Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beirut?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jm2505

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Beirut? Reply with quote

I have been teaching around various contries in East Asia, but have decided to move to the Middle East - most interested in Beirut.

Can anyone give me up-to-date info on the EFL market and day-to-day living in Beirut.

(I am a 54 year old, UK, female)

All info is useful!

Thanks in advance.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A search within this forum yielded the following:

There are probably a few more threads that you can search for on your own. Anyway, Lebanon produces its own very capable English language teachers, which is why you won't find much, if any, in the way of TEFL job postings for the country.

For current info on day-to-day living in Beirut, your best bet will be one of the popular expat forums on the Internet. Do a search for 'expat beirut forum'.
jm2505

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Beirut Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply

I did look at those threads but they date back from 2012 to 2008.

I have been in this industry long enough to know that even in 12 months a lot can change..hence my request for up to date info.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jm2505 wrote:
I did look at those threads but they date back from 2012 to 2008.

I have been in this industry long enough to know that even in 12 months a lot can change..hence my request for up to date info.

Well, perhaps with the snap of your fingers, new info on TEFL in Lebanon will just magically appear on this fourm.

Sarcasm aside, you obviously didn't read any of those threads, especially the one titiled, "Lebanon - lack of demand for ESL teachers," nor did you consider my entire post. I've been to Beirut and rarely used Arabic there because so many Lebanese already speak English---some are also fluent in French as well. Lebanon doesn't have much of a need to import native English speakers. Uh, so were you expecting a sudden major decrease in the number of English-speaking Lebanese this year?

As I suggested, for daily lfe in the country, try the expat Lebanon or Beirut forums on the Net. For info on the TEFL scene, you might also contact TESOL Lebanon, but they may not respond because you're not a member. There's also AMIDEAST Lebanon and the American Lebanese Language Center.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even before the economic crisis, jobs in Beirut were few. Now they are non-existent. Go to Saudi ! Beirut same same Riyadh !!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Go to Saudi ! Beirut same same Riyadh !!!

Not for a female... not even close...

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, we REALLY need an IRONY emoticon (but I guess scot47 could have used the "Twisted Evil one). Twisted Evil

Regards,
John
jimpellow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum really bothers me as you have all these people who don't know squat, but feel the need to shoot their mouths off with negativity that is not backed by facts.

I have spent some time in Beiruit and looked at the ESL situation. It is not as bleak as some present it to be. There are jobs there for ESL teachers, but you generally have to work harder for them. If you have an advanced degree you may be able to get work in a university and they will sponsor the visa.

You can also get work in local schools that want native speakers and by tutoring. It is not necessarily hard to do this way, but the pay in the schools is not great, and it takes time like anywhere to build up a tutoring cliental. Biggest issue here seems to be how to procure a long term visa.

Most Lebanese do not speak English well. And the ones who speak it proficiently are usually the Christian businesspeople, and many of them would like to improve it.

Most Christian Lebanese from my experience speak French at an intermediate level. You get some who refuse to learn Arabic, but seems most are practical and that Arabic is the de facto language there now.

I do not think being a woman would work against you, at least in the Christian community. The men do act a bit macho, but overall, a place where it seems that women do quite well for themselves in the Middle East.

A good number of foreigners live there, and tend to really enjoy it. So it does and can happen for the brave, but like many places you have to go there and do some door knocking and make contacts.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
This forum really bothers me as you have all these people who don't know squat, but feel the need to shoot their mouths off with negativity that is not backed by facts.

Then perhaps it would be useful to advise those interested in teaching in Lebanon on how exactly to get those positions because the information you've provided thus far is very general.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably not the best time to be thinking of travelling to Lebanon. Britain (FCO) and France have just advised against all but essential travel to Lebanon because of the increased risk of anti-Western sentiment.
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP is 100% correct. With all the fees that are charged for using this site, one would think we could get “better” answers that only positively enforces the opinions of the people posting. I mean, for all the money we are forced to spend when using this site, who wants to read opinions based on experience that might be of the opposite opinion? That’s for suckers! I know what I’m going to do BEFORE I post a question. I only seek that warm and fuzzy feeling and I pay top dollar for that feeling. I want my feeling now!

One would think that the old saying, "you get what you pay for" would apply here, but no, I mean when.... huh? What? I’m sorry…. Did you say…? We don’t…

We don't pay a penny for the advice we read on this site!!!!!?????? Are you telling me that all the people that post on this site are not employed by Daves? WE DO GET WHAT WE PAY FOR – nothing for nothing. Wow. Do you mean that the advice is given to us at no change and I can do one of three things the next time I complain about the bad service I receive?

1.Have thicker skin because it’s good training for living in the Middle East
2.Never use this site again
3.Simply take what advice helps me and ignore the rest without pouting about all the injustices in life (and on websites)???!!!

What a deal!

Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
You gotta have somethin'
If you wanna be with me

"Nothing From Nothing" By Billy Preston
ellie2012

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a relative newcomer to this site and these forums. I've refrained from positing thus far because of the 'negativity' mentioned previously - not negative comments regarding the living situation or teaching prospects of a country, but the discouragement directed towards new members who post to ascertain up to date information. The 'OP' made no snide remark, simply suggested that she wanted new information, and the response she got was completely unhelpful. 'You've obviously never read any of those threads..' At no point did the 'OP' indicate whether she had or not, and this forum is supposed to function as a platform for aiding teachers, not deterring them from using it. It seems that regular users seem to treat this as a hobby, with plenty of time to point out the 'OP's supposed mistake in not searching the forum more carefully instead of answering her questions. In the end, you'll get the same hobbyists showing off their familiarity with the forum and little incentive for newcomers to return.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested in living dangerously, I can give some contacts with some of the more serious outfits in the Beka'a Valley. Equal Opportunity employer but knowledge of Semitic Languages an advantage.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellie2012 wrote:
I'm a relative newcomer to this site and these forums. I've refrained from positing thus far because of the 'negativity' mentioned previously - not negative comments regarding the living situation or teaching prospects of a country, but the discouragement directed towards new members who post to ascertain up to date information. The 'OP' made no snide remark, simply suggested that she wanted new information, and the response she got was completely unhelpful. 'You've obviously never read any of those threads..' At no point did the 'OP' indicate whether she had or not, and this forum is supposed to function as a platform for aiding teachers, not deterring them from using it.

You read way more into my posts than what's there. You're mistaking being clear and on the up-and-up as "unhelpful" and "negative." We could have easily "encouraged" the OP by stating that there are plenty of jobs in Beirut (as jimpellow intimated before disappearing). However, that would just be telling her what she wanted to hear yet not being honest with her. And no, she wasn't snide, but I suspect she only looked at the dates of those threads I'd searched for and provided for her and didn't read the actual posts. They contained very useful information in addition to the related websites and few English language providers I was able to point her to. Anyway, I admit to being a bit frustrated with the OP because she seemed to be ignoring some of what I'd posted. But in no way is there even a hint that I was deterring her. Besides, she can do whatever she wants with the info provided her.

Packing up and moving across the world to take up a new job and life is a major life change and risk. Many of us "hobbyists" (as you call us) personally don't take these types of important decisions lightly and fully understand the consequences if a choice is poorly made if all options aren't realistically weighed. It's unfortunate that some members come to these forums with specific expectations versus an open mind and thus, perceive our straight-forward advice and info as worthless and discouraging. Frankly, I'd want someone to respond to me in good faith and not sugar coat things.

and wrote:
It seems that regular users seem to treat this as a hobby, with plenty of time to point out the 'OP's supposed mistake in not searching the forum more carefully instead of answering her questions. In the end, you'll get the same hobbyists showing off their familiarity with the forum and little incentive for newcomers to return.

I sincerely hope you stay with these forums. It helped me when I first contemplated where to teach.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellie2012 wrote:
I'm a relative newcomer to this site and these forums. I've refrained from positing thus far because of the 'negativity' mentioned previously - not negative comments regarding the living situation or teaching prospects of a country, but the discouragement directed towards new members who post to ascertain up to date information. The 'OP' made no snide remark, simply suggested that she wanted new information, and the response she got was completely unhelpful.

Much, if not most, of the negativity is caused by the attitudes of so many newbies - not necessarily by this poster. They arrive with preconceived notions and want to hear what they have already decided. There are so many misconceptions out there about the Middle East that it is both mind-boggling and frustrating for regular posters.

And it does give you a picture of the average TEFL faculty... the good, the bad, and the really eccentric. Cool

A common problem here and especially with new posters is that they have the completely incorrect assumption that things change quickly in this part of the world as far as employment. While an individual employer may get new management causing either a sudden deterioration or improvement in conditions, this isn't as true of general comments about the situation in a country.

Ignoring the extremes such as Lebanon's ten year civil war or current chaos in countries like Egypt and Syria, the reality is that little or nothing has changed about the general employment conditions in Lebanon as described in the threads from 2008 to 2012. It has never been a big market for TEFLers and still isn't. Lebanon exports English teachers around the Arab world.

In all my years on this board, there have been very few posters with experience in Lebanon... they are pretty much on those threads from 2008 to 2012. In all my years involved with teaching in the Middle East, I have known one person who was at AUB before the civil war and one who taught at LAU close to 10 years ago. I don't see advertised jobs (not that I visit job sites every day). But if they did show up, someone would show up here soon after to ask about it. So, as was likely mentioned on those other threads, it is probably a country where you have to actually go and knock on doors... almost no foreign hire jobs or benefits... but one can make a living if one works at it. Google up schools, colleges, and universities and visit their websites to see if they take applications over the web.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: