Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I know no Russian language...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
csdandridge

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: I know no Russian language... Reply with quote

I got an offer from a school in Saint Petersburg. It would start in September.

I would obviously start learning the language now.

But comrades, will I be miserable in Saint Petersburg with only an elementary grasp of the language?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to the Paradise. Find a pillow dictionary. Make great strides!

No one is ever miserable in the Motherland. Too much joy to be had being free from the Piggies.
coledavis

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can learn to read and pronounce Russian letters in a few days. As most Russian words are spoken exactly as they are spelt (almost the opposite of British English), you will then have the use of a dictionary. Not bad.

My suggestion is to buy a book like the Penguin Russian course and get the first few chapters under your belt. That should include the reading, pronunciation and some basic Russian (please, thank you, I want, etc). If I were you, I would not bother with the handwritten Russian, as it will hold you up when you first start. And buy a pocket Anglo-Russian dictionary (Oxford is ok).

Don't try to learn everything - nobody expects that - but at least get those functional bits mastered.
teacher X

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian is a bitch to learn. I'm no linguist, so I find my classes to be rather painful. But as Coledavis states, get the basics under your belt and you'll be alright in general day to day situations.

I can competently order in restaurants, do my shopping, ask for directions and such. I can express myself in a simple manner and have fairly basic conversations, but this has taken about 10 months to achieve. But I'm a real lazy student and rarely do anything outside of class. If I were a dedicated student, I would be speaking pretty well by now.

So, get yourself some lessons, maybe twice a week and you'll do fine.

That said, I know teachers who have been here for years and have a lower level of Russian than I do. So clearly you can get by knowing almost nothing, but you'll be very dependent on Russian friends and colleagues to help you out.
coledavis

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As part of the basics, learn stuff like counting to 10 (up to 20 is better but a bit more difficult), also the days of the week. When making appointments, your life will be so much easier when you know your Tuesday from your Thursday.
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Pimsleur? I managed to get (Torrents) Levels 1,2 and 3 of pimsleur language. Has anyone tried it and found it useful? Its from an american perspective " you are an american man talking to a russian etc"

coledavis wrote:
You can learn to read and pronounce Russian letters in a few days. As most Russian words are spoken exactly as they are spelt (almost the opposite of British English), you will then have the use of a dictionary. Not bad.

My suggestion is to buy a book like the Penguin Russian course and get the first few chapters under your belt. That should include the reading, pronunciation and some basic Russian (please, thank you, I want, etc). If I were you, I would not bother with the handwritten Russian, as it will hold you up when you first start. And buy a pocket Anglo-Russian dictionary (Oxford is ok).

Don't try to learn everything - nobody expects that - but at least get those functional bits mastered.
teacher X

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Rosetta Stone for a while. It's good initially, but once it starts getting onto cases, you really need to be using a text book to explain the grammar aspect. I found the tasks almost impossible without some extended grammatical study.

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t31.0-8/977380_10152873100585613_1016773808_o.jpg

This will become your very best friend.

What's the point in having the [img] tag on this site when it doesn't work?
coledavis

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Penguin is in British English but at the level you want it, I don't think the cultural references will be all that important.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a bare minimum learn the alphabet. You'll then find a fair number of recognisable words in common with other major European languages like English or French. "PECTOPAH" makes a lot more sense when you can read Cyrillic Smile
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double plus good comment!

Дубил плус гуд коммент!
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks will look out for penguin.

coledavis wrote:
The Penguin is in British English but at the level you want it, I don't think the cultural references will be all that important.
LAR1SSA

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: I know no Russian language... Reply with quote

csdandridge wrote:
I got an offer from a school in Saint Petersburg. It would start in September.

I would obviously start learning the language now.

But comrades, will I be miserable in Saint Petersburg with only an elementary grasp of the language?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

There are a LOT of people who speak English in Saint Pete, if you are lazy you could get away with barely knowing Russian and be just fine...

On that note, its better that you get a private teacher or some vocab apps on your phone for the metro rides
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why limit yourself when there is so much richness to be experienced in learning Russian? Crack open the books and open up a new dimension.

Hic!
fat_chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
But why limit yourself when there is so much richness to be experienced in learning Russian? Crack open the books and open up a new dimension.

Seconded!

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat_chris, is that you?! Back from your top-secret mission?

You are looking well. Added a few pounds I see.

Welcome back! Hang on... I'll just crack open the Beluga crate lying here under my office desk...

CHEERS!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: