Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trans-Trend Language Teaching center in Tangshan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sswilson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Trans-Trend Language Teaching center in Tangshan Reply with quote

Has anyone worked for the Trans-Trend Language Teaching center in Tangshan? I have a job offer on the table but I can't find any information on them in the forum.

Also, what is the area like? I know it is a primarily an industrial city so I am curious about what there is to do there and everything.

Thanks!
Dark Machine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I've also gotten an offer from this place, wondered what anyone's experience of the company was. sswilson did you take the job? What was it like?
nedney

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any useful knuggets about this organization and location?
therock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in Hebei, Hebei = hole!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

therock wrote:

Don't make value judgements.

One man's hole is another man's armpit.

I have no direct knowledge of the place in question, for the record.
therock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7969 wrote:
therock wrote:

Don't make value judgements.

One man's hole is another man's armpit.

I have no direct knowledge of the place in question, for the record.

Have you been to or lived in Hebei? Tangshan?

As you say, you have no direct knowledge of the place...I do, lived there for two years.

So, I repeat, Hebei is a dump. It is near Beijing though and it's a good place to learn Chinese.
therock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, I just saw this school's advertisement. This is what they are offering:

1.On-the-job training and workshops
2.RMB6000�7000 salary Rolling Eyes
3.Two weeks paid holiday
4.Flight allowance
5.Free furnished apartment
6.Residence permit
7.Free Chinese classes
8.No more than 25 lessons a week (this means you'll be teaching 25 hours a week) Rolling Eyes

and this is what they are expecting:

Applicant qualifications:
1.Native English-speaker; (no native speaker should even consider this offer)
2.Bachelor degree or above; (yeah right, anyone with a Bachelor degree accepting this should have their head checked)
3.TEFL or TESOL Certificate or experience teaching; Rolling Eyes
4.In good health condition; (the school should be happy if the person has a pulse)
5.Outgoing and passionate for helping young students to learn.

+

you have to live in a hole.

=

wouldn't touch this offer with a 10 foot pole.
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nedney wrote:
Anyone have any useful knuggets about this organization and location?

therock wrote:
Hebei is a dump...Hebei = hole!!... Rolling Eyes

Not so sure these are "useful nuggets", more basic thoughts without any kind of explanation backing them up. Maybe if you say more about the place the poster can then use said information to make up their mind. You said you had two years of experience in the place, so am sure they would be interested in what you have to say. I realise you feel this person should be living in some kind of Chinese eden earning 25,000RMB a month while teaching 5 hours a week or something, but actual input would probably be a lot more helpful than emoticons. Just a thought.
therock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dean_a_jones wrote:
[ I realise you feel this person should be living in some kind of Chinese eden earning 25,000RMB a month while teaching 5 hours a week or something, .

I think you're having reading trouble again!

If you want to earn a decent salary, then you have to work for it. I have never ever said salaries should be XXX amount for XXX amount of hours. Could you please point out where I have quoted a salary with a number of hours worked? I support and advocate salaries being fair and rising accordingly, but at the end of the day, I couldn't care less if people are going to accept these low paid, high work load salaries. You on the other hand seem to advocate low salaries with a high work load, do you have some vested interest in salaries being kept low?

To earn 25K a month, then expect to work a good 40 hours a week, plus take home work. It's called "teaching" that's what us real teachers have to do to bring in the big bucks. If people who can't read and want to call themselves a teacher because they have a 4 week TEFL, that's fine by me. Furthermore if these clowns want to flush their life down the drain with a 16 hour a week job for 4k a month, that's their choice.

China has many many opportunities!! It's a place of extremes!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So anyone with a job description that doesn't match yours isn't a "real teacher" and anyone with different priorities than you is a "clown?" What insight.

You (often) say Hebei is a "hole." I don't recall you ever saying why it's a hole. Why not add something to qualify the statement? That might actually be a useful nugget for this thread.

Last edited by 7969 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

therock wrote:
I think you're having reading trouble again!

dean_a_jones wrote:
Maybe if you say more about the place the poster can then use said information to make up their mind

dean_a_jones wrote:
You said you had two years of experience in the place, so am sure they would be interested in what you have to say

dean_a_jones wrote:
actual input would probably be a lot more helpful

Hmm. But thanks for responding to my sarcastic comment anyway.

OP/latest poster asking for info - am sure you have seen this but if not here you go: http://middlekingdomlife.com/guide/living-teaching-english-tangshan-hebei.htm. Worth noting it is a couple of years old.
maxand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught in Tianjin and visited Tangshan a few times.

Tangshan is an industrial city. If you are looking for trees, green hills and mountains, tangshan is not for you lol...

Tangshan has most of the western businesses you require. mcdonalds, kfc, pizza hut, carrefour, etc... But, I have to warn you, as an industrial town, tangshan is quite boring. Not much to do, nightlife is quite lacking, although you can learn putonghua quickly. The people there are quite friendly. Luckily for you, big cities such as Tianjin and Beijing are quite close to Tangshan---usually 1-3 hours by regular train. If you have access to youtube, here is a picture video of tangshan....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrG93THTp9E

if you require anything else, please let me know
nedney

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dean_a_jones wrote:

OP/latest poster asking for info - am sure you have seen this but if not here you go: http://middlekingdomlife.com/guide/living-teaching-english-tangshan-hebei.htm. Worth noting it is a couple of years old.

maxand wrote:

Tangshan is an industrial city. If you are looking for trees, green hills and mountains, tangshan is not for you lol...

Tangshan has most of the western businesses you require. mcdonalds, kfc, pizza hut, carrefour, etc... But, I have to warn you, as an industrial town, tangshan is quite boring. Not much to do, nightlife is quite lacking, although you can learn putonghua quickly. The people there are quite friendly. Luckily for you, big cities such as Tianjin and Beijing are quite close to Tangshan---usually 1-3 hours by regular train. If you have access to youtube, here is a picture video of tangshan....

These are very helpful, thank you both. I guess I'd have to determine my balance between a desire to learn the language and having a social life.. :/
maxand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nedney wrote:
dean_a_jones wrote:

maxand wrote:

These are very helpful, thank you both. I guess I'd have to determine my balance between a desire to learn the language and having a social life.. :/

If a social life is important to you, try Tianjin. It has a few good universities (nankai, tianjin university) and quite a few good bars. If a good nightlife is important, avoid tangshan Laughing
nedney

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxand wrote:
nedney wrote:
dean_a_jones wrote:

maxand wrote:

If a social life is important to you, try Tianjin. It has a few good universities (nankai, tianjin university) and quite a few good bars. If a good nightlife is important, avoid tangshan Laughing

Not so much a good nightlife, really, just a few expats I can hang out with, or whom I can ask to direct me to, say, a place to find toiletries. I don't need a particularly vibrant social life outside of the job, but some semblance of one I think is not too much to ask for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: