to a language school in Amman... which is a much better location to be in... seems to be a good option since Syria, Yemen, and Egypt, the favorites in the past are off the table nowadays.

BTW Kona, if you plan to head to the Gulf, you have little or no need for Arabic. (English is the language of commerce) If you are planning to teach in say... North Africa... I would probably wait until you are there and just learn the local dialect. In Egypt, I basically had my students teaching me survival Arabic - as I needed it - for the first few minutes of class while students were drifting in and getting settled.

VS
ttxor1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SENTINEL33 wrote:
Nomad Soul is correct in that you do not provide enough information on which a commentator can give good advice. (For example, how much Arabic do you already know and why are you interested in this?)

before going to Yemen, i asked around to students in ME studies programs in the States where they studied Arabic and why. A lot of students studied in Egypt or Jordan, but they pointed to an issue which Nomad Soul mentioned. It depends on what form of Arabic you want to learn. ME studies programs usually require proficiency in Modern Standard Arabic, and the dialect spoken in Yemen is close to this. Also, many Yemenis don't speak English, so you're forced to use your Arabic on the streets. Not so much the case in many other Middle Eastern countries where many under 40 would rather talk to you in English than wait for you to get a sentence out in the highly formal literary Arabic. Some of my peers in Yemen even said that in some countries people would laugh at you if you spoke to them in MSA, and simply refuse to indulge you in your out of class listening/speaking practice. To make a loose comparison, it would be like someone speaking to you in Shakespearean English...
SENTINEL33

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttxor1 wrote:

before going to Yemen, i asked around to students in ME studies programs in the States where they studied Arabic and why

I don't know what to say. I'm not sure I see what your point is. In any case:

1. Any Arab you ask will tell you that HIS dialect is the closest to the Classical variety. Even Moroccans will insist on this. The truth is, none of the modern dialects is any closer to Classical than any other. There have always been two major varieties of Arabic: the spoken everyday Arabic and the standardized "Classical". This goes back to time immemorial. The notion that the colloquials "came from" or were derived from the Classical is totally fictitious. (Most likely, it was actually the other way around).

2. In my wildest dreams, I would never advise any student to go study Arabic in Yemen. Much too dangerous and has been for at least 2 decades. (altho they make nice daggers).

3. I've said it before and I'll say it again: for someone to say that he "knows" Arabic, you really have to learn both a colloquial and the written varieties of Arabic which are very different. I've always advocated learning both at the same time, but many disagree with me (they mostly disagree because they really don't know what they're talking about).

4. It's important to recognize (and to admit) that Arabic is, at bottom, a useless language, and, for the vast majority of foreigners, not worth the time and effort it takes to become even semi-fluent in it. It's a dying language completely out of tune with the modern world. It's not used in science, industry and its modern literature is nearly totally derivative. (That's why most Arab intellectuals still get their education in Europe, preferably France).

Arabic could be important if you're a "medievalist", for example, or an Islamic scholar of some kind, or a Semitic researcher. But as a modern language? You may as well learn Navajo or Ojibwa.
desert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SENTINEL33 wrote:

1. Any Arab you ask will tell you that HIS dialect is the closest to the Classical variety. Even Moroccans will insist on this. The truth is, none of the modern dialects is any closer to Classical than any other. There have always been two major varieties of Arabic: the spoken everyday Arabic and the standardized "Classical". This goes back to time immemorial. The notion that the colloquials "came from" or were derived from the Classical is totally fictitious. (Most likely, it was actually the other way around).

While it is not a stretch of the imagination to say that the modern colloquial dialects evolved from earlier forms of the colloquial, it is also entirely possible to say that the modern colloquial dialects are ultimately derived from classical Arabic. Why is it possible to say both? That is because the idea that the colloquial forms of Arabic were derived from classical Arabic, or vice versa, is a false dichotomy. The ancient Arabic dialects ARE classical Arabic.

Classical Arabic was spoken in the Pre-Islamic era until approximately 150 A.H. or 767 C.E. in the form of colloquial dialects such as the ancient Hijazi dialect and the ancient dialect of Bani Tamim. In fact, literacy did not become widespread among the Arabs until the coming of Islam. It was at this time that the features of spoken classical Arabic were standardized as a literary vehicle in order to preserve religious texts.

I would agree that all of the modern dialects are much different than classical Arabic, but that is perfectly normal when you look at how languages evolve over time. One of the interesting things about Arabic is that the literary standard has not changed that much over the centuries such that someone educated in Arabic literature can go back and read Pre-Islamic poetry with the help of a dictionary. On the other hand, using a dictionary alone will not be sufficient for an educated native English speaker to understand Old English from over a thousand years ago.
SENTINEL33

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desert wrote:

The ancient Arabic dialects ARE classical Arabic.

Thanks for your interesting analysis. This isn't the place to go into a lengthy dicussion on these interesting issues but I do want to point out that calling the ancient Arabic dialects "classical" Arabic is veering far from the usual and customary modern usage of the term "classical" in this field and distorts what really happened.

It would be clearer to non-speciaist readers, I would venture, to call ancient spoken Arabic the "original" Arabic rather than "classical" Arabic.

Original Arabic was a spoken language and it didn't start out as a "dialect" (a dialect of what?) but very soon it indeed broke up into dialects.

"Classical" Arabic was the idealized (invented) "koine" of the literary elite which, as you said, was standardized following the advent of Islam. It originated not from "a" dialect but from "all" dialects - each dialect contributing to the final makeup of classical Arabic. But that koine - that constructed or invented langauge - was never spoken as a dialect although (supposedly) it was used to orally compose pre-Islamic poetry. As happens in all languages, Arabic was first spoken and only later did it become written. But that original spoken Arabic must have been very different from what later came to be called "Classical" Arabic.

Although a modern native educated Arabic reader can basically understand the written form of nearly 1500 year-old Arabic, (as you said), I doubt he'd understand the everyday spoken Arabic used 1500 years ago anymore than we could understand Chaucer's everyday spoken English. The two varieties of Arabic (as I said and regardless of what one calls them), were always very different.
=============================

PS: I would be remiss here if I didn't "alert" readers to the fact that the "traditional" Middle Eastern view of the historical development of Arabic is considerably different from what I've presented here. In one version of that view, the dialects are directly descendent from the Classical and are a corrouption of it - therefore, they are not really worthy of study, which is the main reason it is so difficult to find a "course" on spoken Arabic anywhere in the Middle East.

It is only with extreme reluctance that a native Arabic speaker will be willing to teach you his actual dialect - and you'd probably have to furnish yourself (and him) with a dialect text and explain to him exactly what it is you want and how to go about teaching it to you. In my extended sojourn in the Gulf area, for example, I haven't ONCE seen a course offered that teaches Saudi or Bahraini or Khaleefji or Kuwaiti or anything Arabic taught by a local resident to the public. Not once.

You can find all kinds of Arabic teachers, but they'll likely be Egyptian or Lebanese or some such. And they'll only teach you MSA....modern standard Arabic.....i.e. the Arabic that no one speaks. (This is beginning to change somewhat, but very slowly and a dialect course is still the exception rather than the rule. And I'm talking about the Gulf....in Egypt and Lebanon, dialect courses are much more readily available.).
desert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SENTINEL33 wrote:
I do want to point out that calling the ancient Arabic dialects "classical" Arabic is veering far from the usual and customary modern usage of the term "classical" in this field and distorts what really happened.

There are a lot of misconceptions about what classical Arabic is with some people going so far as to say that the language in modern newspapers is classical Arabic just as Pre-Islamic poetry is classical Arabic…

First of all, I want to point out that I previously said that the ancient Arabic dialects are classical Arabic. I did not say that classical Arabic only consists of the ancient Arabic dialects.

In its written form, classical Arabic was a snapshot and a reconstruction of the spoken language that was used in the Pre-Islamic period and the Early Islamic period, and it later developed into various forms of literature. While the spoken language continued to evolve over many centuries, the written language largely kept to the same conventions. Some western scholars of Arabic have defined classical Arabic as extending up to the pre-Modern era in its written form.

SENTINEL33 wrote:

It would be clearer to non-speciaist readers, I would venture, to call ancient spoken Arabic the "original" Arabic rather than "classical" Arabic.

Without going into theories about Proto-Semitic or where Arabic originally came from, it is clear that the early classical grammarians have taken a descriptive approach to grammar. That is to say, they let examples of language dictate the grammar rather than using preconceived notions of grammar to understand the examples. You can find famous grammarians like Sibawayhi who have gathered samples of grammatical data from the language of the Bedouin. Since those examples of ancient spoken Arabic are used for classical Arabic grammar, it points to the fact that ancient spoken Arabic is a part of classical Arabic.
SENTINEL33

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of misconceptions about what classical Arabic is with some people going so far as to say that the language in modern newspapers is classical Arabic just as Pre-Islamic poetry is classical Arabic…

Calling modern newspaper Arabic "classical" is as preposterous as calling the "ancient Arabic dialects" "classical".

First of all, I want to point out that I previously said that the ancient Arabic dialects are classical Arabic. I did not say that classical Arabic only consists of the ancient Arabic dialects.

See my above 1st comment. It appears you're expanding and contracting the definition of "classical" to suit the situation.

In its written form, classical Arabic was a snapshot and a reconstruction of the spoken language that was used in the Pre-Islamic period and the Early Islamic period,

I'm not sure what you're saying here. What I'm saying is that "classical" Arabic was never a spoken variety of Arabic - it was never a "colloquial" used in daily discourse at home or in the marketplace. (The word that's throwing me off is your "reconstruction". Why would they want to "reconstruct" the language unless it was to fit into a preconceived notion of what it SHOULD have been....i.e......"classical" or "fusHa". But it wasn't no matter how much they wanted it to be....what they heard was a colloquial very different from the "idealized" fusHa.

Without going into theories about Proto-Semitic or where Arabic originally came from, it is clear that the early classical grammarians have taken a descriptive approach to grammar. That is to say, they let examples of language dictate the grammar rather than using preconceived notions of grammar to understand the examples. You can find famous grammarians like Sibawayhi who have gathered samples of grammatical data from the language of the Bedouin. Since those examples of ancient spoken Arabic are found in books of classical Arabic grammar, it points to the fact that ancient spoken Arabic is a part of classical Arabic.

Sorry - I belong to the camp that states that the vast majority of the "samples" gathered by the grammarians are completely fictitious and without any basis in reality. The idea that these scholarly gentlemen would wander out into the desert to seek samples of grammatical data sounds like some kind of theatrical play.

'Course, I also belong to the camp that questions the authenticity of pre-Islamic poetry to its core.

(This idea also appears in the fiction that the sons of noble families would be sent to the "desert" to "live among the Bedouin" so that they could become proficient in "authentic Arabic" - in fact, they were sent out to the desert to get them away from the desultory and frankly degenerate life of the "cities". -We in America have a modern day version of this by sending our children to "summer camp -

The idea that the "Bedouin" is the fount of "Arab authenticity" is another myth that makes for fine reading, but has no basis in reality. That's like saying that the cowboy is the fount of American authenticity.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: