Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I finally got my tax refund

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiselpoint

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: I finally got my tax refund Reply with quote

I finally got my tax rebate. It was about 2000 pounds so it wasn’t something I just wanted to walk away from. I’m lucky to get it. Several people I worked with in Pahang haven’t gotten theirs. We all emailed Brighton several times. They never responded. Not to any of us. Not once.

Does anyone else remember the meetings where they tried so hard to reassure us. “We’ll make sure all your money gets to you, and we want to maintain our reputation. They'll be people hear to deal anything that arises from former employees." But after I left, they couldn't be bothered. We were just fobbed off. Brighton, bite me.

There was a thread on this topic a few months ago. One former employee called them scum bags. “Scum bags.” Well allow me to double down on that: Bite me, Brighton education.

I just wanted to give a head’s up to anyone working in there now: any money you leave there you might not see again. Be very suspicious of their "it'll be wired to you" crap. I only got my money cause I called, and called, and called, and called. Basically, I just annoyed the tax office into giving it to me.

For anyone who’s already left. Google Hasil + Your State + Contact. You should find a long list of key employees and their contact info. Email all of them. Some will reply and, eventually, you might get sorted out. Don’t bother with Brighton. They don’t give a shit.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Congratulations! Reply with quote

Your tax refund is well deserved chisselpoint - enjoy it!

I had similar experiences with another company. Brighton are not the only ones.
Chiselpoint

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not that bitter. I mostly just want to make sure everyone gets their money. I suspect many people will just leave it. And Brighton not replying to any emails is crap.

Oh, and I'll be enjoying it. Back in Britain for August and it is on.
adaruby

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: I finally got my tax refund Reply with quote

Chiselpoint wrote:
I finally got my tax rebate. It was about 2000 pounds so it wasn’t something I just wanted to walk away from. I’m lucky to get it. Several people I worked with in Pahang haven’t gotten theirs. We all emailed Brighton several times. They never responded. Not to any of us. Not once.

Does anyone else remember the meetings where they tried so hard to reassure us. “We’ll make sure all your money gets to you, and we want to maintain our reputation. They'll be people hear to deal anything that arises from former employees." But after I left, they couldn't be bothered. We were just fobbed off. Brighton, bite me.

There was a thread on this topic a few months ago. One former employee called them scum bags. “Scum bags.” Well allow me to double down on that: Bite me, Brighton education.

I just wanted to give a head’s up to anyone working in there now: any money you leave there you might not see again. Be very suspicious of their "it'll be wired to you" crap. I only got my money cause I called, and called, and called, and called. Basically, I just annoyed the tax office into giving it to me.

For anyone who’s already left. Google Hasil + Your State + Contact. You should find a long list of key employees and their contact info. Email all of them. Some will reply and, eventually, you might get sorted out. Don’t bother with Brighton. They don’t give a shit.

I don't know the ins and outs of your predicament, nor that of groups such as SMR and Brighton (although I've heard the rumours), but the role of companies in Malaysia is to hand you your EA form, which you submit before April 30th, and that's it.

Why were Brighton involved with your tax situation?
SMR ELT

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Tax issues in Malaysia Reply with quote

I concur with the previous respondent. I know that a lot of mentors seem to believe that the companies are responsible for tax submissions, collecting rebates etc but this is not the case. Companies are responsible for deducting the tax from the salary and paying it to the tax authorities, but the accounting and rebates are entirely the individual responsibility of the mentor. Obviously our staff will help and advise, but the submission of the EA form is that of the individual.

In my own personal experience I submitted my tax returns last year for 2012 and in June 2013 I was told I had a RM2000 rebate due. Despite writing and visiting the tax office personally on several occasions I did not get the rebate paid until March 2014.

This year, I submitted my tax forms at the beginning of April and was paid the rebate in full 7 days later!!! Guess they did not like my face the first time!

As an office we have received the tax rebate cheques for individuals, but only because the individual gave the office address as their own. We have no control over the tax office as to when they process their claims but a general rule of thumb - which may be applicable to all government departments - is that they are quick to demand payments, but slow to give refunds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: