Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reliability & speed of internet in Oaxaca City

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzuri

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reliability & speed of internet in Oaxaca City Reply with quote

Oaxaca City is on my short list of cities I may relocate to for one year, beginning January 2015. (Yes, I understand a visa run will be necessary mid-stream.)

I teach English online and it's imperative that I have reliable, high-speed internet access.

My sense is that this will be fine in Oaxaca, but I'm wondering about:
    1. Particular plans/companies - cost? varied speed or reliability depending on company?
    2. Are there any areas in Oaxaca City that don't have good access, though other parts do?
    3. I see that a number of landlords say wifi is included in the rent, but in general, is the wifi speed/reliability any good?

Thanks in advance for any help.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability & speed of internet in Oaxaca City Reply with quote

mzuri wrote:
Oaxaca City is on my short list of cities I may relocate to for one year, beginning January 2015. (Yes, I understand a visa run will be necessary mid-stream.)

I teach English online and it's imperative that I have reliable, high-speed internet access.

1. Particular plans/companies - cost? varied speed or reliability depending on company?
    2. Are there any areas in Oaxaca City that don't have good access, though other parts do?
    3. I see that a number of landlords say wifi is included in the rent, but in general, is the wifi speed/reliability any good?

There is basically only TELMEX, other ways of getting internet is somebody else is selling you a shared TELMEX connection. There *might* be cable internet available from Telecable (Yoo) but I'm not sure if it's gotten to the capital yet (it's not available in other parts of the state, even though it is advertized as being available, but when you go to the offices to ask you are told it hasn't come here yet.

You can find the TELMEX rates here. http://www.telmex.com/web/hogar/conexion-internet

There are many areas of the city where getting a phone line would be difficult or impossible. The answer is to simply concentrate your search on apartments with phones already installed.

The wifi would be very variable depending on how many people were using it and what they are doing with it. Probably not a viable option for someone who needs consistant service for work.
mzuri

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability & speed of internet in Oaxaca City Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
mzuri wrote:

There is basically only TELMEX, other ways of getting internet is somebody else is selling you a shared TELMEX connection. There *might* be cable internet available from Telecable (Yoo) but I'm not sure if it's gotten to the capital yet (it's not available in other parts of the state, even though it is advertized as being available, but when you go to the offices to ask you are told it hasn't come here yet.

You can find the TELMEX rates here. http://www.telmex.com/web/hogar/conexion-internet

There are many areas of the city where getting a phone line would be difficult or impossible. The answer is to simply concentrate your search on apartments with phones already installed.

The wifi would be very variable depending on how many people were using it and what they are doing with it. Probably not a viable option for someone who needs consistant service for work.

Thanks for the helpful reply. Makes sense about finding a place that already has a phone line.

I looked at the telmex site.

Stupid question: My current speed is 3.9 Mbps, which is ample for my needs. Does Telemex' Mbps of 3, 5, and 10 refer to same naming protocol, i.e. megabytes (and not megabits)? And therefore, I'd be fine with getting the 5-Mbps package?
mtiz

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 5m package and it is more than fast enough for me. I am in the DF but have spent much time in Oaxaca and never had internet issues in the city.
mzuri

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, both of you. Very reassuring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: