Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marrying a Mexican...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guero1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Marrying a Mexican... Reply with quote

I am getting married soon to a Mexican lady Smile We've been together a long time. I am from the UK.

I wanted to pick people's brains about two things:

1. What steps do I have to take regarding immigration and the wedding? (I currently have a 'Residente Temporal' card /old FM3/ that I renew annually)

2. What visa can I get after I am married?

I have heard conflicting things, so wanted to see if anyone here knows anything. Especially given the red tape here..

Cheers in advance.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Marrying a Mexican... Reply with quote

Guero1 wrote:
I am getting married soon to a Mexican lady Smile We've been together a long time. I am from the UK.

I wanted to pick people's brains about two things:

1. What steps do I have to take regarding immigration and the wedding? (I currently have a 'Residente Temporal' card /old FM3/ that I renew annually)

2. What visa can I get after I am married?

I have heard conflicting things, so wanted to see if anyone here knows anything. Especially given the red tape here..

Cheers in advance.

Your best bet would be to write to the immigration office where you live. I don't know firsthand, but have heard from numerous sources that rules are applied differently in different places. I do know that a couple of years ago the rules were changed making it easier for family members to get residency and harder to get a work visa.

http://www.inm.gob.mx/

I believe you can become a citizen after two years, info for that would be here:

http://www.sre.gob.mx/
Guero1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll have a look at those government links.
mtiz

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love an update on this...I am trying to do the same thing and trying to find information is such a pain...
Guero1

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the above webpages, it was good for some info. Also, bite the bullet and get some info from your local INM office. They were reasonably helpful for me there too.
golfsuper41

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just married a Mexican woman. Granted we did a quick marriage in the USA before I came to Mexico to make things easier. If you are getting married for the first time in Mexico, you have to ask for permission from the State that you are wishing to get married in, take a physical exam, blood tests and more. There is a fee for asking for permission to get married, so if it is posible to get married outside of Mexico I would suggest you do it. All your paperwork from outside the country must have an Apostille from a State in the US or the country you are from. While it seems like a hassel, I showed up with all the original and copies of Apostilles for our marriage in South Carolina, degrees, transcripts and was able to switch from the FM3 visa to Temporary Residente within a few weeks. I am in Querétaro and the INM is a pain in the rear-end. The INM website says it is in English but it is only the first page. To find the right forms, fill them out and take them to INM is challenging, even with a Mexican Nationa to help mel. I made at least 4 trips to INM before we got it right. If your paperwork has one mistake they just tell you it is wrong and send you on your way. If all goes well, you wait 15 days for your change over to Temporary Resident, check your email for your acceptance, print out the payment form and go to Bancomer to pay. This must be done the same day that you print the form or they will not take it. If all that goes well within 10 days you will have your Temp Res card. I would plan on at least 6 to 10 trips to INM to get everything completed. Getting permission to work is another story as I have been accepted to teach for one of the State universities. Hope this helps. You can check the web for marrying a Mexican National in Mexico and their are sites that can fill you in more for what you will need. Good Luck!
mmarc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golfsuper, care to update on how you got your work permission after the family visa? I'm wondering about processing time and general hoops that have to be hopped. I've been on the immigration website but would like to hear from someone who's actually done it.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmarc wrote:
Golfsuper, care to update on how you got your work permission after the family visa? I'm wondering about processing time and general hoops that have to be hopped. I've been on the immigration website but would like to hear from someone who's actually done it.

I haven't done it myself, but I have a friend who is in DF and married to a Mexican and she said they told her that when she got the family visa it included the right to work. She just has to let them know if she gets a job.
mtiz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to deal with all of this right now. It's terrible. Still on the getting married part and I'm sure the rest of it will be just as bureaucratic.
mmarc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear.. we actually haven't gotten married yet, either, but I was sort of hoping the family visa would be easier to process. All prior experience with Immigration notwithstanding..
notamiss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know how relevant this will be, since it all happened about 15 years ago, but I came to Mexico as a family dependent of my Mexican husband, and I didn’t have permission to work on my FM2. When I wanted to work, I had to get my economic status changed on my own merits from dependent to allowed to work (first via a job offer, then later switching to independent).

On the other hand, various men married to Mexican women reported in this forum that when they moved to Mexico as family dependents of their respective wives, they had work permission from the start.

But all this was before the 2012 immigration reforms, so who know how much these process might have changed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: