Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

research and publication

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: research and publication Reply with quote

How well can you research the ESL pedagogy literature for free, without having access to university library subscription services and the like? Can you do it well enough to write publishable papers? Anybody here do that sort of thing? If so, what are the best search sites, techniques etc? I was a member of something called TESOL once, and that may have given me access to their journal archives, but I didn't check into it. If I have to pay, is there some umbrella organization I can pay who will give me access to all or most journals in the field? Do universities usually give alumni access to their library research subscriptions? Thanks.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TESOL International, the TESOL organization you're referring to, does offer its members benefits such as access to journals at extra cost. In regard to your alma mater, you'd have to confirm with your particular university if library services are made available to alumni because not all unis do. Obviously, if you've recently graduated, you might try to log in to your uni's library to see if you still have privileges. Another option is your local library system in your home country. For example, I'm still able to access my city library in the US while living abroad. Lastly, look into Academia.edu's and Edtechandtesol.info's links as well as digital libraries/databases such as TESL Journal (iteslj.org), JSTOR, ERIC, CAL.org, Linguistlist.org, and eLibraryUSA (through the US State Dept).
sojourner

Location: nice, friendly, easy-going (ALL) Peoples' Republic of China

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the ( US-based) Questia Online Library ( www.questia.com ). The annual fee, I think, is around 100-120 USD ( could be less).The library includes books, as well as articles ( journals, magazines, newspapers). Before deciding to join, browse through the catalogue to see what they have in the areas of TESL/Applied Linguistics/SLA/learning theories/adult education, etc.

Peter
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google scholar is good for indicating which articles are freely available directly from the search. It's also becoming more common (and in some universities compulsory) for staff to upload their publications to the university website or an associated depositry, so a search for a PDF of an article will often turn something up. Failing that you can email the main author directly and ask them for a copy. The vast majority will send you one straight out, especially if it's fairly recent and they haven't got to go searching around for it.
rtm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
Google scholar is good for indicating which articles are freely available directly from the search. It's also becoming more common (and in some universities compulsory) for staff to upload their publications to the university website or an associated depositry, so a search for a PDF of an article will often turn something up. Failing that you can email the main author directly and ask them for a copy. The vast majority will send you one straight out, especially if it's fairly recent and they haven't got to go searching around for it.

I'll second all of the above. Google scholar is good at finding freely-available copies. Many authors have copies of articles available on their personal web page or in an institutional repository. Also, most people are happy to send you a copy of one of their articles if you email them and ask, and many will give you suggestions for other articles or authors that would be relevant, or even give you feedback on your ideas.

You can also google the title of an article plus "pdf" -- that will often find copies floating around the net.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very useful information and suggestions on this thread. Thank you to everyone who has posted thus far. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: