Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Few Simple Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FloridaTEFL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: A Few Simple Questions Reply with quote

Hi...
I just had a few questions regarding jobs and job searching....
a) what are the common or more productive websites on which to post my resume online?
b) Is the response rate from employers very good if posting an online resume from abroad?
c) I have an undergraduate degree in a non-English subject, but I now have a Master's in TESOL. Plus experience at a public school in Korea, 2 years of university experience in Korea and 1 year of university experience in the U.S.A. And great references. (But no teaching licensure) Sad
d) if, If, IF, offered a job before flying to Hong Kong, what salary should I aim for - or expect (assuming accommodation is NOT included). I'm open to considering all kinds of jobs - corporate, adult, kids, or mixed variety.

Thank you SOOOO much!!!
kpjf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: A Few Simple Questions Reply with quote

FloridaTEFL wrote:
Hi...

d) if, If, IF, offered a job before flying to Hong Kong, what salary should I aim for - or expect (assuming accommodation is NOT included). I'm open to considering all kinds of jobs - corporate, adult, kids, or mixed variety.

Try this thread: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=100624

By the way, do you know about the NET programme? Too late for this year, but there's always next time: http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/sch-admin/admin/about-sch-staff/net-scheme/recruitment-secondary-net.html
FloridaTEFL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...Thanks for the feedback!
I became aware of the NET scheme recently but sad to have missed the deadline.
Thanks for the previous thread! It kinda looks like 30,000/month is a wee bit high to aim for, outside of NET...
travelbuguk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: A Few Simple Questions Reply with quote

a) what are the common or more productive websites on which to post my resume online?

Don't post your resume online - apply for jobs from Classified Post and other websites. Jobs in Hong Kong are competitive, you need to sell yourself. Each application should be tailored to suit the particular job that you are applying for.

c) I have an undergraduate degree in a non-English subject, but I now have a Master's in TESOL. Plus experience at a public school in Korea, 2 years of university experience in Korea and 1 year of university experience in the U.S.A. And great references. (But no teaching licensure) Sad

I think that realistically you would get around 19-23 HKD per month as a first job in Hong Kong. There are many opportunities in Hong Kong once you have a "foot in the door" you can look for a job with a higher salary and more responsibility. The NET Scheme is one option or working directly for a local school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: