Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where did YOU get your CELTA/TESOL, and do you recommend it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paintyourtarget

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Where did YOU get your CELTA/TESOL, and do you recommend it? Reply with quote

I know the CELTA is technically 'the same everywhere', but I imagine quality of education (or at least grading rigor) must vary depending on the institution and instructors. Some of the teaching centers almost give me a 'scammy' vibe (no info disclosed, hidden fees, etc). Since it's basically a $5,000+ investment (incl. flight and accommodations), I'm trying to do as much research as possible on individual teaching centers. Since I have zero teaching experience, I want to absorb knowledge as effectively as possible.

I'd love to hear your feedback. Where did you get your certification (CELTA, TESOL, etc), and what was your experience there?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you intend to teach?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of advantages to doing a CELTA or equivalent course in the country where you want to start teaching. Course providers can be a useful bridge into country/culture - they usually deal with logistics like airport pickup and lodging during the course. Your practice teaching students will be really representative of those you'll work with when you start, and fellow trainees can form your first social network. You can also be more sure that your cert will be recognized by local employers, and a training centre can offer invaluable advice as to reputable employers.
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: CELTA providers Reply with quote

International House, Madrid, 2003. Money well spent.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many of us, my TEFL was earned so long ago (16 years) that the info wouldn't be of much use to anyone- the trainers I worked with are long gone. You might be better off to post on the newbie board, where more people are likely to have fresh certs.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Where did YOU get your CELTA/TESOL, and do you recommend Reply with quote

paintyourtarget wrote:
I'd love to hear your feedback. Where did you get your certification (CELTA, TESOL, etc), and what was your experience there?

Keep in mind that it's not unusual for training centers to go through personnel changes. Someone's great experience in 2013 at X Training Center might not describe yours at the same facility a year later. Also, unless you hold an EU passport, you won't be able to work in most of Europe. So choose your CELTA course location wisely.
das31

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Trinity Cert (CELTA equivalent) at Oxford Tefl in India. The reason I chose their new location, Kochi, is the cost of accommodation. It was only about $200 for the entire month. Also it was incredibly cheap for me to fly there from Korea, where I was living at the time.

I'd highly recommend it.

Far cheaper than a CELTA, too, at approximately 1300 euros.
coledavis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re taking the course in another country: If you are definitely intending to work there, yes. Otherwise, it might be cheaper to do it at home, assuming it's not costing much in terms of travel, rent and food.

I did CELTA in London, at St Giles (Highgate centre). A little more expensive than some, but a good experience overall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: