Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Political Situation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Baht has strengthened? It just shot up past 35, actually very nice. If the Baht is fairing better than the dollar, then the Canadian dollar must be really reeling. So much for all the Canadian sensitivity and complacency towards all the third worlders.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least 12 people dead after blast hits Thai capital

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/bangkok-explosion-live-casualties-reported-after-blast-hits-thai-capital-10459068.html

Third Bomb Said Disarmed After Explosion
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1439814244&section=12&typecate=06

Updated:

Several foreigners among 27 dead in Thai shrine blast: media
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/17/us-thailand-blast-toll-idUSKCN0QM1IM20150817?mod=related&channelName=worldNews
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no news on the culprits. I haven't heard of any group claiming responsibility. This is very close to me, because I walk past that shrine on a daily basis when I travel to, and stay in Bangkok. Thai Buddhists will not target a shrine, because of the karma it would entail, Christians groups aren't actively attacking holy sites in other countries at the moment, that leaves Muslim separatists or even an Al Qaeda or ISIS linked group in Thailand. Possibly even a group linked to the Uighers or maybe the Rohinga that Thailand has been dealing with.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two little (1lb) pipe bombs outside a mall in Feb. No motive or conviction.
Bigger (3lb) pipe bomb at the Erawan shrine. Again, no claim of responsibility or motive.

What makes everyone think it is politically motivated.

Might only be the work of a generic, pipe bomb, serial killer with his brand new edition of the Anarchist's Cook Book practicing his English comprehension skills and getting some experience before the "big one".

Have no fear. The Royal Thai Police will bungle this as quickly as they did the Witheridge-Miller murder investigation or Siam Station BTS bombings and then promptly announce that Bangkok is again safe for tourists.

sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bangkok Post reporting another explosion at Sathorn Pier. Just a grenade, no injuries as it landed in the river:

Bomb tossed at Sathorn pier, no injuries

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/security/659988/bomb-tossed-at-sathorn-pier-no-injuries

UPDATE:

Second Bangkok Bombing Hits Tourist Boat Pier, PM Prayuth Addresses Nation
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1439884118
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Taxi driver that took him to Lumpini Park claims he didn't speak English or Thai and handed him a note telling him in English where to go. I told you a Buddhist would not bomb a shrine. Terrorism by Malay terrorists in the south has always been local, different and on a smaller scale. I'll bet the drawing of the individual looks a tad bit SE Asian due to being worked on by Thais and Thai observers. The bomb probably killed a very large percentage of all the worshipers inside the Shrine since it was as high as 20 and the shrine is rather small with on average around 50 people doing what they usually do there. I wonder about the professional dancers that dance there, how they fared. What an absolute cockroach group. I used to walk past the shrine 2 to 3 times a day when I was in Thailand
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Taxi driver that took him to Lumpini Park claims he didn't speak English or Thai and handed him a note telling him in English where to go. I told you a Buddhist would not bomb a shrine. Terrorism by Malay terrorists in the south has always been local, different and on a smaller scale. I'll bet the drawing of the individual looks a tad bit SE Asian due to being worked on by Thais and Thai observers. The bomb probably killed a very large percentage of all the worshipers inside the Shrine since it was as high as 20 and the shrine is rather small with on average around 50 people doing what they usually do there. I wonder about the professional dancers that dance there, how they fared. What an absolute cockroach group. I used to walk past the shrine 2 to 3 times a day when I was in Thailand
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in Thailand or planning to go there soon, you should be aware of this event occurring about 3 months from now:

Tough restrictions in Thailand ahead of August vote on draft constitution

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/tough-restrictions-in/2737044.html
TomAndHuck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey -- two years on, with the economy in real time contraction and the political situation a complete totalitarian 1984 nightmare, how do you all feel about your squishy rationalizations for a hard core right wing military coup that overthrew the elected government, and demolished every vestige of electoral democracy in the country?

Any hindsight here? Any contrition? Any fleeting glimpses in the mirror for how badly the ball was dropped? Or have we all left for greener pastures by this time?

No joke friends...80 open jobs posted at ajarn last week. In the middle of the term. That's on top of 40 posted last week and 40 the week before. Despite this, salaries ~not~ increased. Hoops to jump through not rescinded. It still is a right wing military dictatorship. Whinging and endless excuses not withstanding. Proceed at your own risk.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES there are lots of EFL jobs available in the Land Of SMILES these days...a real BUYERS market....any takers??? Very Happy Very Happy
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomAndHuck wrote:
Hey -- two years on, with the economy in real time contraction and the political situation a complete totalitarian 1984 nightmare, how do you all feel about your squishy rationalizations for a hard core right wing military coup that overthrew the elected government, and demolished every vestige of electoral democracy in the country?

Any hindsight here? Any contrition? Any fleeting glimpses in the mirror for how badly the ball was dropped? Or have we all left for greener pastures by this time?

No joke friends...80 open jobs posted at ajarn last week. In the middle of the term. That's on top of 40 posted last week and 40 the week before. Despite this, salaries ~not~ increased. Hoops to jump through not rescinded. It still is a right wing military dictatorship. Whinging and endless excuses not withstanding. Proceed at your own risk.

Lots of inuendo not backed up by facts.

The only open jobs are the 30k types. Most of those will either boost to 40k or hire NNES types to stay on budget.

Lots more jobs too, not just less teachers (although a LOT of the backpacker and gap year types have disappeared to other pastures where the paperwork is easier).

The MOE is boosting elementary schools to 5 periods per week and MUST include conversational English.

Anybody with a legitimate degree who is actually IN the country and has the wherewithal that Ghod gave to green apples was able to find work at 40k. If they actually new how to teach then there were enough openings at 50-60k this year.

And for those who are legitimately qualified... 75-100k (starting wages) at proper international schools are also out there.

As to the loss of freedoms... as a foreigner, you'd never know it if you didn't read the tripe in the local rag.

sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Sunday is August 07, the date set for the referendum to vote on Thailand's proposed new constitution. Although it is not likely any major crises will occur, it is certainly a good idea to be aware that this nationwide event is taking place.

Of importance to some will be the fact that the sale of alcohol will be banned.

For further details, please see:

UK and US issue travel warnings ahead of Thailand referendum
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/uk-us-issue-travel-warnings-ahead-thailand-referendum-1574388

Fears over Thailand referendum vote (video)

http://www.reuters.com/video/2016/08/04/fears-over-thailand-referendum-vote?videoId=369473544

In a 'bizarre' referendum, Thailand votes on a hybrid democracy
http://www.dw.com/en/in-a-bizarre-referendum-thailand-votes-on-a-hybrid-democracy/a-19448622
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vote yes; the general stays. vote no; the general stays. I think the military is necessary because there is just too much corruption. It actually is a Thai form of checks and balances. The crackdowns on free speech don't amuse me, but look how Facebook censors conservative viewpoints (that they don't deny factuality), or look at the ovation the press corps gave Hillary Clinton. Besides, foreigners are really suppose to be involved with politics. I vote with my feet and my wallet, and make sure I have plenty of Tigers in the frig. Rainy season has been great.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the hopes for stability after the referendum have been dashed.

Eight explosions rip through Thailand in 24 hours, at least 4 killed

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/world/asia/120816/thailand-at-least-one-killed-ten-injured-in-bomb-attack-in-resort.html

Thailand bombs: Hua Hin resort hit by twin blasts

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37049989

More explosions, fires reported in Thailand after twin bombs in Hua Hin
http://www.smh.com.au/world/more-explosions-fires-reported-in-thailand-after-twin-bombs-in-hua-hin-20160812-gqqza0.html
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: King's condition unstable after hemodialysis treatment Reply with quote

King's condition unstable after hemodialysis treatment: palace

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-king-idUSKCN1290R8

Quote:

Thailand's 88-year-old King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the world's longest reigning monarch, is in an unstable condition after receiving hemodialysis treatment, the palace said in a statement late on Sunday.

News about the king's health is closely monitored in Thailand, where King Bhumibol is widely revered, and the wording of palace statements on his health is intensely scrutinized.

It is unusual for the palace to state that the king's health is not stable. Statements on his health are usually issued after the monarch's condition shows improvement or when he is recovering from an illness.

Thailand's main stock index .SETI tumbled as much as 3.6 percent on Monday and the baht THB=TH fell to more than two-month lows, following the news.

Sunday's statement was the second health bulletin this month after the palace said on Oct. 1 that the king was recovering after a respiratory infection.

On Saturday, the king was given hemodialysis - a way of cleansing the blood of toxins, extra salts and fluids - which made his blood pressure drop occasionally, the palace said.

Doctors gave him some medicine and put him on a ventilator to bring his blood pressure back to normal, it said.

They continue to monitor his condition closely, the statement said.

King’s Health Weighs on Thai Baht as Stocks Tumble With Bonds

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-10/thailand-s-baht-retreats-with-bonds-as-king-s-condition-unstable

Quote:
Thailand’s baht headed for the longest stretch of losses this year as investors sold the nation’s assets after the royal palace said the king’s condition was unstable.

The benchmark SET Index of shares slumped the most in Asia and the yield on 10-year sovereign bonds climbed to a three-week high after the palace said Sunday doctors are closely monitoring Bhumibol Adulyadej’s condition.

“Thai King Bhumibol is in an unstable condition, according to a statement from the royal palace,” said Christopher Wong, a foreign-exchange strategist at Malayan Banking Bhd. in Singapore. “This could weigh on investor sentiment.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: