Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is ESL For Losers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fat_chris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Join the Party! Advance!

Party hearty, dudes!

Advance! Go forward! Effort!

Warm regards,
fat_chris
John Kalani

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is ESL For Losers? I am certainly a loser. John Kalani! That's me.
djunamod

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Nomad Soul has a very relevant question - how do we define "loser"?

My parents idea of a success is someone who does the conventional thing - gets a degree in something that is considered safe in the job world (like sales/marketing, HR, etc - although no profession is really safe in this economy, is it?), getting a job at a big company, rising through the ranks, sticking with it through all the boring years, and coming away with a big chunk of money and a retirement plan.

My dad raves about a friend of his whose kids have all done this path. One son is in investment banking, one son has an MBA, and the daughter has an HR job. They are all doing the "suburban house with a car" thing. By those standards, his kids are losers. My brother kicked around the high tech world for a while but decided to start his own high art business which had him traveling all around the world. When that failed, he went into real estate investment and although he is not poor, he is always on the edge of his finances. My sister and I both teach and tutor, mostly online. Both of us are living hand to mouth.

However, if you asked me to get a degree in business or HR and go into a "real" job, I would never do it. I love what I do. I am happier now than I ever was when I was working in the corporate world. By my definition, I am not a loser because I am living in a much freer (psychologically) situation than I was before. Yeah, I'm not rich, but I have a little money saved up for emergencies and if I decide to try and tutor EFL privately (which I might some day), I can do that. If I decide to work for a school, I can do that. I get the satisfaction of seeing students learn and improve and I get to talk to students from all over the world about all kinds of topics. I know more about the culture and mentality and situation in Spain, France, Italy, Mexico, Germany, and a handful of other countries than my parents ever will from talking with my students.

Is that being a loser? I don't think so.

Djuna
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear djunamod.

I agree. If you think not making loads of money makes you a "loser," then ESL/EFL is chock-full of "losers" (and most other jobs are, too).

But if you think "success" means spending your working life doing something you like/love to do, getting to see a lot of the world in the process, and having the satisfaction of knowing that you're helping others achieve their goals, then ESL/EFL is chock-full of "winners" (unlike so many other jobs).

Getting the right qualifications is essential, though. You don't want to end up with little in the bank at the end of your career.

I've been ESL/EFLing for over 35 years now. If I wanted, I could retire at any time, but why should I? I'm still enjoying what I do too much.

To my mind, being a "loser" is spending your life working at a job you don't like, so you can retire and sit around wondering what the point of it all was.

Regards,
John
grahamb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Losers Reply with quote

From the film "Little Miss Sunshine" (2006):

"A real loser is someone who's so afraid of not winning he doesn't even try."

As good a definition as I've seen. The film is a real gem, with a great performance by Alan Arkin.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djunamod wrote:
I think Nomad Soul has a very relevant question - how do we define "loser"?

More specifically, I asked how the OP defines the label of loser because it's about judging or stereotyping others based on their career/job choice. By the way, the OP hasn't been back on this thread since first posting what he/she deemed an "important" topic three days ago.
ebooktrial0001

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Hmm...since you asked, to me, a "winner" would be a person who knew this job was a perfect fit for him, as I define success as doing your best, being yourself, and having it all work out.

A loser would be someone who is in a job he/she doesn't like, isn't very good at it, and doesn't know what else to do.

2. Out of a job, I believe the most important thing is transferable skills.

Realistically, most people today will switch careers, unless you were a good fit for a military career, etc. that have very set tracks.

I see the life experiences of ESL as VERY transferable (starting over with everything in a new part of the world, learning to save money, keep friendships from back home, etc.). If being able to start with relatively nothing and move forward isn't transferable, I don't know what else is.

Sadly, I don't feel the skills are very transferable. I.e. if I were to work for a few years in a STEM field, it would have great skills I could develop then use elsewhere. ESL does no such thing.

Additionally, although prestige matters nothing in the objective sense, to some people it adds legitimacy. I went to an Ivy League school and they are obsessive, incestuously so, about associating with other Ivy League people (hence adding to their feeling of being trapped).

3. I will admit, I don't want to stay in the ESL field forever. Realistically, I am mediocre at best and have only done it for about two years to pay down my undergraduate debt.

I'm grateful to have a job and be able to live in other countries. But, still, I know it's time for me to move on when I have a chance.
rtm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebooktrial0001 wrote:
A loser would be someone who is in a job he/she doesn't like, isn't very good at it, and doesn't know what else to do.

Quote:
I will admit, I don't want to stay in the ESL field forever. Realistically, I am mediocre at best and have only done it for about two years to pay down my undergraduate debt.

I think what you're saying, basically, is that you consider yourself a loser. That really is too bad that you're doing a job that you know you don't enjoy. I think there are probably a lot of people in similar situations -- people who were attracted by the low barrier to entry in some places in the world and relatively good salary, compared to other unskilled labor.

If you realize you don't like it, and have only invested a couple of years in it, I'd recommend you stop this and start doing something that you enjoy. The rest of us who do enjoy this work will keep at it.

ESL/EFL can make a nice career for those who are interested in it, are knowledgeable about it, and do a good job at it. Personally, I love my job, am good at what I do, and get paid a decent wage. I wouldn't consider myself a loser.

Your argument about transferable skills is only relevant if one intends for ESL/EFL teaching to be a temporary thing. That doesn't apply to many of us. If you were only planning on doing this for a short term and then moving to a completely unrelated career, then I'd say EFL teaching was a bad choice for you, career-wise. Likewise, if I had started in a STEM field intending only to do it for a couple of years, and then move to EFL teaching, I would also not have many transferable skills.
Big Worm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your job is just part of what makes you a winner or loser. And yes, it is important. However...

How do you manage your life as a whole? Are you able to establish long term, meaningful, rewarding relationships with other people, romantic and otherwise? Can you manage you personal habits (alcohol/substances, diet, even hygiene) in a healthy manner? Can you take care of your financial responsibilities and prepare for the future? Can you own up to your mistakes, and continue to improve yourself throughout your life? Can you balance doing things that make you happy while taking care of other things that are important (not being selfish)? Can you be someone that other people look up to, while obviously not being perfect?

These are some of the things off the top of my head that separate winners from losers.

By these standards, yes, there3 are a lot of losers in esl. Not really sure if there are more than other parts of life tho. If anything, I'd say there are a lot of losers that are working in getting it together.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebooktrial0001 wrote:
1. Hmm...since you asked, to me, a "winner" would be a person who knew this job was a perfect fit for him, as I define success as doing your best, being yourself, and having it all work out.

By your explanation, these labels are self perceptions---how one feels about oneself---and aren't ascribed by others. In other words, your definition, expectations, and assessment of your situation are yours alone and not that of others. Moreover, these feelings of self doubt or low self esteem aren't so much tied to a particular profession.

and wrote:
2. Out of a job, I believe the most important thing is transferable skills.

I see the life experiences of ESL as VERY transferable (starting over with everything in a new part of the world, learning to save money, keep friendships from back home, etc.). If being able to start with relatively nothing and move forward isn't transferable, I don't know what else is.

Sadly, I don't feel the skills are very transferable. I.e. if I were to work for a few years in a STEM field, it would have great skills I could develop then use elsewhere. ESL does no such thing.

Learning to save money, heading to a new life in another part of the world, and staying connected with friends are not transferable skills in the context of careers by any stretch of imagination. What about tolerating ambiguity, being flexible and adaptable, cross-cultural communication, cultural tolerance, organization skills, facilitation/training skills, conflict (classroom) management, editing/proofing, writing...? Of course, moving into a different field likely means getting additional training or starting at entry level.

lastly wrote:
3. I will admit, I don't want to stay in the ESL field forever. Realistically, I am mediocre at best and have only done it for about two years to pay down my undergraduate debt.

And yet, on another thread, you mentioned going for a Delta. Confused Anyway, you chose to get into TEFL for the wrong reason (i.e., the money) and subsequently, aren't happy with that decision---a bit of buyer's remorse so to speak. Plus, you're teaching in Libya, which has added stress because of the instability and restrictions. I'm in Iraq, so I can empathize with you to some extent. But in no way do I feel like a loser.

Figure out what it is you want to do in life and start making your plan; it will keep you busy and moving forward in your life. Frankly, instead of keeping friendships going, you need to get going on networking.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to congratulate everyone who has posted so far.

I don't think anyone has misspelled "loser" as "looser." Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (Something only a loser would do).

Regards,
John
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I recently introduced those two commonly confused words to my students. Wink
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
I would like to congratulate everyone who has posted so far.

I don't think anyone has misspelled "loser" as "looser." Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (Something only a loser would do).

Regards,
John

John, you beat me to it. That hasn't popped up here, much to my relief.

The kicker is when people mean "loser" but spell it "looser" and insist that the latter is indeed the correct spelling. *SIGH*

I don't need to get any looser, that's for sure.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
To my mind, being a "loser" is spending your life working at a job you don't like, so you can retire and sit around wondering what the point of it all was.

This. +1

Warm regards,
fat_chris
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtm wrote:
If you realize you don't like it, and have only invested a couple of years in it, I'd recommend you stop this and start doing something that you enjoy.

Also this. Also +1.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: