Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Done with China - where next?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
bluetortilla wrote:
but it's a pleasure to meet you sir! : D

psst…nomad soul's not a "sir"!

Cool

I call my 13 year-old son 'young sir' and my 17 year old daughter 'dear miss' (o0 sometimes 'my precious daughter'- she likes that one).

Not to be nosey, but did you get a job in Yunnan yet?
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluetortilla wrote:
fat_chris wrote:
bluetortilla wrote:
but it's a pleasure to meet you sir! : D

psst…nomad soul's not a "sir"!

Cool

I call my 13 year-old son 'young sir' and my 17 year old daughter 'dear miss' (o0 sometimes 'my precious daughter'- she likes that one).

Very Happy

bluetortilla wrote:
Not to be nosey, but did you get a job in Yunnan yet?

Oh! Speaking of which, Pinocchio was nosey! Very Happy

Hey no sweat. I don't think you are being nosey. I was thinking of Yunnan primarily for full-time study and then adding one-on-one tutoring here and there just to bring in a few extra renminbucks. I have since scrapped the full-time study idea and won't be heading to Yunnan. A shame really because I would love to do a full-time study program for a year, but I don't think I should parachute out of the full-time work life…at least not yet.

It seems that I could be staying in Chengdu next year, continuing with full-time teaching and supplementing my income here and there with a bit of this and that (Wink ). That's all right and I welcome this notion because I still have a fair bit of Sichuan left in me--haven't gotten tired of the place…yet. The Four Rivers still work for me.

If I do leave, it will be abruptly because something better has come up all of a sudden. Maybe. Possibly. Perhaps.

Also, I will continue to take Chinese classes in a one-on-one set-up at a private Mandarin language school for foreigners (the school helps me out a lot actually) Arrow I'll be taking HSK, Level 4 this June. I hope to pass it and then I would attempt HSK, Level 5 in the Spring of 2015 perhaps.

Hope everything is well. I should send you a pm soon to make like a tomato… and catch up. Very Happy

To be relevant to this thread, I am not done with China (not yet!), but when/if I get to that point, then I will be in the same boat…where to next? It's a question that I don't have a clear answer for at the moment. Stay in Asia? Head to the Middle East?

One thing though: I don't plan to repatriate back to U S and A for quite some time, if ever at all.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
2buckets

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2buckets wrote:
Rolling Eyes

Question

Warm regards,
fat_chris
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:

Hey no sweat. I don't think you are being nosey. I was thinking of Yunnan primarily for full-time study and then adding one-on-one tutoring here and there just to bring in a few extra renminbucks. I have since scrapped the full-time study idea and won't be heading to Yunnan. A shame really because I would love to do a full-time study program for a year, but I don't think I should parachute out of the full-time work life…at least not yet.

Edited out the rest but we're on the same water course, same raft. I wanted to study full time in Kunming too, but why pay money just to study HSK which I can do on my own for free and use 'the world' as a language lab, just so I have to work under the table with fear and uncertainty with that...no thanks.

I am going for the MA in 2015. I wanted to do the same as you, keep studying under a Z at a college in Kunming but I didn't get the visa (loose lips sink ships) and I don't feel like starting all over again this late in the game (ack- I used the word 'game'). And while the four rivers of Sichuan sound mighty nice (I've heard a lot of good things about Sichuan), I've had it with the Pearl River Delta (apt name) and Guangzhou- though GZ does have its pleasant side too and it's been a good experience.

Pretty sure I'm heading off to Mandalay, Myanmar for a year to finish my HSK without losing money. I'll practice Chinese over Skype and learn the Burmese syntax while I'm at it (part of my MA program anyway).

Good luck to me!

老丁
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
2buckets wrote:
Rolling Eyes

Question

Warm regards,
fat_chris

You know 2buckets, just a single emoticon doesn't give much info. It's hard enough to read a face in real life.
2buckets

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to Nomad Soul's "rather superficial" remark about my comments.

Just pointing out that there are other things to do other than scramble for money.

I worked hard, enjoyed my students, and local culture, (studied Islam with Matahwah students), enjoyed local food available, which is mostly Syrian/Lebanese. I had many well qualified, hard working professional colleagues, (even one from Oxford and one from Harvard). I didn't get my job from a recruiter, was a direct hire for a US dep't of defense contractor, (US aircraft company), and also ICAO.

In my personal experiences, the following observation from Nomad Soul did not describe those I worked with in SA:

"the majority (but not all) of those preoccupied with earnings seem to have minimal teaching experience plus a BA or MA in a major unrelated to TEFL, so their personal interest and commitment to quality teaching falls low on their list, if at all. And since they don't have the requisite education, they end up being a "warm body" for contracting companies that lure job applicants year round with the promise of quick, big money. They're also very critical of the students and culture---even a bit ethnocentric at times.

Maybe things have changed since I was in SA in the 80s and 90s before moving on to the UAE.

I mostly had a good time both on and off the job.

Very Happy
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2buckets wrote:

I mostly had a good time both on and off the job.

Very Happy

That's the impression I got.

I will say this though- I can get beyond 'superficial' and into downright 'despair' if my cash goes below 'eject pod' safe level. Then suddenly EF doesn't sound so bad at all! Don a Santa outfit? Sure! Why not? A guy like Jesus might have told the rich boy to give all his money away and follow him, but I'm not good at following and I'm not ready to die in a ditch. Not yet anyway. lol
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2buckets wrote:
There's a lot more to the Persian Gulf than money.

Long, paid summer vacations, plus lots of paid national holidays.
Great weather most of the working year.
Lots of seaside activities, (sailing, windsurfing, SCUBA, fishing, swimming).
Good restaurants, featuring a variety from every part of the world.
Availability of an international array of foodstuffs in the market.
Centrally located for travel east and west with great connections and direct flights. (Dubai just surpassed London on passenger traffic).
Ever increasing cultural events.

And, you can afford all of the above.

I enjoyed many years in the Gulf.

Thanks 2buckets. I Just signed a contract for a job in Oman and that's exactly what I am hoping for Cool.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="1st Sgt Welsh"]
2buckets wrote:
Thanks 2buckets. I Just signed a contract for a job in Oman and that's exactly what I am hoping for Cool.

I'm in Oman if you need a heads up. Been here three+ years.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Oman is a nice place to teach...but beware of the BLACK magic Good luck! Smile
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MuscatGary"]
1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
2buckets wrote:

I'm in Oman if you need a heads up. Been here three+ years.

Thanks MuscatGary! I might just do that Smile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: