Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A'Sharqiyah University
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CVN-76 wrote:
Delicious, allow me to report the intuitive leaps I've made about your posts. You have used quotes in a facetious way, and I will take that to mean the students who have committed the assaults attacked teachers who were only doing their jobs, such as preventing students from cheating on exams. I will also venture to guess both students in question have very little, if any, ability, despite several years of study. This is due to their being passed to ever-higher levels through the years because they have the power to extort from (fearful) teachers passing grades. These 'students' you refer to are immune from prosecution, immune from expulsion. I will take that to mean they are also immune from being flunked on any tests/exams, so they remain enrolled year after year after year, despite not learning much, and despite possibly being failed by their teachers. Am I right so far?

I think you're describing the situation in Oman generally....
CVN-76

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to describe what you'll see in a lot of places in the entire region. You will pass all or you will be gone. That's what it comes down to. Passing the cash cows. Fail them at your own dire risk. And the 'students' know beforehand you will have to pass them, or else. They also know they can assault you and get away with it, apparently. Being a 5th-degree black belt is a requirement for these jobs, I will conclude, as is having InterPol on speed dial.

Sign me up.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
You are describing the reaction from experienced teachers

Having experience in TESOL does have one big drawback--that experience has taught us what to look out for, has trained our bloodhound noses to detect, clues that point to a bad coming experience at a new job. Some of us are even prone to Here-we-go-again-osis, a condition we quickly come down with at a new place within days after starting, a condition caused when we even slightly detect the past becoming prologue. We can't help ourselves, and our condition makes any new job a drag from the start, making it very difficult to yank our butts out of bed 5 mornings a week to trudge off to if we even suspect condtions at the new job are the same as at a job we despised in the past. I know I am a sufferer of this syndrome. I imagine others out there are as well.
madrileno

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So anyone have any updates on this lovely place?

I worked there the first year of operations back in 2010, and I'm not surprised in the least how its reputation has continued to decline.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone sure didn't like it:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Former-TESOL-Teachers-at-Al-Sharqiya-University-Oman/169588313114645
omanoman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear, THAT guy.....

I know him, or at least of him fairly well. Terminated for abuse, shouting at students etc. you can probably tell from his posts on his page.

ASU is a pretty tough gig I think. Although the area is beautiful, the students are rural and low skilled and would take a respectful and patient approach to achieve progress with them. Possible, but not if you are anything like this guy.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
oh dear, THAT guy.....

I know him, or at least of him fairly well. Terminated for abuse, shouting at students etc. you can probably tell from his posts on his page. .

Seems to be the same guy as this page judging by the similarity of the posts: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Former-TESOL-Teachers-at-Al-Marefa-Exemplary-Services-Kuwait/113537222023915
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Westerners, Americans especially, have the 'entitlement' mindset one doesn't see with Indian teachers and teachers from eastern Europe."

That's a direct quote from both pages. As an American, I object. Though, to be fair, that's one of the less-crazy things he says.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is obvious why that fellow doesn't last long in his jobs... or here. And on the even crazier comment list he accuses me of being a paid moderator. Hey Dave... where are my checks?? LOL If only... But, I do know how to use that 'report post' button and let those moderators decide his fate.

I notice that he has very few likes on either page...

VS
omanoman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably doesn't get too many "likes" in real life either.
nicole2010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re Oman Oman: ---> I know him, or at least of him fairly well. Terminated for abuse, shouting at students etc. you can probably tell from his posts on his page. <---yeah..he probably was working for you ...Nevertheless, he seems to have gone too far with his discontentment with those FB pages even if some of his points might have merits. His style of expression is a little too much 'off the wall' to be taken as credible or fit well here.

ASU is a pretty tough gig I think. Although the area is beautiful, the students are rural and low skilled and would take a respectful and patient approach to achieve progress with them. Possible, but not if you are anything like this guy.<------probably sound advice,,and there is a nice charm about Sharkiya people...and Wadi Shab is a beautiful area..
omanoman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicole, unfortunately, nobody works for me, only with me, near me or with someone near me.

Wadi Shab, Wadi bani khalid, wahiba sands, al ashkara, Ras al hadd, ras al jinz, great weekend trips. Spent Eid in Ibra once with a family there who showed me the old village, water system (falaj) in the 'summer' part of the village under trees, where his family was born (in a mud/concrete hut) and explained how the village organized a democratic system to take care of the major sectors - water, security, economic and irrigation distribution from ages past. Fascinating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: