Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheapest Place to Get a Certified DELTA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebooktrial0001

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Cheapest Place to Get a Certified DELTA? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

1. I'm seriously considering getting a DELTA, simply because some people I've spoken to feel it was a good investment.

2. Will it open up any lucrative job posts?

(The most I've gotten paid is housing + $4200 a month in Saudi Arabia; I saved $3500 every month for six months). Is there any way I could get something that good or better?

I've subbed at 8 different job posts these last three years. So, I know I don't have much continuity to impress people; I'm also hoping it'll be a great job where a lay-off, or (in the case of Saudi) turnover.

3. What are the cheapest places to get it?

I've heard International House, Barcelona has it for under 3000 Euro's.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheapest Place to Get a Certified DELTA? Reply with quote

ebooktrial0001 wrote:
1. I'm seriously considering getting a DELTA, simply because some people I've spoken to feel it was a good investment.

2. Will it open up any lucrative job posts?

(The most I've gotten paid is housing + $4200 a month in Saudi Arabia; I saved $3500 every month for six months). Is there any way I could get something that good or better?

Frankly, those who told you it's a good investment should be able to answer your questions. But I doubt you'll get much more in salary outside of the Gulf unless you have a related MA. And that would trump the Delta.
Richard62

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Module 1 (exam) and Module 3 (course design), you don't need to take any course. You can just prepare for the exam and write up your course proposal at home. You can sit the exam in June or December at the nearest examination centre. The submission deadline for the course design is also the same.

It will help a lot if you take a course to prepare, but if your aim is to save money, one can pass these two modules without paying any money (except the exam fee, and the submission fee for the course design).

You can do the Module 2 at ITI in Istanbul for about 1500 euros + 8% tax.
backtothefront

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to do the Mod 1 exam you need a Delta tutor to assess your past paper attempts to ensure it is at the right standard. You can't just show up and pass the exam. Your looking at £500 for this part. It has a 30% failure rate.

The rest is supposedly easier. Call it 2k for the Delta module 2 depending on country and £400 for the module 3.

I tried mod 1 twice and failed. You need to be working at a quality school teaching higher levels of ESL to ensure you have the experience to pass. Teaching in Asian public schools just didn't cut it, for me.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked into the distance delta? There are two. Thedistancedelta and the one through Bell. I'm looking at doing mod three with Bell since you can choose your dates.
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Delta course providers Reply with quote

There is a course search function on the Cambridge English website:

http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/find-a-centre/find-a-teaching-centre/

For Module 1 there are 181 centres in more than 50 countries throughout the world.
ebooktrial0001

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Very cool. Thanks for the link.

2. Do you have any suggestions on where to take it?

Although it didn't happen with the CELTA, I'm guessing taking the DELTA in certain places will at least get a job offer.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Delta Reply with quote

I can't make any recommendations about who to take it with, or where. Regarding job prospects, I imagine the who is more important than the where. Bell and International House are generally well-regarded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: