Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Long Until I get job offer through EDB?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonnieColeman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you applying for the secondary or primary scheme? If it's the primary scheme then apply for the next intake. If it's the secondary scheme then it's probably best to wait until you have the PGCE.

I don't have a PGCE, but will have a Masters soon enough. I had experience doing the same thing in Korea as well.
kpjf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm applying for secondary. I had thought about applying for the next intake because the PGCE would be finished next June/July, but you're probably right in that it would be better applying in a year. It's just that I'm not sure I really want to do the PGCE induction year in UK and had thought about just working somewhere else right after instead of doing that.

RonnieColeman wrote:
If it's the primary scheme then apply for the next intake. If it's the secondary scheme then it's probably best to wait until you have the PGCE.

Why is that? Is the primary NET programme easier to get on? I wonder can you be a primary NET then request a transfer to secondary for the next year.
RonnieColeman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was able to get on the primary scheme before I completed my MA.

For the secondary scheme the minimum requirement is having a masters, so you would be at the bottom of the recruitment list. If you have a PGCE, it would bump you higher up in the category list. So with just a masters you would be at level 7, with PGCE and experience you would be at level 4 I think. You can check here http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/sch-admin/admin/about-sch-staff/net-scheme/recruitment-secondary-net.html
kpjf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonnieColeman wrote:
Yeah, I was able to get on the primary scheme before I completed my MA.

For the secondary scheme the minimum requirement is having a masters, so you would be at the bottom of the recruitment list. If you have a PGCE, it would bump you higher up in the category list. So with just a masters you would be at level 7, with PGCE and experience you would be at level 4 I think. You can check here http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/sch-admin/admin/about-sch-staff/net-scheme/recruitment-secondary-net.html

Hi

Thanks, I've seen that link before.

I had been thinking if I applied now by the time July came I would have my PGCE completed. Of course you're meant to do an induction year in England, but outside of the UK you still have PGCE/QTS without that as far as I know.

Not sure if it would be better doing induction year or after PGCE teaching English somewhere, as it says

Quote:
at least 1 year’s post-graduate experience of teaching English (preferably as a second or foreign language) at secondary level or above.

There are positions in France I was looking at teaching English in universities there, called "lecteur d'anglais", but maybe doing the induction year PGCE is better (long-term speaking).

So, are you currently a PNET? I'm a bit confused sorry!
RonnieColeman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I should've said in the pool of teachers not on the scheme!

The reason I would wait is because you won't have your certificate at the time of application and by the time you interview. So it would cost you money to get your certificate verified for the scheme.

I'm not sure whether it would be better to stay in the UK or go to France. I guess it depends on if you see your long term term plan in the UK? I think getting QTS as soon as possible will help you out long term as it will open up the International School route to you.
kpjf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ronnie. To be honest I have ZERO desires to stick around the UK teaching (well, at least at the moment) and think if I got into the HK programme in a few years and liked living there it could definitely be a long term thing. Some of those international schools seem too competitive and maybe people have 3 years' experience or more in UK so I'm not too fussed if I don't get into international schools if I can get into the SNET programme.

I guess I could go to do the France thing after the PGCE, and try for the SNET programme and see what happens given that if I do the induction year right after I wouldn't be able to apply to the SNET programme for 2 years. And you can always do the induction another time if you want to.

Thanks again Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: