Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EGA/INTERLINK Flight Scam
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barbaro

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: EGA/INTERLINK Flight Scam Reply with quote

They are at it again this year. What EGA/INTERLINK does with the end of year fights is go get their numbers/quote several months ahead so the prices will be low. Then when they get the money to the teachers, you can't get a flight for that price. They save money and you have to dip into your pocket to get home. This is just one example of their dealings. There are more. This should be a lesson for anybody who is thinking of working for them. AVOID AVOID AVOID. You have been warned.....
mashkif

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: EGA/INTERLINK Flight Scam Reply with quote

barbaro wrote:
They are at it again this year. What EGA/INTERLINK does with the end of year fights is go get their numbers/quote several months ahead so the prices will be low. Then when they get the money to the teachers, you can't get a flight for that price. They save money and you have to dip into your pocket to get home. This is just one example of their dealings. There are more. This should be a lesson for anybody who is thinking of working for them. AVOID AVOID AVOID. You have been warned.....

So, why don't you just purchase your airticket early? Surely you can afford the $1,500 if that. Then, when you get the money at the end of the year, it'll be either the amount you already spent or maybe even more if you'd managed to find a good deal.

Far be it from me to laud or defend INTERLINK, but some people make problems out of nothing.
Skeletor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all flights cost 1500 dollars and not all people who work for Interlink are single. Not all people have money put aside for something that is the contracted responsibility of the company. It is tiresome to hear people shift something that is the responsibility of the company onto the employee.
barbaro

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Subsidy Reply with quote

Employees should NOT subsidize EGA. They depend on it as a profit center. AVOID
mashkif

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skeletor wrote:
Not all flights cost 1500 dollars and not all people who work for Interlink are single. Not all people have money put aside for something that is the contracted responsibility of the company. It is tiresome to hear people shift something that is the responsibility of the company onto the employee.

Fine, let's say they cost $2,500. And let's say there are the two spouses and two kids, i.e. $10,000. (That, of course, is a gross overestimate, but let's run with it for the sake of the argument.) Even someone making $3,000 a month can set aside that amount within a half year.

Ultimately, yes, the company should provide the actual airtickets. If that doesn't happen, the employee should show SOME foresight and prowess, and make provisions in advance so as to ensure they're not left out of pocket.

It is tiresome to read again and again about how employers are supposed to mollycoddle employees and hold their delicate little hands every step of the way. We complain about Saudi students lacking any independence and critical thinking; surely we can do better!
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised you know where you will be flying to so far in advance of the holiday ... where I work we often don't even have the dates of the holiday until a month or two before it starts ..
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I work we never know if we need to book a single or return ticket until the end of the semester! They're so disorganised on the contract renewals...
Skeletor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$10,754 US for me to travel home with my family (2 children and 2 adults) on a 31 hour flight (via Expedia). I can get a shorter flight for more money but Interlink books the cheapest. So out of the $3,000 US a month I earn, I should put aside approximately $1,000 US a month for the good of Interlink. Or as you said, I should save my $10,754 within six months, so I should really be putting aside 1,792 a month for the first six months. Now, obviously not being a mollycoddle worker, I consider this to be fair and would rather do this than put my money into a long term investment, save for my pension, health care, or education for my children.

Good one Maskif, you are right!
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one is supporting a family of 4 on $3,000 usd/monthly, that's tough in any developed country. 10,000 for flight tickets would indeed be difficult.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what's referred to as an emergency or back-up fund.
mashkif

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skeletor wrote:
$10,754 US for me to travel home with my family (2 children and 2 adults) on a 31 hour flight (via Expedia). I can get a shorter flight for more money but Interlink books the cheapest. So out of the $3,000 US a month I earn, I should put aside approximately $1,000 US a month for the good of Interlink. Or as you said, I should save my $10,754 within six months, so I should really be putting aside 1,792 a month for the first six months. Now, obviously not being a mollycoddle worker, I consider this to be fair and would rather do this than put my money into a long term investment, save for my pension, health care, or education for my children.

Good one Maskif, you are right!

Well, look (and "sorry," but you're not going to like this): If $3,000 per month of DISPOSABLE income is not enough, then you seriously messed up your life somewhere along the way. I mean, to get $3,000 net per month in the U.S., one's gross salary has to be a solid $70,000 p.a. if not more. That is a VERY comfortable salary in America, whether one has a mortgage or is renting. If it really IS such a problem, then perhaps you should also not have had two kids. Perhaps you might also want to encourage your spouse to get a job.

(Incidentally, a round-trip ticket from Riyadh to New York (7/2 - 8/30) costs $1,300.)

Just sayin'!
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKELETOR

Give your children up to an orphanage and divorce your wife ! Live as a 500-clubber and all will be well !

(Irony Alert)
lazarenoir

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anyone my age who has an emergency fund of 10K USD. I'm not even sure my parents have that, at least not liquid.

The complaint seems totally valid to me. The issue seems to be that companies just don't do what you want them to do, and sometimes they don't even do what they said they were going to do. Doesn't make the complaint invalid, just ultimately, and unfortunately, irrelevant to reality.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazarenoir:

No, it's really not a valid complaint. Many contracting companies and possibly a few direct-hire employers simply do not offer dependent benefits (e.g., flights, health care, and education allowance). That's something job seekers need to keep in mind when deciding to apply for and/or accept a position. In other words, they would need to be realistic about their situation and thus, budget and prepare accordingly for any unexpected or out-of-pocket costs. That could be quite expensive depending on how many family members are involved.

Obviously, expect to get screwed somehow if the company is sketchy. That is, keep your expectations low. But then, do your research up front and know which of these outfits to completely avoid. But if you choose to get on that plane anyway, then have a contingency or back-up fund.
Skeletor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$30,000 US net is more like $40,000 US gross. 3,000 net is okay though and you can save the 10,000.

The point is, why should an employee be expected to save the money for air tickets when Interlink is contracted to supply air tickets home and why is it wrong for an employee to complain when Interlink skims the money off the top?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: