Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea to UAE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dondelion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Korea to UAE? Reply with quote

Here's a question to those boarders teaching in UAE universities and colleges of higher education who also have significant knowledge of the Korean uni scene -- can I ask -- is it similar ? Better? Worse? Totally different? Easy to break into, or impossible?

I am not asking about the private college scene in UAE -- no disrespect to those private schools, I have been there, done that, many years ago; I paid my dues and put in the hard graft, got my MA and teaching certs and diplomas etc -- I am curious about university teachers here on the board who worked at Korean unis then moved to university jobs in UAE.

Is it any better in UAE? Or is moving to UAE just jumping from one hassle to a slightly different set of hassles? By asking if it is 'better in UAE' I just mean less hassle in day to day life -- anyone who has lived in Korea will know very well what I am talking about -- it's pretty abrasive and rude here in Korea and non stop confrontational.

I have taught ESL for years, esp. writing skills, and have my MA and three kosher teaching certs . Thanks in advance for any of your views and opinions about it.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea can't be discussed in these forums. Instead of comparing two vastly different countries and cultures, what kind of lifestyle and work environment are you looking for in terms of teaching and living in the UAE?

That said, a few things you need to be aware of:

- The Emirati government will be phasing out the foundation year programs in the country's public universities effective 2018. These universities are the largest employers in the country's higher ed system, and hiring has already slowed down. Fewer jobs means higher competition for teaching contracts.
See http://www.thenational.ae/uae/education/foundation-year-at-uae-state-universities-to-be-scrapped-from-2018

- You didn't state what your MA is in nor what you mean by "kosher teaching certs," but you'll need a relevant MA (preferably in TESOL) + a minimum of 3 years' university-level teaching experience. That may not be enough if you're competing for jobs with others who have extensive Gulf experience.

- In addition to the related MA & experience, you need to be tech savvy. The Ministries of Education and Higher Ed are big on technology in the classroom, and I don't mean using PowerPoint.
See http://www.thenational.ae/uae/education/technology-is-key-in-modern-classroom-uae-educators-say
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Korea to UAE? Reply with quote

dondelion wrote:
I am not asking about the private college scene in UAE -- no disrespect to those private schools, I have been there, done that, many years ago; I paid my dues and put in the hard graft, got my MA and teaching certs and diplomas etc -- I am curious about university teachers here on the board who worked at Korean unis then moved to university jobs in UAE.

Actually the best job in the UAE - particularly for Americans, but not restricted to - is a private university. Check out the American University in Sharjah.

dondelion wrote:
Is it any better in UAE? Or is moving to UAE just jumping from one hassle to a slightly different set of hassles?

It will be a different set of hassles, but in general both the locals and the numerous expats who do all of the work in the Emirates are pleasant. Not having worked in Korea, I don't know how aggravating the rudeness is... it is really by your measure anyway.

dondelion wrote:
I have taught ESL for years, esp. writing skills, and have my MA and three kosher teaching certs . Thanks in advance for any of your views and opinions about it.

Assuming that your MA is related (App Ling, ESL/EFL)... is your writing teaching experience related to the usual university level courses to write essays and longer reports? If so, again AUS has a Writing Program that will hire those with that sort of teaching background. (BTW, American University in Kuwait - AUK also probably has the same options)

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Assuming that your MA is related (App Ling, ESL/EFL)... is your writing teaching experience related to the usual university level courses to write essays and longer reports? If so, again AUS has a Writing Program that will hire those with that sort of teaching background.

From an expired AUS ad:
Quote:
The Department of Writing Studies seeks full time faculty members in freshman composition at the American University of Sharjah.

Candidates should have a Master's degree in English, preferably specializing in Rhetoric and Composition, TESOL, or Linguistics. In addition, the candidates should have a minimum of three years' experience teaching composition in American style higher education. Candidates must have excellent English proficiency and a demonstrated commitment to excellent teaching. Overseas experience preferred.

Candidates should send a letter of application, curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, and three letters of recommendation.
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck trying to teach English in a university here. It takes wasta or luck. I am the Head of English at a private school but teach business admin at a local university and only as an adhoc professor, I have a MBA in addition to my English education.

A good friend of mine who is from USA like me and taught in South Korea says he wishes he never switched. He saved more money there even though being married, he enjoyed the more disciplined students, and even though he is Muslim he is wanting to go back.

Students here are horrible in general, no discipline. At least at my school they are tough on the students and don't play up to the parents. The principal is a Turkish woman who has worked here 25 years and will kick out naughty students in a heart beat. I was at another school where the students ruled and that was horrible.

The Foundation Program here is "slated" to be eliminated but everyone in the education system here knows this is a dream that won't become reality. In my university business admin classes, I have to eliminate grading for spelling and grammar because the students wouldn't be able to pass the subject papers because of the horrible English skills. If they eliminate the Foundation Program the wheels will fall off the wagon for the universities.

This is like how the Ministry is attempting to create "qualified" teachers. They are requiring all teachers starting September 2015 to take the TOEFL or IELTS exams, even if you are a native speaker. This doesn't create "qualified" teachers.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdobbs98 wrote:
The Ministry is attempting to create "qualified" teachers. They are requiring all teachers starting September 2015 to take the TOEFL or IELTS exams, even if you are a native speaker. This doesn't create "qualified" teachers.

Which ministry? The Ministry of Education or of Higher Ed? Plus, what's your (credible) source?
Noelle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP

Been there- done that… the Korea to Gulf thing.

Things are changing quickly over here in the Gulf and it's becoming increasingly more competitive every single year. The Japan/Korea university experience may not be as helpful now as it may have been before. I've pm'd you...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: