Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New ex-pat employment law
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CVN-76

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the NOC is but another way to control teachers. One can only imagine all the petty games that will be played because of this.

"Two of your students out of 200 didn't like you. No NOC for you."

"You posted something negative on Dave's ESL Cafe. Sorry, but we can not provide you with an NOC at this time."

I don't mean to sound negative, but TESOL jobs and the overall TESOL environment seem to have noticeably declined the past 10 years. Good jobs have become harder to find. Although the west has waded into an economic mess, turnover in this business is as high as ever. If teachers are still quitting in droves when there are fewer prospects back home, that tells us something. The NOC requirement is one more thing to tick us off, one more barrier that shouldn't be imposed on us.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think CVN-76 has touched on an important point here. The employers can now treat their employees with even more disdain than before. 'What, you don't want to teach ten more hours? So leave and remember you can't come back for at least two years!"
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much all the motivation I needed to move on.

Before I came here last fall, I had heard all these great things about Oman -- about the people, the work environment, the hobbies. And I got here, and it's nothing like I was told. I really have nothing positive to say about my current situation, other than I don't have to pay taxes. I just kept telling myself "put in a year or two and you can move somewhere better." Now apparently that isn't the case. So I'm outta here.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
I think CVN-76 has touched on an important point here. The employers can now treat their employees with even more disdain than before. 'What, you don't want to teach ten more hours? So leave and remember you can't come back for at least two years!"

That's my concern as well. However, it will also probably make it more difficult to attract good staff as this law does nothing to advertise Oman's desirability as a teaching destination.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on, a guys. It MAY help teachers. At least if those teachers are smart enough to know this will empower them more.

Scenario 1
Boss: "Starting today, you must teach 10 more hours a week. I know your contract says you will only have to teach 22 hours a week, but you're doing it. If you don't like it, you can leave. But remember, we won't give you an NOC, so you won't be allowed back to Oman for two years. At least."

Subservient, Naive Teacher: "Yes, master. Whatever you say, master."

Versus

Scenario 2
Boss: "Starting today, you must teach 10 more hours a week. I know your contract says you will only have to teach 22 hours a week, but you're doing it. If you don't like it, you can leave. But remember, we won't give you an NOC, so you won't be allowed back to Oman for two years. At least."

CVN-76: "No, I won't be teaching those extra hours. I am going to adhere to the contract, the one you used to draw me all the way over here from the USA. Go ahead and send me home. Good luck finding a new replacement, as a lot of those teachers you think will replace me are stuck in a 2-year holding pattern and can't come back here yet."
CVN-76

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
'What, you don't want to teach ten more hours?"

It'd be more like "Well, you see...a lot of teachers that USED to teach here in Oman are now stuck in a 2-year holding pattern and can't come back here to teach yet. So we don't have enough teachers to cover all the hours. Therefore, you and your colleagues will have to cover all the hours these teachers would be covering if they could only return to Oman. I know teaching 50 hours a week is a drag, but it is what it is."

Get ready to assert yourselves, my friends.

Last edited by CVN-76 on Tue May 13, 2014 10:34 am; edited 2 times in total
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I envisage the quality of teachers coming here going down if they continue in this vein. The payrise for Omanis only was an insult and now this. Not to mention the ban on live music in most places, the closure of many of the drinking dens, the restriction on the issuing of family visas for at least six months.....
Gazoo1000

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets say someone left their job one year ago and wants to return in September.

Does this mean they need a new contract approved by the ministry before July 1, 2014 or does the NOC letter make it not so?
CVN-76

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. What is more....Labor costs will go up, as employers will need to increasae salaries in order to attract enough teachers to go to Oman. Many who will be frozen out for two years would work for 3000 USD a month, but others, teachers who aren't frozen out and who recognize the truth (they are in higher demand) will want 3500 USD. I know I will if and when I go to Oman. Whatever the salary offer is, I will ask for at least 10% more.

Last edited by CVN-76 on Tue May 13, 2014 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazoo1000 wrote:
Lets say someone left their job one year ago and wants to return in September.

Does this mean they need a new contract approved by the ministry before July 1, 2014 or does the NOC letter make it not so?

Today's version of events from the MoM seems to indicate that if you finished your contract you're ok. Not sure if it's being applied retrospectively. Could all change again by tomorrow.....
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to the new regulations discouraging people-I think the 'no issuance of family visa until after 6 months' will play a major part for any married teachers.....
CVN-76

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully somebody in the Ministry of Manpower who has the power to make real decisions is reading this thread.
Chuma

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
, the restriction on the issuing of family visas for at least six months

Does this apply for anyone being issued a new work visa? Is there a minimum salary that can bypass this restriction?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuma wrote:
Quote:
, the restriction on the issuing of family visas for at least six months

Does this apply for anyone being issued a new work visa? Is there a minimum salary that can bypass this restriction?

You have to earn at least 600 OMR pcm to be eligible for a family visa but as this is a teacher's forum this is not an issue BUT the new rule seems to apply to everybody.
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plot thickens day by day....yesterday I read that the MOM had decided to reinstate the NOC enabling people to change employers......today I read that there is a 'new clause' which means that the employer will forfeit the right to replace the person for whom they have issued the NOC !!!???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: