Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Myanmar 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myanmar2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Myanmar 2014 Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I have a couple of questions about Myanmar. I hope someone can shed a little bit more light on it. I have already read the recent posts on this website about Myanmar and I have googled and searched the internet as much as possible about jobs in Myanmar. There is not too much information on this subject yet. I have experience teaching English in Korea. I have a BA and will have an online TEFL certificate shortly. Here are some questions, feel free to respond if you have any helpful information! I am easily adaptable and enjoy new surroundings!

1. Is there a perfect time to go to find a job? One website mentioned that the main hiring season is April through June, although hiring does go on throughout the year.
2. Is it correct to assume Myanmar is a county where most of the jobs available, you have to apply in person? Unlike Korea where you are hired overseas.
3. Is finding a job easy, do you get a lot of job offers?
4. What is the average pay? I have seen websites post $1500-3000 per month.
5. Do most teachers have only one full-time job? Or a couple of part-time jobs?
6. Is doing private tutoring an option also? As a means of extra income.
7. What do you enjoy about Myanmar? What is some of the most inconvenient things about Myanmar?
8. Do school pay for apartments? Help find one? Give you a stipend? Say it's on you? Or is it something you can negotiate?

Thanks for your responses!
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=84279

Rolling Eyes
simon44

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught in Myanmar in 2012-2013 (May), then took an interim job in Laos, now returning to teach again in Myanmar from Jan 2014.

To give an up-to-date answer to your questions:

1. Is there a perfect time to go to find a job? One website mentioned that the main hiring season is April through June, although hiring does go on throughout the year.

The school year ends at end of June. Some of the better schools will hire staff via ISS/SA many months before the start of the new school year, whilst others will hiore at reasonable short notice.

I was hired for my latest job at short notice, due to the existing teacher leaving after one term. Such abrupt events are not unusual in Myanmar because the environment may be a shock to teachers with little/no experience of living in a very poor country.

2. Is it correct to assume Myanmar is a county where most of the jobs available, you have to apply in person? Unlike Korea where you are hired overseas.

Schools often prefer to hire people that they know or can obtain references from in-country colleagues. But Skype interviews for out-of-country applicants are possible, (if the internet is working...)

3. Is finding a job easy, do you get a lot of job offers?

There is a limited number of international/bilingual schools, mostly in Yangon and Mandalay. So the number of job opportunities is much less than say south Korea. There are many language schools, but the hourly rate is not so high - see below

4. What is the average pay? I have seen websites post $1500-3000 per month.

Typically about $2,000 per month for an international school, plus $700 per month housing allowance. Hourly rates of pay hover around $20 maximum, but many language schools will not offer this.

5. Do most teachers have only one full-time job? Or a couple of part-time jobs?

Many employment contracts forbid working for another employer. This is because your business visa on arrival is obtained based upon a letter of invitation from your main employer. If you take a second job and 'upset' someone, it's your main employer who may get hassle by immigration.

That being said, I got permission from my main employer to work for a vocational college as well, and I also taught monks and poor kids for free.

6. Is doing private tutoring an option also? As a means of extra income.
Yes, it's a realistic option, but only at the student's house or a public location, especially if the student is female or a youngster.

7. What do you enjoy about Myanmar? What is some of the most inconvenient things about Myanmar?

I enjoy the people, the language, the changes that are taking place, the old colonial architecture, the street shops and of course Myanmar beer!

I hate the pig intestine street food and betal-nut spitting by almost every man, woman and child. Of course, the internet access sucks, the lack of international banking is a problem, the lack of an international phone system is a bind also.

8. Do school pay for apartments? Help find one? Give you a stipend? Say it's on you? Or is it something you can negotiate?

Accommodation costs are going through the roof. You should definitely negotiate your employer paying for you to stay in a hotel for at least one week when you arrive in the country. Since property rental always requires 6 or 12 months of rental to be paid in advance, your school should lend this money to you.

Some schools offer their own accommodation because of the issues in finding decent rentals. If you want to rent something that's cheap ($150/month), be prepared for a shock. (My $150/month apartment in China Town that I rented in 2012 had buckets in the bedroom to catch the rain, many cockroaches in the room, rats in the building and a cold shower with brown water that was piped straight from the nearby river where my toilet waste emptied into... Of course no air-con or internet.

Good luck Smile

Simon
Revenant
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several comments by folks who were unable to post constructively have been removed. Hopefully any further contributions to the thread will follow the rules of the board, else those posters will meet the same fate as the previous ones who refused to do so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: