Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monthly salary / Living costs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
How about if you have 13 years steady work/teaching experience in Taiwan and China, with degree, CELTA and you're a certified IELTS examiner?

Would you pick up a better gig?

And does BC Vietnam need examiners?

I'm flying the Chinese roost soon, thinking of heading over..

Someone with your quals will probably always be in demand. I'd suggest applying for the higher end schools such as RMIT or even international schools. Even the upper tier language mills will be looking for someone certified to teach IELTS testing.

Just know that the current market is overly full with teachers. You sound like your experience puts you ahead of most applicants, but that doesn't mean you'll automatically find work.
skarper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expatluke hits the nail on the head there.

I'd say 90% or the 'jobs' teaching here they just want a compliant clown who speaks English. Even the better mills are looking for that plus a cert TEFL - CELTA ideally.

That market is flooded beyond capacity and apt to be even more so as the jobs market in Western countries gets worse and worse - I can see no reason to expect any real 'recovery' whatever that means anyway.

But the few [10% at a guess] jobs that are serious jobs I think the market is not so full. There are not that many people with the profile and attitude to fill these positions - but they are good jobs and they don't come round that often.

Ergo it may take a while to get one and so people take the English clown jobs to fill in and make some money while they wait. Many run out of patience while they wait and either get used to the clown act and learn to live with it or move on to another country to try their luck again.

I think for the most part you have to be in the country and already set up to get a job in places like RMIT.

I try to discourage people with low or no qualifications and who are very young and lack the resources and life skills or who would just be better off following another path. I do this for the sake of the students they will teach and also for their sakes - because 9 out 10 of them have a miserable time, waste money and don't enhance their job prospects when they do go back home to find a real job.

But people who've invested time in learning how to teach and have special skills or experience I tend to encourage. With the caveat that it is no easy ride even for the best candidate.

That is true everywhere in TEFL but especially so in Vietnam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: