Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ludka Kotarska owes me wages, think twice about Bell Poland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarmaComa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Ludka Kotarska owes me wages, think twice about Bell Poland Reply with quote

Hello,

I am writing this in the hope that someone can help or it saves a teacher going through what I am going through. It is slightly long winded, but please take the time to read it. It may save you from working for a crook. This is simply my experience of working for Ludka and Bell Poland. Take what you will.

I worked for Bell Poland for two years and just finished this summer 2014. I know Curtmonster, we worked together at the same school. In my first year, all the teachers were consistently paid late from November through to June. During my second year, the situation grew worse where I was paid anything from one to three weeks late. It was incredibly frustrating and it left a bitter taste as I had been a faithful employee and done a very good job for the company (in my humble opinion), I didn't miss one day of work and remained professional despite the situation.

The head teacher at the school was always very helpful and sympathetic, she tried to help where she could and we had a few no b*llshit conversations with the cards down on the table. I found out Ludka owed her a serious amount of money as well as the head teacher at another school. I assume it was the same for all the schools except the one Ludka was based at. As it happens, Ludka could not pay this debt and that head teahcer now runs the school independently.

For my final months wages, Ludka managed to pay them into the wrong account. I know she received my UK bank details with instruction to pay the money into my UK account, I have evidence of this. When I closed my Polish account in June, I was told it had a one month cool down before being completely terminated. This means money can be paid in, but I can only withdraw it within that month period in person from the bank. Since the payment was late in July, I was at a UK summer school and unable to travel to Poland. She did not rectify and has not rectified this mistake meaning I lose a months wages for her incompetence.

I have contacted EQALS, but they are unable to help. I have contacted the main company Bell, but they are unable to help. I have been cheated out of payment for my labour and I don't know how to fight to win it back.

Any advice or help would be appreciated. Needless to say, any teachers working for Bell, I urge you to find a new school. Don't let this woman continue to exploit teachers and operate as a business. She lacks ethics and common decency.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your situation, KarmaComa; I like the Massive Attack song.

The delayed and/or no payment problems at ELS Bell Poland have been going on for years now. Several of my friends have been affected.

Do a search on Dave's and you'll see stories like yours (and worse) coming out of the woodwork. The sad thing is, Bell used to be one of the best schools in Poland to work for.
Louisdf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Bell in Warsaw close down? On the list of schools on their site, Warsaw is not there.
KarmaComa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, thanks for the response.

Louisdf, I think you're right about the school in Warsaw. I know they moved around a lot prior to closing. I think there might be one or two more to follow.

Master Shake, yeah they have a few good songs and they are always good to chillout to. I have been through most of the forums and I am well aware of the amount of people who have had a negative experience of Bell Poland. To be honest, it's not Bell Poland that is to blame. I am convinced the buck stops with Ludka.

I don't suppose you know anyone or have any advice on how to get her to pay up?
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the school is in such trouble, it's unlikely they'll have the means to pay up - but you can try the e-sąd in Lublin (online court) as a first resort. Is the company registered in Warsaw, too?
Louisdf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
If the school is in such trouble, it's unlikely they'll have the means to pay up - but you can try the e-sąd in Lublin (online court) as a first resort. Is the company registered in Warsaw, too?

I expect not.
Szkoła ELS-Bell w Warszawie prowadzi obecnie wyłącznie kursy i szkolenia dla firm i instytucji. Wszystkim słuchaczom, którzy uczyli się w naszej szkole w latach poprzednich, serdecznie dziękujemy za okazane zaufanie.-
ELS-Bell School Warsaw is currently only training courses for companies and institutions. All students who studied at our school in previous years, thank you for your trust.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarmaComa wrote:
To be honest, it's not Bell Poland that is to blame. I am convinced the buck stops with Ludka.

I don't suppose you know anyone or have any advice on how to get her to pay up?
Ludka is the director of ELS Bell which, I believe, is a franchise of Bell Poland. I haven't heard anything about payment problems at non-ELS Bell schools.

As for your pay, have you tried contacting the bank about the problem? I mean, if she paid you, the money should still be there. It has probably been moved into a holding account.

If that doesn't work, keep putting pressure on Ludka - the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I know a couple people who have eventually gotten their money after weeks or months of reminding and pestering and reporting it to EQUALS, etc...

Has she at least acknowledged that it was her mistake?
KarmaComa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted the bank several times and liaised with the head teacher at my school. She met with the bank manager on my behalf and got the same information I received from the bank...I can only access it in person from the branch in Poland. Obviously this is very difficult to do as I am teaching in Egypt right now.

I have also been working closely with EQUALS, but that has also hit a brick wall. Ludka is no longer part of EQUALS and they told me they have no influence with her anymore. They were semi helpful, but they can't help me anymore.

She has not admitted that it is her mistake despite several attempts to get her to. She ducks it every time. At first, she tried to blame the bank for not telling me about the month cool down period (which is not true. They did tell me). Then she tried to say my UK account number didn't have enough digits, so she thought it best to put the money in my Polish account. This is the worst excuse of all due to it being so illogical. At the end of my first year at the school, she paid my final wage into my UK account (two months late of course). I gave her instructions to pay the money into my UK account, so at what point does she have the right to choose another account, pay it and not inform me prior to her decision. She is completely in the wrong here. What's more, I don't see why I should have to pay expenses and time to go to Poland to get my money which she has put in the wrong place despite my instructions!

What is e-sad?
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-sad is an online court based in lublin, the court process won't help you as there's nothing to go to court with. "I told her and she didn't do what i said" is not a legal argument in Poland.

Are you never coming to Poland ever again? If yes, the money is here. If not, it might be worth contacting a radca prawny here in Poland to see if you can sign some kind of proxy agreement for someone to get it on your behalf. The amount of faff involved (and cost) unless you have a RP friend wouldn't make it worthwhile
Master Shake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least Bell has given you some support trying to get the money from the bank.

Why not just arrange a 'Poland Reunion Trip' a few months down the road and get your cash then? Check with the bank to be sure, but I'll bet they'll hold your cash for quite a while.

Look on the bright side; Bell did pay you eventually. Others haven't been so lucky.
KarmaComa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I hear what you are saying Master Shake. It's just such an avoidable situation, if Ludka had followed my instructions, it would be done and dusted. I actually think she is devious enough to deliberately pay the money into the Polish account thinking it would bounce back then she could stall further. She has screwed both of us with this move I guess.

EQUALS got back to me today and they told me Ludka is not responding to any of their communications. They have been trying for the past 3 weeks! I also found out from the head teacher at my old school that a vast percentage of teachers have still not been paid at all.

It's just the idea of her getting away with such terrible business ethics that really sticks in my throat. She really should have to answer for her poor treatment of staff. Perhaps it's naive, but I do believe in what goes around comes around, perhaps the crumbling of her language empire is a result of this?

Thanks for your help anyway guys. If you think or hear about any new ways teachers have received their money, let me know.

Thanks again.
gardenbotanical1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EAQUALS not interested in this subject any more. They've been contacted umpteen times by many former employees: it's too uncomfortable, too much work, too whatever...

So tired of hearing these stories...again, why not just do some basic research first and avoid these awful schools in Poland?

Better yet, give Poland a miss if you're not already invested...it's had it's day; there are simply not enough payoffs on offer to deal with the dishonesty that appears so entrenched and which wears you down.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's even dishonesty, rather just a reflection of how the bigger schools found themselves under close scrutiny from the authorities combined with smaller schools attacking them from all angles. Many of them got into quite a lot of trouble as a result - I'm still shocked that Profi Lingua is still in business, although they're certainly struggling.

The problem is that many of these bigger schools had/have very expensive buildings to pay for, but the student numbers aren't there - teachers have opened up their own language schools in suburbia and beyond, and no-one needs to go to Centrum anymore for a language class.
gardenbotanical1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points mate.

In the case of Bell, it is dishonesty and a complete lack of personal integrity as the owner has (i'm almost 100% sure based based on how Bell used to coin it) no financial issues, yet will take and has taken, to my knowledge, no personal responsibility for the native (and i'm fairly sure non-native as well) staff.

How does she sleep at night?

Good for teachers who have taken their careers by the scruff and set up on their own! Warms my cockles to hear it!
ieltsteacher102

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How does she sleep at night?

With a smile on a pillow of cash Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: