Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teachers Diploma with Universidad Panamericana

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scratchpiece27

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Teachers Diploma with Universidad Panamericana Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone on here has some info about this program offered through Universidad Panamericana :

http://www.up.edu.mx/document.aspx?doc=5616

It looks like it's a 17 week, 227-hour teaching course. Near the bottom of the page it says:

Trainees who finish the course successfully will receive a Diploma, which enables them to work at all the Language Centers of Universidad Panamericana and those schools under the Panamericana System. It is also accepted by SEP (DGCFT, Dirección General de Centros de Formación para el Trabajo). Note: your Diploma will show 227 hours minus the hours of class observations and the weekly sessions you miss during the course.

Basically I'm wondering if it's worth the 17,000 pesos. I already have a 120-hour TEFL certificate which I got in Thailand and 5 years teaching experience in 3 countries. However, if this program were to open doors for better paying jobs through Panamericana and those under their system, then it might be worth it. I really want to live and teach in Mexico (Mexico City to be specific) but from what I've read on this website and others it's not as easy as Asia.

So far it's been really difficult to find information on the program, and that's a bit worrying.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually took this course myself and I highly recommend it. It is pretty intense in terms of reading, presentations, etc. It covers a number of different methods of teaching, and there is a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of each method. It will open more doors than a generic certificate, because it is recognized by the SEP, something that a generic cert is not. That seems to be more important in Mexico City than in other parts of the country. The gentleman that runs the language center at Universidad Panamericana also runs the center at the UNAM and many of the class materials are the same ones used in the CELE course, as well as guest speakers from UNAM. Even though I was an experienced teacher at the time I took the course, I still found it very useful. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, or send me a PM.
scratchpiece27

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BBB-

I've noticed you have recommended the course to many people on here. If you don't mind I do have some questions I'd like to ask:

After completing the course will they help you find a job within the city?

It meets once a week for three hours. How many students were in your class and what was a typical day like?

Since it's technically illegal to work in Mexico without the proper visa, am I expected to just spend the other 6 days of the week studying and not working?

Do they provide accommodation?

I've head the SEP mentioned many times on here. Can you give me a few examples of what types of schools the SEP represents? Universities, public school, language schools?

Sorry to pound you with so many questions!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scratchpiece27 wrote:
Thanks BBB-

I've noticed you have recommended the course to many people on here. If you don't mind I do have some questions I'd like to ask:

After completing the course will they help you find a job within the city?

They will give you referrals for interviews - years later I still get one occasionally myself, but when I first finished the course I got a lot of them. In addition, they hire teachers to work there, both full time, and they have a Saturday only program.

It meets once a week for three hours. How many students were in your class and what was a typical day like?

There were 12 students if I recall correctly, almost evenly divided between native English speakers and native Spanish speakers, but a couple of true bilinguals thrown into the mix. There wasn't a typical class, some days we discussed the readings for the week, some days there was a presentation or a guest speaker, sometimes students did a presentation. But I want to stress that even though the class only meets three hours, there is a lot of reading and outside work, and if you don't do it you will be lost.

Since it's technically illegal to work in Mexico without the proper visa, am I expected to just spend the other 6 days of the week studying and not working?

Find some conversation classes to do to take up some of your time, get paid in cash. Or work online.

Do they provide accommodation?

No.

I've head the SEP mentioned many times on here. Can you give me a few examples of what types of schools the SEP represents? Universities, public school, language schools?

It is the Education Secretary in Mexico. Even though it is a government agency it oversees pretty much all schools, not only public and private, but unis and language schools. There are requirements for a course to be recognized by the SEP. For example, a few years ago I took a Portuguese course at a school called American Team (ironic since I never saw a single American there, haha) and at the end of every level you got a diploma thingie, but for some languages (English, Italian and one other, I can't remember which one) there was also the option to have it recognized by the SEP, which meant you could use it to validate your level of that language. In Mexico City, at least, you need some kind of credential that is recognized by the SEP to teach in many schools. I remember a few years ago when the requirement went into effect teachers were scrambling to get some kind of credential that they could use. In fact, in the class I took 4 of the students were teaching at a High School and their school was paying for them to get the credential.

Sorry to pound you with so many questions!
mmarc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
I actually took this course myself and I highly recommend it. It is pretty intense in terms of reading, presentations, etc. It covers a number of different methods of teaching, and there is a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of each method. It will open more doors than a generic certificate, because it is recognized by the SEP, something that a generic cert is not. That seems to be more important in Mexico City than in other parts of the country. The gentleman that runs the language center at Universidad Panamericana also runs the center at the UNAM and many of the class materials are the same ones used in the CELE course, as well as guest speakers from UNAM. Even though I was an experienced teacher at the time I took the course, I still found it very useful. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, or send me a PM.

BBB, would you consider this course type of course (or any certificate course approved by SEP) to be worthwhile for someone with a foreign Master's degree? It sounds like a good program, but I'm wondering specifically if my qualifications would put me at a disadvantage for finding jobs if I don't have certification in Mexico. My M.A. is in Bilingual Ed. from a uni in Spain and I've taught in several different countries, including the States. I don't have a teaching license in the U.S. but the requirement was temporarily waived for me because I teach at a Spanish Immersion school.

I'm moving back to Mexico in a few months and I'm wondering how my qualifications stack up, specifically for international schools. Thanks!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmarc wrote:

BBB, would you consider this course type of course (or any certificate course approved by SEP) to be worthwhile for someone with a foreign Master's degree? It sounds like a good program, but I'm wondering specifically if my qualifications would put me at a disadvantage for finding jobs if I don't have certification in Mexico. My M.A. is in Bilingual Ed. from a uni in Spain and I've taught in several different countries, including the States. I don't have a teaching license in the U.S. but the requirement was temporarily waived for me because I teach at a Spanish Immersion school.

I'm moving back to Mexico in a few months and I'm wondering how my qualifications stack up, specifically for international schools. Thanks!

With your qualifications you would be better off in international schools, or perhaps an upper tier private school. They might still want you to get the certificate, but if they do they will also likely pay for it. If you had, or had had, certification in the US, it might make it easier. I was certified years ago in the US, but let it lapse, so it was easier for me to just do the Certificate. You would probably not only make more money but have a more stable job if you concentrated on those kinds of schools, where you would likely be teaching content in English and not teaching ESL. A lot of the kids have lived abroad and/or have spoken English since they were children, so they are looking for a different skill set and different credentials from the kind of job the OP was looking for. In my case, I have done both, but prefer teaching adults to children, especially when they are motivated. Moot now, as I am no longer teaching, but in an administrative position, which I don't really like all that much, but that pays more than teaching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: