Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short Assignments in Thailand?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syikana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Short Assignments in Thailand? Reply with quote

Hi all I'm going to be finishing my degree schooling in October this year (I believe my final assignment is October 17th) I have a 7 month wait until I graduate in May 2014 I was wondering if there were paid short term contracts out there? I would be looking to go back after I'd finished I just need something during those months.

Thanks
MrWright

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would like to know if there is short term work available. I would think you could get hired at a language school and just give notice and leave when you want. Or do you sign a contract for a period of time? What happens if you break that contract. I suppose visa issues are involved regardless. Thanks.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without the parchment in hand, legal (defined by having the proper visa and work permits) is not possible.

There is part-time work to be found at various language centers.
You'd be paid on a hourly basis (contact hours, not office hours).
If you are good then you will stay busy. If not then not.

Yes, there are visa issues involved with short time work - usually you will be doing border runs and working illegally as a "tourist". You are unlikely to get a non-b visa and work permit for a contract of less than 10 months.

MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As other posters have said, if you dont have the actual degree in hand, it can be almost impossible to get legal work. Finding work at language schools should not be a big problem as P/T work at these places usually doesn't come with a legal visa and work permit anyways. Just get a double entry tourist visa in your home country or Laos/Malaysia and working at a language school should not be a big problem. They rarely check these places anymore and are focused more on checking EFL teachers at government schools these days. Some language schools hire P/T or hourly and some will hire a few F/T teachers as well and pay them monthly. I wouldn't worry too much about contracts at these types of places, but it is professional to give a month notice IMO.

Quote:
Yes, there are visa issues involved with short time work - usually you will be doing border runs and working illegally as a "tourist". You are unlikely to get a non-b visa and work permit for a contract of less than 10 months.

The bigger and better placement agencies will offer 1 term (4-6 month) contracts and will supply visa and work permit for you. The good ones will pay for and organize the work permit, but you have to pay for the visa (they should organize it). Its not relevant to the OP though as he/she would need the original degree in hand in any case.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello syikana,

You will find most EFL assignments these days in Thailand are short-term...notably in Thai government schools which have a high turnover of EFL teachers. Long-term assignments are best found elsewhere in Asia.....such as China, Taiwan or Korea. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: