Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to move to Russia in the next 6 or so weeks.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Comrade B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Looking to move to Russia in the next 6 or so weeks. Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Smile

First post on the boards. Just a brief intro:

I've been searching for an EFL job in Russia (I live in Toronto) for past two weeks now. I have a couple of years of experience teaching Russian speakers on Skype, as well a CELTA and an IELTS teaching certificate (an online certificate from one of CambridgeEnglishTeacher.com to beef up the credentials). I also do speak Russian, by most estimates at the C1 level.

Reading through the threads, I feel that the consensus appears to be to go with a McSchool for at least your first year, if only to ensure your legal status in the country and gain some experience teaching in the classroom.

I've received interview requests from CREF, IPT and Wall Street English. I will be sending my application to Tom's House and Windsor shortly.

CREF offers 54,000 rubles + transit pass for ~120 hours, and 71,500 for ~140 + quarterly bonus. I feel like there are better offers from other schools.

Windsor offers about 46,000 + 18,000 in housing support + transit pass + annual bonus. They also seem to be more welcoming of new teachers, judging by the tone of their ads.

Wall Street English/Institute hasn't posted an ad in years (from what I've seen) until now, which would lead me to suspect that their turnover is low. They've reached out to me for an interview. They offer $1350 USD + "free accommodation" + monthly bonus + transit pass...I don't know how many hours I'd be working, though.

IPT's offer was poor...1200 rubles per 2 academic hours.

I have very little information about Tom's House...

Given the ruble's nosedive, $1350 (~88,000 rubles) is a very good salary. Couple that with the accommodation and transit pass, and it works out to be a sweet deal for a newcomer like me.

My question is, do you or anyone you know have any stories/experiences with these schools to share?

Much appreciated!
yu91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to move to Russia in the next 6 or so weeks. Reply with quote

The Wall Street Institute is definitely the best deal, I think I had an interview with them this summer and they're offer was for around 30 academic hours a week, same salary in dollars. I ended up going with a different school which was a mistake since the salary was in rubles.

Honestly, I spent three months teaching English in Russia from September to December and what I would recommend is to find a school that will offer you the least amount of teaching hours. This will allow you more time to teach privates, which is where the real money is.
Comrade B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to move to Russia in the next 6 or so weeks. Reply with quote

yu91 wrote:
The Wall Street Institute is definitely the best deal, I think I had an interview with them this summer and they're offer was for around 30 academic hours a week, same salary in dollars. I ended up going with a different school which was a mistake since the salary was in rubles.

Honestly, I spent three months teaching English in Russia from September to December and what I would recommend is to find a school that will offer you the least amount of teaching hours. This will allow you more time to teach privates, which is where the real money is.

I appreciate the advice, thanks a lot.

Do most school contracts not have a clause that stipulates that you're not allowed to hold private lessons while teaching for them?

Or am I just forgetting that this is Russia... Laughing
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For expats new to Russia, housing and visa support of of premiere importance. These are all but impossible to negotiate without assistance. The rest of it is wangle-able by an average human being.

Any employer who dithers on housing or visas should be viewed with extreme caution no matter what the wages, hours, or workload.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all pretty much the same, these schools. And not in a nice way...
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to move to Russia in the next 6 or so weeks. Reply with quote

Comrade B wrote:

Do most school contracts not have a clause that stipulates that you're not allowed to hold private lessons while teaching for them?

Or am I just forgetting that this is Russia... Laughing

Contracts say a lot of things. Wink
Legally, you are only allowed to work at the school which provided you with the visa. What you do in your spare time is your business. Can you really be blamed if you happen to be helping out a 'friend' with some questions about English for 90 minutes and the friend wishes to give a small donation of cash as a thank you?
Comrade B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone. Quick update:

I had my first interview with the Wall Street Institute today. The interview itself was decent. very casual. The interviewer's hometown is actually a mere 50 km from where I live, so that was a neat coincidence. I should get a second interview (where I run a mini-class for them apparently) soon, but I won't take it for granted.

The hours are standard at 30 a week, but the salary is a lie. Because of the ruble's decline, they only pay you 80% of the equivalent of $1350 in rubles; that's rather slimy, but I'm glad I was told this from the get-go. Nevertheless, 80% of $1350 is 70,000 rubles + shared accommodation (I strongly prefer living alone, so I'll try to negotiate an allowance) + transit pass + a small monthly bonus (of, on average, 5000 rubles, depending on retention/sales) works out to be superior to pretty much every other McSchool job offer out there. They're also indifferent to you teaching privately.

With Minsk 2.0 and oil prices bottoming out, the ruble will only be rising, which will diminish the salary even further every month. A salary in rubles, ironically, is more stable for domestic consumption.

expatella_girl wrote:
For expats new to Russia, housing and visa support of of premiere importance. These are all but impossible to negotiate without assistance. The rest of it is wangle-able by an average human being.

Any employer who dithers on housing or visas should be viewed with extreme caution no matter what the wages, hours, or workload.

I agree that those two should be top priorities.

By the way, what do you mean by assistance? Friends in high places? Laughing

Sashadroogie wrote:
They are all pretty much the same, these schools. And not in a nice way...

Could you be a bit more specific, Sasha? In the sense that they're always rotating you around different locations and giving you irregular hours, perhaps?

Phillip Schofield wrote:

Contracts say a lot of things. Wink
Legally, you are only allowed to work at the school which provided you with the visa. What you do in your spare time is your business. Can you really be blamed if you happen to be helping out a 'friend' with some questions about English for 90 minutes and the friend wishes to give a small donation of cash as a thank you?

That's true, but that would still prevent you from advertising publicly. In any case, these guys seem to have a relaxed attitude toward it. Not that they necessarily like it, they just don't take issue.
Comrade B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, the more and more I think about it, Windsor may also be a decent place to work at:

Quote:
Typical remuneration package for a qualified teacher is to a value of approximately 90 000 rubles net of tax a month and includes following:
- Monthly salary from 46 000 net for 30 academic hours a week. 1 academic hour equals 40 minutes. A workload of 26 hours a week is also an option.
- Shared accommodation close to a metro station or 18 000 rubles allowance.
- Visa sponsorship during the contract.
- Medical insurance.
- Unlimited travel card.
- Flight allowance.
- Meeting at the airport on arrival.
- Paid induction period (without a reduction in salary).
- Paid holiday.
- Full academic support (including bi-monthly in-house training, consultation sessions and seminars). Mentoring for less experienced teachers and personalized support through the first weeks in Moscow.
- Free Russian lessons for all levels given by a professional teacher.
- Free Internet access in the school; free coffee and tea.
- Annual bonus.
- Overtime during the week or weekend (which is optional) might total, for example, 400-500 USD per month for 4-6 extra academic hours per week.

Although the salary is lacking, the overtime opportunity looks very lucrative and the fact that they support their less experienced teachers makes me feel much more at ease. Could anyone attest to their quality?
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comrade B wrote:

The hours are standard at 30 a week, but the salary is a lie. Because of the ruble's decline, they only pay you 80% of the equivalent of $1350 in rubles; that's rather slimy, but I'm glad I was told this from the get-go.

Hah! Perhaps when my school starts advertising for the summer I'll suggest that they offer $2000 per month, but that 'due to the devaluation of the ruble, we cut it by 75%'.

Comrade B wrote:

That's true, but that would still prevent you from advertising publicly.

Nope. I'm pretty sure that most ESL teachers here advertise publicly.
Comrade B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phillip Schofield wrote:
Comrade B wrote:

The hours are standard at 30 a week, but the salary is a lie. Because of the ruble's decline, they only pay you 80% of the equivalent of $1350 in rubles; that's rather slimy, but I'm glad I was told this from the get-go.

Hah! Perhaps when my school starts advertising for the summer I'll suggest that they offer $2000 per month, but that 'due to the devaluation of the ruble, we cut it by 75%'.

Comrade B wrote:

That's true, but that would still prevent you from advertising publicly.

Nope. I'm pretty sure that most ESL teachers here advertise publicly.

Mmm...it really does sound terrible in hindsight; blatant false advertising. To think I might have only scratched the surface with this one...may post another topic to warn everyone, just in case.

And yeah, good to know it's possible to still get your name out freely.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsor was once a decent place to work, and paid fairly well. But over the years it has declined. Owner moved to other part if Russia, management went to hell. Nearly went under, but then got into IELTS prep and has chugged along ever since. Not sure if it's current situation, but all my contacts quit it years ago because of instability, irregular hours, salary issues.

IPT is best avoided for reasons detailed elsewhere. Serious problems there.

Tom's House is run by some very nice people. But they are fairly clueless about Tefl all round. It's mainly a Russian teacher outfit. At least it was. Don't have fresh intel.

Wall St isn't really a school at all, but mire if a marketing ploy to pull the wool over locals who think they can learn a language by clicking on a computer.

All of these places are short-term options, but could be useful for getting foot in the door. However, a bigger McSchool can do that too, and point the way to other opportunities, and form a much wider network of contacts. The Mac money isn't so much lower, and at least there'll be more available hours.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Comrade B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Windsor was once a decent place to work, and paid fairly well. But over the years it has declined. Owner moved to other part if Russia, management went to hell. Nearly went under, but then got into IELTS prep and has chugged along ever since. Not sure if it's current situation, but all my contacts quit it years ago because of instability, irregular hours, salary issues.

IPT is best avoided for reasons detailed elsewhere. Serious problems there.

Tom's House is run by some very nice people. But they are fairly clueless about Tefl all round. It's mainly a Russian teacher outfit. At least it was. Don't have fresh intel.

Wall St isn't really a school at all, but mire if a marketing ploy to pull the wool over locals who think they can learn a language by clicking on a computer.

All of these places are short-term options, but could be useful for getting foot in the door. However, a bigger McSchool can do that too, and point the way to other opportunities, and form a much wider network of contacts. The Mac money isn't so much lower, and at least there'll be more available hours.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Thanks a lot, Sasha, very informative.

Any clue as to what Tom's House offers in the way of salary? Hey, if they're nice, that's a huge plus. Probably the biggest intangible. Windsor does have the option of a 26-hour-per-week contract. Though, as you said, regularity might be an issue.

And one last thing: do you know anything about the Orange Language Centre in Saint Petersburg?

I may be asking for too much here, but I strongly, strongly prefer to live alone. Call me spoiled, but I am willing to dish out about 30k on a studio if need be.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno much about schools in St Petersburg, I'm afraid. Or the current salaries in schools - all in flux, I hear.

Rents to will be an issue, I guess. But 30k for a single flat might be a little on the optimistic side. Not sure that it will be doable, for a habitable place, at least.
Comrade B

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Dunno much about schools in St Petersburg, I'm afraid. Or the current salaries in schools - all in flux, I hear.

Rents to will be an issue, I guess. But 30k for a single flat might be a little on the optimistic side. Not sure that it will be doable, for a habitable place, at least.

Gotcha.

Am I looking at 40 minimum for a half-decent (by Russia standards) apartment?
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it very much depends on what you class as 'half-decent' and where you want to live.
My girlfriend has been looking at apartments which she considers to be 'nice' for around 30k per month.
She hates my current apartment (it is a bit Sovietsky) so I would assume that what she's looking at is rather nice indeed.

Much of it depends on where you live in relation to the nearest metro or the centre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: