Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your most embarrassing teaching moment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mortilap

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Your most embarrassing teaching moment? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Curious to hear if anyone has had any really embarrassing moments. Only thing I've encountered was a hole near my crotch once... Embarassed
neverheardofem

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TP for CELTA - all of it, but especially the moment I fell off a chair.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarrassing teaching moment? Not quite about me teaching. More about having placed new students in a class, explained to them how communicative methodology works, how our native English-speaking teachers are just fab, how much the class will help students achieve their goals, and then soon afterwards observing the same students with a clown of a teacher making a total hash of a simple learning point, and wanting the ground to swallow me up so as to escape the students' accusing scowls and recrimination.
stinkytofu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only in China two weeks when this happened.

Another teaching invited to KTV(karaoke), I didn't know there are different types of karaoke in China. The women pouring our drinks and singing with us were actually hookers, no one told me. I made the mistake of telling my adult class after which the students and Chinese staff stopped talking to me. It wasn't until 4 months later I found out what had happened. No, I did not go on a "date" with them. I just figured the hookers worked at the brothel down the street but that's not how it works in China.

Barbershops in China also employ hookers. I do not recommend telling your class you got a haircut.
RussianWinter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever reason, I always tend to screw up in front of one particular class - drop my papers, tell them to turn to the wrong page, etc. It appears to be a curse of some kind. Well, today I wrote down my lesson based on what the co-teacher had done last time - do these pages in the textbook, cover this part of the exam book. I wrote the wrong page and planned a lesson around it! Twenty minutes in, the students asked me why they had to do it all over again. They'd done it last class! I apologized and immediately moved on to the next thing, and the rest of the lesson went okay, but my god, I looked like such a moron.
John Kalani

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My students always ask me about grammar and I say it ain't important and I can teach by natural ear method. i always know whts right but i can't tell them.
jaffa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farting.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The night before starting some corporate classes in Shanghai, I'd been cooked some snails as part of a dinner with a student's family. I guess they'd dredged them from Suzhou Creek or worse, as I was feeling pretty queasy by the time the taxi pulled up at Nike. I just about made it into their toilets before barfing into a sink then shall we say gassing out I mean freshening one of their cubicles. Upon limping out, breath a bit smelly (no mouthwash or toothpaste or breath freshener on me - never made that mistake again!) and looking somewhat worse for wear, I bent down to pick up a huge box of newly-delivered textbooks and promptly ripped the seat of my (Chinese-bought, single-stitch) trousers wide open. After cackling with laughter with my colleagues for a good minute or two and showing them the split, I realized I'd luckily worn a cardigan and could tie the arms around my waist and cover up my exposed breezy rear. I spent that first class keeping my stinky distance from the students and making sure I didn't give them an eyeful or lungful or anything. So yeah, I think you could say that was my most embarrassing and uncomfortable lesson. To be sure, there have been quite a few others (anyone wants more, just ask lol), but that's the one that's stuck in my mind about the most.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:
I just about made it into their toilets before barfing into a sink then shall we say gassing out I mean freshening one of their cubicles. Upon limping out, breath a bit smelly (no mouthwash or toothpaste or breath freshener on me - never made that mistake again!) and looking somewhat worse for wear, I bent down to pick up a huge box of newly-delivered textbooks and promptly ripped the seat of my (Chinese-bought, single-stitch) trousers wide open.

WOW!

...and at that point you're thinking: "Hey! What else could go wrong?"

Warm regards,
fat_chris
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffy hamster wrote:
I'd been cooked some snails as part of a dinner with a student's family. I guess they'd dredged them from Suzhou Creek or worse

Shocked

Oh my!

Warm regards,
fat_chris
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What went wrong was that I had to teach English. Laughing
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that will be the post that can't be topped. Good show, Fluffy!
maxand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
fluffy hamster wrote:
I'd been cooked some snails as part of a dinner with a student's family. I guess they'd dredged them from Suzhou Creek or worse

Shocked

Oh my!

Warm regards,
fat_chris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nSKkwzwdW4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: