Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air Conditioning in PI?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
fpshangzhou



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 116

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Air Conditioning in PI? Reply with quote

My gf will bring our baby to stay with her family while we continue to work in China until the paperwork to go to the US gets processed. I will also visit the Philippines in February for 2 weeks, during Chinese New Year to get married.
I would like to know how much an air conditioner unit would cost and how much the average monthly bill would be? We have a house in Cavite, which we will move to eventually, and would like to install central air in the house. I believe it's a modest size house and would like to know how much it costs to install the system?

Cheers,

Aaron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
suphanburi



Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 237

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning in PI? Reply with quote

fpshangzhou wrote:
My gf will bring our baby to stay with her family while we continue to work in China until the paperwork to go to the US gets processed. I will also visit the Philippines in February for 2 weeks, during Chinese New Year to get married.
I would like to know how much an air conditioner unit would cost and how much the average monthly bill would be? We have a house in Cavite, which we will move to eventually, and would like to install central air in the house. I believe it's a modest size house and would like to know how much it costs to install the system?

Cheers,

Aaron


"Central air" is not going to happen.

Wall/window mounted, one piece A/C units are common and costs are anywhere from 12000php (plus VAT (sales tax)) and up.
You can find small units for as little as 8000 php.

Starting about 24k php you can find 2 piece units - wall mounted interior unit and separate compressor unit that you mount outside.

http://www.abenson.com.ph/products/by_category/aircon

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rioux



Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Posts: 312

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price for electricity in the Philippines is a total rip-off.

http://www.rappler.com/business/10737-electricity-prices-in-ph-likely-to-stay-high-in-the-short-term

I paid about 3000 pesos a month - about 60 US dollars or so.

Worked in Korea and my electric bill was only 30,000 won - about 25 dollars a month.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fpshangzhou



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 116

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She'll be shipping a box container of goodies from China when she goes over there. I guess the best thing to do is do comparison shopping here to see if it's worth shipping or just buying in PI.

Note: So you're saying no house in PI has central air? Is the quality of house not good or any reason for it not being offered on the market? The weather and environment definitely warrants it, especially since it's an energy saver on a island where energy is a constant shortage.

Cheers,

Aaron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EFL Educator



Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 325

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Philippines (Manila & Cebu) in general is becoming a very expensive destination for accomodation in general. Manila will soon be the most expensive city to live in Southeast Asia. This is primarily due to the greedy landlords. If you are an EFL teacher think twice before living in Manila....you will find it very, very difficult to save any money at all! Shocked [/url]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
suphanburi



Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 237

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fpshangzhou wrote:
She'll be shipping a box container of goodies from China when she goes over there. I guess the best thing to do is do comparison shopping here to see if it's worth shipping or just buying in PI.

Note: So you're saying no house in PI has central air? Is the quality of house not good or any reason for it not being offered on the market? The weather and environment definitely warrants it, especially since it's an energy saver on a island where energy is a constant shortage.

Cheers,

Aaron


I would be surprised if any house has central air.
It is a combination of a lack of insulation (no way to keep the cold in), not being offered in the local markets (too expensive) and the local temperatuires don't warrant it (temps on most islands are between a low of 22 and a high of 32).

You have a huge heat sink at your doorstep (the pacific ocean) keeping it all temperate with regular sea breezes.

I have a 1200 sq.ft. bungalow on Bohol and don't even have glass in the windows (just screens to keep the bugs out and an awning to keep the rain off with shutters for security when we aren't home).

Not having A/C has never been an issue. Simple fans have been adequate and much cheaper to install and use.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rioux



Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Posts: 312

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
You have a huge heat sink at your doorstep (the pacific ocean) keeping it all temperate with regular sea breezes.


It depends on what part of Cavite they will be living in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fpshangzhou



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess a person just has to dive head first into the humidity of s.e. asian countries and adapt to the environment. Going from a dry desert region to a tropical type weather will be a learning experience.
No need to invest in insulation if the market doesn't call for it.
Thanks for all the advice/info from you guys/girls.

Cheers,
Aaron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC