Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mysteries of Japanese Culture. Things you just don't get.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inflames

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't handle all the meetings and sheer inflexibility some places have about rules.

For example, I go to graduate school in another city (takes me about an hour each way). They sent an e-mail saying we needed something for the first day of a class (which was the first day I had class) - I e-mailed the office staff asking them to send it and was flat out told it was impossible. I simply e-mailed a friendly professor and it was on my way in an hour. The program is trying to attract foreign students, but stuff like this nearly kills the chance I'll recommend it to any foreigner.

I went to pay my tuition at the bank (because the banks any my university are so awesome you can't actually send the money online). The first time I had to fill out a form and they told me to put the money in my account. The second time they had me take the money out and fill out a different form. The third time was the same as the first time. I'm still amazed (actually not, as it would involve coming up with new ideas) that they haven't discovered that giving people the option to send money online (sending a furikomi by online banking) and having them add their student number would save a lot of time and effort.
steki47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
Haha, you're supposed to be quiet on the buses and trains but you can yell at the top of your lungs in the restaurant to call over the waitress.

Well, you're supposed to cover your mouth when using a toothpick but apparently picking your nose on the train is acceptable.
rxk22

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le Sigh, those examples are all poor. Keigo does not exist in English, and making making an example and applying it to English just simply doesn't work.

A professor corrects one, Utada did nothing that needed correcting, she simply didn't fall in line.
Simplifying your English, as I have learned, only handicaps your students.
As for grad school, again you were using incorrect grammar, not using keigo is not the same situation. You are across the board, making false analogies.

Changing English tenses would radically change the language, and require a massive amount of effort. While keigo would be pretty easy to eliminate, as it has to be actively taught to be used.

There are many criticisms of English that I too agree with, and being a foreigner does not make holding those opinions any more nor less correct. I find it silly that you think only the Japanese can know what is best for Japan. In fact that is what one would call pretentious

Either way, you're both trying to be cute or contrived.
rxk22

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inflames wrote:
I still can't handle all the meetings and sheer inflexibility some places have about rules.

For example, I go to graduate school in another city (takes me about an hour each way). They sent an e-mail saying we needed something for the first day of a class (which was the first day I had class) - I e-mailed the office staff asking them to send it and was flat out told it was impossible. I simply e-mailed a friendly professor and it was on my way in an hour. The program is trying to attract foreign students, but stuff like this nearly kills the chance I'll recommend it to any foreigner.

I went to pay my tuition at the bank (because the banks any my university are so awesome you can't actually send the money online). The first time I had to fill out a form and they told me to put the money in my account. The second time they had me take the money out and fill out a different form. The third time was the same as the first time. I'm still amazed (actually not, as it would involve coming up with new ideas) that they haven't discovered that giving people the option to send money online (sending a furikomi by online banking) and having them add their student number would save a lot of time and effort.

HAHA, indeed. Japan does seem to love pointless meetings. No one likes meetings. No one. And Japan seems to have some fascination with having them for everything.

I like the part where everyone pretends not to be bored when having a meeting.
Vince

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RM1983 wrote:
Also still have problems just calling them over

I tried that once at a ramen shop where lots of other people did it. It felt weird at first, but nobody seemed to think anything of it. I did get a couple of quick glances, but that was probably because of my accent. I got comfortable with it in ramen shops, but of course didn't push it.
ssjup81

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
RM1983 wrote:
Me too. And any time I interact with waiting staff. Also still have problems just calling them over

すみませんんんんんんんんんん!

I could never bring myself to doing that either. I would just get up and go over to the waitress. No sweat.
So I'm not alone on this. I still can't do it. I would just wait for a server to come near and quietly call them over while meekly waving my hand. It feels weird shouting at the top of my lungs for someone.

I also say thank you a lot. If on the bus, before getting off I thank the driver. Same with the train. I would say thank you before getting off. Even in the supermarket I thank the cashier. I'm American, though. Maybe it isn't so much a UK thing. For me, saying thank you is pretty much ingrained as well.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssjup81 wrote:
So I'm not alone on this. I still can't do it. I would just wait for a server to come near and quietly call them over while meekly waving my hand. It feels weird shouting at the top of my lungs for someone.

I also say thank you a lot. If on the bus, before getting off I thank the driver. Same with the train. I would say thank you before getting off. Even in the supermarket I thank the cashier. I'm American, though. Maybe it isn't so much a UK thing. For me, saying thank you is pretty much ingrained as well.

Nope! Fellow American here and I not only say, "Thank you," to the cashier and bus driver and whomever else has done me a service, I also throw in a deliberate bow. My building mate (also from CA) saw me do it at the Lawson's and was like, "Wow... Why?" It's so strange to me that this place is hailed as being super polite but they respond to service people like they aren't human. Guess polite and egalitarian don't always go hand in hand. :S That being said, I'd probably bow to a robot out of habit. XD
Black_Beer_Man

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssjup81 wrote:
fat_chris wrote:
RM1983 wrote:
Me too. And any time I interact with waiting staff. Also still have problems just calling them over

すみませんんんんんんんんんん!

I could never bring myself to doing that either. I would just get up and go over to the waitress. No sweat.

Shouting for the waitress / waiter back home could be taken as your being an arrogant or bossy customer. Server staff might actually respond by taking her / his time and you may wind up with the server staff's or cook's saliva mixed in your food. Shocked
Black_Beer_Man

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZennoSaji wrote:
ssjup81 wrote:

Nope! Fellow American here and I not only say, "Thank you," to the cashier and bus driver and whomever else has done me a service, I also throw in a deliberate bow. My building mate (also from CA) saw me do it at the Lawson's and was like, "Wow... Why?" It's so strange to me that this place is hailed as being super polite but they respond to service people like they aren't human. Guess polite and egalitarian don't always go hand in hand. :S That being said, I'd probably bow to a robot out of habit. XD

That's a good observation you've written here - that some Japanese customers treat cashiers / clerks like they're less than human.

I observed this once at my gym where a male member handed over his member card for scanning to enter the gym. The female receptionist greeted him very politely, but he didn't acknowledge her at all with an answer or even eye contact. I though that was rude of him
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black_Beer_Man wrote:
That's a good observation you've written here - that some Japanese customers treat cashiers / clerks like they're less than human.

Yeah, that always threw me a curveball; I'd go out to dinner with a woman whom I thought was the meekest, most polite, most proper person on the face of the earth.

Naw, she was just following "proper" Japanese protocol in public life. We'd get to the restaurant and it would be that d@mned yelling at the top of one's lungs to get the staff to come over (Shocked)…which I guess is also "proper" Japanese protocol. Laughing

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Black_Beer_Man

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone who wrote that Brits and Canadians say Thank You to cashiers and bus drivers got me thinking.

In Canada, this is true of the majority of people, BUT there are what we call white trash (and other colors of it) that actually abuse public bus drivers verbally and physically. I heard this story on Canadian public radio. In Toronto and Vancouver, bus drivers are sworn at several times a week, spit on at least once a month, and even punched occasionally by passengers who try not to pay their fares or cut in lines. These drivers are pushing for enclosures to be installed on buses, so that crazy passengers can't take a swing at the driver.

As far as I know, there aren't Japanese trash people doing these kinds of things. Maybe because people are afraid of going to jail here.
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reputation's a big part of it, too. Also rudeness here seems to stem more from wanting to not engage with other humans, rather than from a sense of entitlement such as that found in the US, for example, and I imagine the UK from what I hear. Can't say much for Canada on that front, other than, "Sorry!" ;D
Black_Beer_Man

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the music in the supermarkets here. I don't know what it is. Is it something resembling music. It sounds like the electronic sounds that you hear in a video game arcade - maybe the UFO Catcher music.

Do Japanese customers really want to hear that music - even if they're aren't concentrating on listening to it? What benefit does it provide to the stores? Does it affect the customers subliminally and make them want to buy chocolate?

Personally, I'd rather have silence in stead of that. I'd rather listen to squeaky wheels on shopping carts.
steki47

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes supermarkets play muzak versions of older Morning Musume songs. Love that!
rxk22

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHA, I bowed and did the Domo Arigato to the clerks too when I first got here.

Beer and coffee. Japan is a food country that does making good domestic food, as well as copying foreign foods and making them delicious as well.
BUT Japanese coffee and beer are still pretty bad. They have more selections now, but are still lagging, even the US. They are in the late 90's, where there are some options, but not a whole lot yet.

And yes, the US still has to catch up to Europe beer and coffee wise
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: