Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do universities pay expat professors so little in China?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RWA1981

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Why do universities pay expat professors so little in China? Reply with quote

Yeah we get a free apartment but the value of the apartment is only 4,000 yuan per month at most. I think its crazy that professors earn less than most expat kindergarten teachers in China.
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of people who work at a university. I have not met many professors. For many if not most, 'foreign expert' is a bit of a misnomer.

It is also related to public vs. private institutions, workload, appeal of job and ability to attract candidates etc.
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think its crazy that professors earn less than most expat kindergarten teachers in China.

I think mostly well deserved....kids are he!!
LPKSA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Chinese Uni. professors (of Chinese nationality) are expected to research, publish, research, publish, etc. etc. etc.

That's where their money comes from.

It doesn't matter to them if you (foreign experts also working as professors) are published or not, actually, that would depend on where you are working. Some Chinese Universities prefer to hire foreign experts who are published and have research experience.

I taught PhD holders communication skills in English (writing, speaking, reading). I only had a BA when I did this. You should have seen their CVs, Research experience and publication is important if you wish to advance in China as a Uni. professor. Sadly, TESOL experience without an MA or research and publication track record won't get you far. They won't necessarily look down on you, but you also won't be considered for advancement.

A 4,000 RMB per month apartment is not bad. If you don't mind me asking, at what Uni. are you teaching?
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Why do universities pay expat professors so little in Ch Reply with quote

RWA1981 wrote:
Yeah we get a free apartment but the value of the apartment is only 4,000 yuan per month at most. I think its crazy that professors earn less than most expat kindergarten teachers in China.

Prove it.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
mw182006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he didn't start off this account by blasting links to his favorite site? Ruh roh, someone is learning!
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mw182006 wrote:
So he didn't start off this account by blasting links to his favorite site? Ruh roh, someone is learning!

Just you wait. In due time, in due time.

Cool

Warm regards,
fat_chris
choudoufu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Why do universities pay expat professors so little in Ch Reply with quote

RWA1981 wrote:

prolly cause them 'perfessers' spend half their time spamming interwebs
forums with spamalicious spam.
Shroob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean professors as in western PhD holders with tenure? Or 'professors' who yeach oral English with a BA in history?
choudoufu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mw182006 wrote:

check his/her/its history.....all them links to the beispammer.
Banner41

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mw182006 wrote:

Ha! Yea....The model is to write posts and replies for exactly 30 days. Seem concerned and outraged for 1 week, then "do research" to find organizations that come to the aid of the poor helpless foreign teacher. Give it a few more days my friend. It's coming!
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
mw182006 wrote:

check his/her/its history.....all them links to the beispammer.

Ah! the brospammer!

Warm regards,
fat_chris
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banner41 wrote:
Ha! Yea....The model is to write posts and replies for exactly 30 days. Seem concerned and outraged for 1 week, then "do research" to find organizations that come to the aid of the poor helpless foreign teacher. Give it a few more days my friend. It's coming!

+1

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, these popinjays!

Welcome to the forum. AGAIN.

*Edit* gaining the position and title of professor isn't a matter of just earning a degree. One may become an associate professor with a mere MA or MS if he is lucky enough to be awarded the position by his school. Ph.Ds are awarded professorship by jumping through hoops (usually by publishing something notable or scoring grants for the department) or through connections. A Chinese university is highly unlikely to grant a foreign teacher any sort of position within the university such as professor.

Them's the world politics of academia.

As for "professors" coming to China to do research, I am sure that it occurs, but it's not too likely that they'll be working oral English positions at Lucky Joe's Language Emporium and Pink Light Barbershop. The most likely scenario is that a western academic would be the recipient of one of approximately 800 student Fulbright scholarships to allow him to live and study at a TOP tier university, and perhaps teach a few hours per week for a stipend. The Fulbright scholarship-in-residence program pays the rest.

Given the fact that the number of such scholarships are limited and are scattered among recipients who intend to study in places other than China, the chances of any of us encountering one is slim.

As for western Ph.Ds teaching in China: can you say "Box of Cereal "or Box of Crackerjack"? Or Ph.D in Life's Experiences from Belford University?

Anecdote: at one university, I saw a delegation of westerners enter the campus, then head to the administration building and disappear into a conference room. I asked the Foreign Teacher Liaison who they were and why they were on the campus.

"They are here to discuss the Chinese educational system."

--- Why wasn't I invited? I could probably fill them in on things that would never occur to them to ask.

"That's precisely why you weren't invited."

Go figure.
Guerciotti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LPKSA wrote:
Many Chinese Uni. professors (of Chinese nationality) are expected to research, publish, research, publish, etc. etc. etc.

That's where their money comes from.

Yes, they get a grant of 5000 to write about xxx subject. They ask the FT to do it for free and when that fails they assign the subject as the senior students' thesis, cobble a few together and publish that.
Quite sophisticated. Don't think I could pull that off, but fascinating to watch.
Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: