Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FLC Reward Volgograd
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno what all you wreckers are grumbling about. Plenty of money to be made. Enough for even the fleshiest of pots. But it involves WORK! So, let's see some quality lessons provided to the honest toilers of the Motherland, eh?!
coledavis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited another teacher's lesson yesterday. "You will talk!"
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mzuri wrote:
teacher X wrote:
... The students then started correcting his pronunciation of 'ing'.
The Russian teacher had told them that we drop the 'g' and pronounce words such as 'swimming' as 'swimmin'.

.... Also the same Russian teacher was teaching the students that they must say "going to go" rather than just "going to".
So the students were all saying "I'm going to go to the cinema."
Again, my colleague told them that they didn't need the second 'go' and could just say, "I'm going to the cinema."

I can actually see some efficiency in teaching these two preferences. Taking the "going to" example first - does using "going to go" work, even if not always necessary? Sure! It's perfectly serviceable. In primary or secondary school, why burden students with decision-making that isn't essential?

As for the 'in versus 'ing pronunciation. Lots of native English speakers in the world default to the 'in pronunciation. Instead of arguing that one is correct and the other incorrect, the conversation could have been about the acceptability of different accents.

Having taught in a public school environment that shared some characteristics with that described in Russia, I saved my classroom interventions for keeping co-teachers from pulling students out of their chairs by the ears or calling students stupid. (Not all teachers were guilty of this.)

I think Teacher X is referring to the dogmatic way that some Russian teachers insist that such-and-such a form is the only correct 'variant'. They'll refuse point-blank to accept anything that contradicts their notion of what English is, or, as they call it, 'classical English'. That the entire English speaking world doesn't conform to their assumptions (all based on that stupid Bonk text book) is but a minor detail.

How many times will we be told that 'must' is stronger than 'have to'? Or is it the other way around? Can never remember the exact nature of their nonsense.
coledavis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"But which is the right variant?"
teacher X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mzuri wrote:
*snip*

I think you misunderstood a little.

It's not that the Russian teacher was offering them various methods of pronunciation or grammar. The Russian teacher was presenting it as the CORRECT way.

I frequently tell students how to pronounce a word, but then (if applicable) tell them that there are alternate methods and that they can chose which ever feels the most comfortable.

Also, my bemusement was actually directed at the students rather than the teacher. The fact that they refused to accept the advice of a native speaker is a little backwards in my opinion.

Actually, a couple of days ago I had a student tell me that you cannot use articles with the word 'University'. Despite me giving her several examples demonstrating that you can indeed use articles depending on context, she basically told me that I was wrong. Sure, what do I know about speaking English? I always assumed that I was speaking English when I grew up in the UK, but clearly it couldn't have been English. Perhaps I was speaking Chinese all this time and didn't realise! What a fool I am!
coledavis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what do you know? (Although perhaps you mean alternative rather than alternate? Although people these days do seem to use alternate as an alternative version of alternative, but not usually used alternately.)
teacher X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coledavis wrote:
Yeah, what do you know? (Although perhaps you mean alternative rather than alternate? Although people these days do seem to use alternate as an alternative version of alternative, but not usually used alternately.)

It's those damn 'Murkans! Infecting my clean British English with their madness.
mzuri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that the Russian teacher was presenting x and y as the only correct way. And I got that the students were arguing with the native English speaker that s/he was incorrect.

Again, I assert there is an efficiency in some language matters (certainly not all!) to teach a particular pronunciation or definition. Doing so - especially at the secondary levels - results in an economy of study needed by the student that might be better used to acquire more vocabulary.

Furthermore, I've got to be careful to remember that what I *think* I know about language may be inaccurate. Example: the word "shall." In the U.S., we don't use this word much in daily language, other than a question like "shall we go"? [Do you want to leave?] ... But in technical and legal writing, "shall" is an order - and there is zero ambiguity about that definition.

I used to correct my ELLs when they used the phrase "in this moment" to mean the general concepts "at this time" or "at the moment." Eventually, I understood that "in this moment" seemed to be globally understood by non-native English speakers to mean "at this time" or "at the time." .... I no longer remark on this.

In some non-English speaking countries, I've discovered that the English word "nervous" is universally understood to mean "angry" or "irritated". ... In one country, I learned (after some consternation) that the English word "possibly" means "yes." Such meanings have become entrenched in these countries and thus have become just as legitimate in their colloquial use as American English, British English, Kenyan English, or Indian English, etc. ... To a local teacher or someone with an imminent trip to the U.S., I might point out that these words have different meanings, but it's just an FYI on my part.

Unless it's a bald error, I see little value in engaging in pissing contests with students. So if the local teacher insists on the " 'in" pronunciation for words that end in "ing," then I'm going to respect that, especially since native-English speakers from a number of countries do exactly that. (Indeed, I believe Cutting Edge uses "gonna" as the pronunciation for "going to" phrases.) That doesn't mean I have to use that pronunciation myself, if that's not my norm - and if I'm challenged by students (how great to have such engaged students!) - that's a great opportunity to talk about accents, noting that there is room for flexibility.
coledavis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"... just as legitimate in their colloquial use..." Non-native English expressions may be widespread, but assuming that your role as a native speaker is to provide them with authentic English, I'm not sure that ducking out is the right thing to do. If a phrase is not correct in British English, American English and other standard English dialects, then from your point of view, it is not legitimate. I would be inclined to say, 'yes I know a lot of non-natives use it, but it isn't authentic English'.

I do however agree with the point of not over-complicating matters for students at lower linguistic levels.
mzuri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
authentic English

My point is that these colloquialisms - universally understood and used in the same way by the people in a country - have become "authentic" English in these countries.

(On a related note, nothing grinds my gears language-wise more than when I hear people say only Spaniards speak "pure" Spanish.)
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a massive difference though between various lects of English in English-speaking countries, and the gibberish that students utter in countries where English is a totally foreign language. Russia being the example here. There is nothing 'authentic' or 'valid' in the inaccuracies that have been referred to here. 'Nervous' does not mean 'angry'; 'possibly' does not mean 'yes' or 'no'; 'variant' does not mean 'option' in any form of 'standard' English I am familiar with. These are clearly L1 errors and would require correction. No matter what the Russian 'methodist' says.
coledavis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sashadroogie, now I understand what people mean when they say I'm nervous. They also sometimes call me 'emotional'; what does that mean (no, not 'tired and emotional' - well, not often and certainly not in school)?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Cole, I'm too intelligent to say...
mzuri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galee, dese fellows give me de chew rouge, sha! Wink
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that is authentic in the backwoods of somewhere. But round here we does liking the speakering of the classical the Englisch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: