Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking the leap...need input

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrWright

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Taking the leap...need input Reply with quote

Hello. I haven't been a big poster to this forum over the last few years, but some of what I'm about to say I've said before elsewhere, so please forgive the redundancy. Here's the sitch: I am a public high school teacher in Arizona, 8 years experience by June, and sick, sick, sick of teaching in this system. Like, I'm done. But I've hung on because I've been a single father all these years and my youngest turns 18 in May and is going off to college. So I'm "free" now, so to speak, and ready to make this happen. I am certified to teach History and Biology. I know, I am "qualified" to teach in international schools, but I am so burned out, and I want low stress, low pressure work, and those schools are just as bad in those departments as public schools here, some worse. So ESL seems the better fit, but I am speculating as I've never done it. But without a degree in English, I think I'm screwed as far as Indonesia is concerned. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not too, too worried about money. I have some savings, that I would rather not need to tap, but just want to fund some travel for awhile. If I like it and want to do this more long term later I will concern myself with financial acquisition then. So any advise would be appreciated. I'm going to post this thread in a couple of different country forums, the ones I'm interested in teaching in. Just a warning so no one gangs up on me, lol. Please throw any and all (non-attacking) input my way. Thanks.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like you are looking for an extended vacation or travel time away from teaching.....why would a qualified subject teacher want to become an ESL teacher in, for example, an Indonesian EF? Working a 6 week most of the year-and possibly split-shifts as well...for a salary that you could well end up 'supplementing' for a decent lifestyle.....the better language schools? Wall Street, for example-they won't be able to legally hire you without the 'English degree'...truth is, your past experience as a qualified subject teacher in the US, [particularly with regards to Science] puts you in a much better/stronger position looking for a job here doing the same, than switching to the comparatively poorly paid realm of ESL teaching...
pauleslteacher1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest teaching History or Biology at a National/Plus school as you would be teaching ESL students. The salaries are usually a lot higher than the language schools and the experience is much more rewarding! Indonesia for me is wonderful place to teach and live!
MrWright

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me more about these national/plus schools. Is there a particular hiring season? Should I job hunt from abroad or boots on the ground? I would prefer to teach History. How are the kids?
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a broad range [in terms of standards] of 'international' schools here that you could apply to. The old 'National +' name has pretty much been gone for the last 3-4 years since all the old Nat+ schools were required to upgrade to 'International' status through accreditation. It was at this point that having 'relevant' degrees came into play with regards to obtaining the Kitas. Couple of pointers for you-'indonesianexpat.com' website has a good list of these International schools if you want to approach them direct. Another idea is to register with 'JobsDB.com'-post your resume and they will email you any suitable openings at these schools.....or of course there's always Dave's job board!
MrWright

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they local kids? If so, what's it like teaching them? Are they somewhat well behaved and willing to work/learn?
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said before, standards can vary between different 'levels' of the international schools-but generally speaking the kids will be from middle class backgrounds, and the parents will have invested a considerable amount in the education of their offspring.....so they expect results! I taught at both EF and 2 Nat + schools...undoubtedly-kids and parents both regard the school more seriously than the language course establishment. The behavior was pretty good....
pauleslteacher1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

National Schools are the ones to look at and they generally start their school year in mid July, so you should start looking now. These schools have Indonesian students who are usually pretty keen to learn from a native teacher. Check out this site for some examples: http://www.jakartaexpat.com/community/schools.html
Toast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't done so already check also the livinginindonesiaforum.org You'll get a lot of up to date info about job options and potential visa issues. Daves can get a little slow on the Indo side of things.
princesss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toast wrote:
If you haven't done so already check also the livinginindonesiaforum.org You'll get a lot of up to date info about job options and potential visa issues. Daves can get a little slow on the Indo side of things.

I second this recommendation. Especially if you are looking for a National Plus job, try Living in Indonesia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: