Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TESOL Survey: Request for Participants

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arqueille

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: TESOL Survey: Request for Participants Reply with quote

TESOL Survey: Request for Participants
Introduction
This is for a research study for the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. I am asking current and former expatriate TESOL teachers to take a brief survey and answer two paragraph-long essay questions; this form is intended to let you know what the study is about so you can make an informed decision as to whether or not you wish to take part in it. It’s entirely up to you; participation is designed to be completely anonymous. If, after reading it, you decide not to take part, you can simply leave the browser page. If you want to answer some questions and not others, that too is your option.

Before making your decision:
• Please carefully read this form or have it read to you.
• Please ask questions about anything that is not clear.

Feel free to take your time thinking about whether you would like to participate. By agreeing to this form you will not give up any legal rights. If you are completing this consent form online, you may want to print a copy of the consent form for your records.

Study Overview This study plans to learn more about the reasons many new TESOL teachers teaching abroad leave their contracts (and often, the profession) before their first year contract has been completed.

Procedures Past and present TESOL teachers are being asked to click on the Survey Monkey link and answer a 23-question survey. Most of the questions are either true/false or multiple choice; two of them are brief essay-type questions regarding personal or witnessed incidents of teacher attrition. The survey has instructions on how to participate and submit answers. Participation in this should take approximately 10 minutes.

Survey Monkey Link:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LTHBQ97
Thank you for your participation!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Alcohol? Religion? Weird survey.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed out the kiddies, dragon.

I think this is someone trying to generalize his personal impressions from having taught somewhere in Asia to a wider context.

I teach at the grad and postgrad level, and this wouldn't be accepted as a scientific project at 'my' institution.
NilSatis82

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also some really weird language and strange expressions. 'Wind up', 'hellions'? - Very odd choice of language for this kind of questionnaire.

Also, 'witnessing to non-believers', isn't that basically proselytising? Hardly in the same category as attending religious services in terms of 'practising your faith'. And who the hell is Ayn Rand?

For Q10, many teachers working in private language schools will teach a mixture of ages, so wouldn't be able to answer this question.

It also seems very American-centric, which perhaps explains the obsession with religion Laughing
Infinite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
You missed out the kiddies, dragon.

My thoughts exactly.

To sum up this survey - are you an alcoholic who's deeply religious and enjoys conducting classes full of kids?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

Sounds like a recipe for disaster! Normal in Thailand I guess Smile
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: lol Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Sounds like a recipe for disaster! Normal in Thailand I guess Smile
hehe. I taught in Bangkok a few years ago - know the exact teachers you're thinking of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: