Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RFC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: RFC Reply with quote

Hi guys, I was living and teaching in Mexico for a few years but had to return to the States for personal reasons. I'm ready to go back and teach there again. My FM3 has expired but I still have my RFC will I have to go through the new process to get a work visa? Thanks in advance for your replies.
notamiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you will have to go through the process. Your RFC only affects your relationship with Hacienda; it cuts no ice in your relationship with IMN and your visa status.

There is a new system in place now, FM3 and FM2 have been replaced by temporal and permanente visas – but not respectively – these don’t exactly correspond one-to-one with the previous categories.

The bigger change, though, is that (unless you are immigrating as the family member/spouse of a Mexican) you have to apply for your visa at a Mexican consulate outside Mexico. No more arriving as a tourist and then, when you get a job, switching to a resident visa without leaving Mexico.
bobbyb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. My next question then is if I get a work visa here in the States, say from my previous employer, and when I arrive can I go work for another school without leaving?
notamiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just speculating here, based on others’ experience and how it used to work under the old system (of which I don’t know how much has been transferred to the new).

For your former employer to sponsor you, they have agree to do the corresponding trámite for an employer sponsoring a foreigner. If they have never sponsored a foreign employee under the new system, they have to go through an onerous process to register to do so. If they are already registered, it won’t be as hard for them, but you would have to ask them and they would have to agree, and they would then send the necessary letters to the consulate where you are applying for the visa.

It seems unlikely to me that they’d agree to do this if you didn’t then go and work for them. But suppose they agree, or suppose you do work for them for a while and then change jobs.

At that point, under the old system, you would go to IMN with letters from the old and new employer and apply to register a change of employer (keywords: Cambio o Ampliación de Actividad Autorizada).

And how would it work under the new system? I don’t know if it would be similar. Here is the link to the INM FAQ to get you started: http://www.inm.gob.mx/index.php/page/Preguntas_Frecuentes_POT.
bobbyb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you notamiss very helpful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: