Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I set up in Germany?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sisyphus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Can I set up in Germany? Reply with quote

I want to set up in Germany as a self employed teacher in firm. I have a UK ltd company. Can I work on the basis of this or do I need a freelance permit in Germany? Or some other form of registration?Anyone? Cheers... Rolling Eyes
JN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, maybe I'm kind of dumb, but I don't quite understand what you mean by "in firm." Do you mean you want to work as a self-employed teacher in a company? That would be free-lancing, which most companies do.
I really don't know anything about having a company, whether it be here in Germany or in the UK. If you're fluent in German, you could check out different websites-probably government ones. I've read things on starting a company, but I'd have to research that again.

You could also look at the toytowngermany threads.
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a limited company in England, and it's not particularly cheap to maintain with my accountant's fees, so I'm curious what business you're in here.

Anyway, years ago I was also a freelance English teacher in Germany, and the amount of paperwork required is minimal compared to being a UK LTD.

If you want to teach freelance, apply for teaching jobs at schools as most of these are freelance. German tax advisors are everywhere and cheaper than their UK counterparts.

I still can't get over UK LTD benefits such as tax relief on expenses, being able to claim for an xmas party and flat rate VAT. Unfortunately, Germany still makes people pay a ton of tax and social/national insurance, which is why I'm in the UK and not there.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Health Insurance is mandatory and will make this a difficult proposition.
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eighty million Germans manage it, so not sure why it's a proposition, difficult or otherwise.

Assuming no health problems, private health insurance will cost from about €100 a month from an international insurer such as ALC up to about €300 a month from a German company such as Gothaer. This is tax deductable. So-called public health insurance from a company like TK will cost a bit more.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 80 million are not trying to earn a living by teaching English !
JN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Those 80 million are not trying to earn a living by teaching English !

How true, Scot. To my knowledge with private insurance everything is paid up front and there may be a deductible. Also, as far as I know, public health insurance can only be had, if a person had been a regular employee.
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

German health insurance is complicated, which is why so many brokers exist, and they are the correct people to give advice. However, I can promise if you ask for and are willing to pay for public health insurance, you will be fully covered regardless of your health or employment status.

I don’t get your point about private insurance, but I was privately insured, and it kicked the butt of any UK NHS treatment.

And whilst Germany's TEFLers won't be driving BMWs or Porsches, they're far from being at the bottom of the ladder. Seven million Germans now work part-time in so-called mini-jobs which pay €450 a month. Every one of these people will have health insurance as will the 2.8 million unemployed.

Mandatory health insurance for those with German residence came into effect in 2009, but the prevalence of brokers, who will speak English and not cost a cent, means it’s just about the easiest thing to get sorted in Germany.
JN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With private insurance the costs must be paid up front to the doctor or hospital, so I've heard. I really can't compare it to the UK, so maybe it is much better here in Germany.

I definitely pay less for the public insurance I have (TK-under 200 euros), including doctor's visits, hospital, etc. than I would if I was in the US. Of course, things may have changed there since Obamacare.

I also just heard that EU nationals can apparently insure themselves privately through public insurance in the first 3 months of being here in Germany, though I've not heard of any free-lancers doing that.
sisyphus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
I have a limited company in England, and it's not particularly cheap to maintain with my accountant's fees, so I'm curious what business you're in here.

Anyway, years ago I was also a freelance English teacher in Germany, and the amount of paperwork required is minimal compared to being a UK LTD.

If you want to teach freelance, apply for teaching jobs at schools as most of these are freelance. German tax advisors are everywhere and cheaper than their UK counterparts.

I still can't get over UK LTD benefits such as tax relief on expenses, being able to claim for an xmas party and flat rate VAT. Unfortunately, Germany still makes people pay a ton of tax and social/national insurance, which is why I'm in the UK and not there.

ok what I was trying to fathom was if you could invoice German firms from a UK Ltd company whilst working in Germany. But seems you need a separate set up. Must be a lot of UK companies working in Germany even within education etc surely...doubt they would form two entities... so after billions spent by EU pen pushers we are basically in the same boat as before...
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all sounds a bit complicated to have a UK LTD and earn money in Germany, and I can't see any benefits.

I would set up separately in Germany. The costs and paperwork for doing so are far less than for a UK LTD. You'll be able to claim stacks of tax relief from the German taxman for daily travelling, etc, plus the Doppelhaushalt (second household allowance), which basically means you can claim tax relief on German rent, some utilities and travel to your "main" residence in the UK, presuming you can prove such a residence exists. I'm relatively new to having a limited company, but it doesn't seem a major job to make them dormant or even closed. However, if there is a benefit to keeping it running whilst overseas, please let me know because I'm considering working a year or two in Germany again and then UK and so on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: