Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Political Situation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All hell is going to break loose when the King dies. Everybody who has had extensive stays in Thailand knows that.
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we'll see, but let's hope not.

Even Thais voice opinions about the probable successor, but maybe this person, free of the physical frailties the late king suffered for a decade, might do good.

We all knew this day would happen and how the Thai people felt about their king (who had actually seen and achieved a lot in his time), but I feel for the Thai friends/acquaintances I know who are genuinely upset right now.

RIP
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets all hope for peace, love and happiness in the "Land of Smiles"...
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are heating up quickly. Could be a good time to formulate an exit plan.

Activists defy junta's charges, announce 4-day election protest (Bangkok)

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... n-protest/

"Pro-democracy activists on Saturday pledged to stage the most prolonged public protest in recent years to demand an election by November."

Korat assembly pressures junta as legal experts question integrity of court rulings (Nakorn Ratchasima)

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30339175

"PRESSURE against the junta is gaining momentum as defiant activists yesterday held another pro-election assembly under close surveillance, while experts expressed concerns that the judicial system was being manipulated to support the military government."
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am completing the sale of my condo on Friday, and the UNafordable Care Act is doing more to keep me here, than the opposition are at sending me home, or elsewhere. Doesn't seem nearly as tense as 2010 but eventually, there will be a showdown. Seems like only a couple of years ago, Vietnam was all the rage in SE Asia. I have seen a number of them returning to LOS to take whatever pisspoor teaching job they can get. It is nothing to ignore, but not anywhere near as life changing as an earthquake, tsunami, or widespread flooding. It is quite difficult to find a good deal on real estate. Interest rates remain low...
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who know Thailand can switch localities to China. The money is more, with provided apartments. I think Thailand ESL teachers are being foolish, unless of course you have real estate in Thailand and have a MOD EDIT There is a load of localities close to Shanghai or Hong Kong, if a job is not to be found right in the inside of those two cities. Repeat after me "Thailand is for vacations" "Thailand is for vacations".
sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seems like only a couple of years ago, Vietnam was all the rage in SE Asia. I have seen a number of them returning to LOS to take whatever pisspoor teaching job they can get.

555! Yeah, that's the primary problem with formulating an exit plan from Thailand; where ya gonna go? In terms of the fun factor (sanook), dining and dating, the neighbors in the region can't really compare. They also have their own political and economic basket-case type problems. Vietnam is stable and rapidly developing and offers an easy lifestyle but mostly lacks the epicurean approach to life of the Thais.

Quote:
Those who know Thailand can switch localities to China. The money is more, with provided apartments.

That's definitely a good point but from what I hear China is not exactly relaxing. It would be interesting to hear about any additional positives.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One posting has been deleted. One posting now has a MOD EDIT. Future off-topic/derailing comments will result in sanctions for makers of same. Guaranteed.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As expected demonstration numbers are increasing.

Hundreds join anti-junta rally in Bangkok as calls for democracy grow

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hundreds-join-anti-junta-rally-bangkok-calls-democracy-153221422.html

Quote:
"In one of the largest showings in a recent string of protests, around 500 people turned up for a festive picnic-style rally held on a university field in Bangkok on Saturday."
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
As expected demonstration numbers are increasing.

Hundreds join anti-junta rally in Bangkok as calls for democracy grow

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hundreds-join-anti-junta-rally-bangkok-calls-democracy-153221422.html

Quote:
"In one of the largest showings in a recent string of protests, around 500 people turned up for a festive picnic-style rally held on a university field in Bangkok on Saturday."

The facts that pay has gotten less, immigration hassles more, workload more, and air quality worse, are a lot more vital to foreign teachers than the usual political circus. Maybe there will be a military takeover of the military government, but as long as people will work illegally, use fake credentials, and basically pay to work, things won't get better.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The facts that pay has gotten less, immigration hassles more, workload more, and air quality worse, are a lot more vital to foreign teachers than the usual political circus. Maybe there will be a military takeover of the military government, but as long as people will work illegally, use fake credentials, and basically pay to work, things won't get better.

Yes, that's a good point. Even with a stable government, Thailand is not really a great teaching destination.

Nonetheless, the weekend protests continue:

Pro-Democracy Marchers Demand Army Disband Junta

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/03/24/live-pro-democracy-protesters-face-off-with-police-in-bangkok/

Quote:
Protesters pushed past police Saturday evening on a march to army headquarters in Bangkok to demand the military dissolve the ruling junta and hold elections [in November].

Upon reaching their destination, protest leaders called on the military to drop its support for the junta, which calls itself the National Council for Peace and Order.

Speeches ended just after 8:30pm with a vow to protest again in May.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're will not be an election this year. Protests or not. The new wave of NNES are now offering white faces. It is win-win for the educrats as the parents only want the white face, and the students don't notice. Unfortunately, it is lose-lose for degreed, NES. The whole thing is starting to stink worse than usual. I have been taking assets out. 31? Should be 45.
JZer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the visa situation like in Thailand these days for an English teacher? I am talking if you have a B.A. and TEFL, proper credentials, native English speaker with an American passport. Pay is rather irrelevant to me.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
What is the visa situation like in Thailand these days for an English teacher? I am talking if you have a B.A. and TEFL, proper credentials, native English speaker with an American passport. Pay is rather irrelevant to me.

Fly in.
    Get a job.
    Convert your TR stamp to non-B at the local immigration office or do a quick visa run to get a non-B (depending on how efficient the school was at processing your paperwork.)
    Get your teachers waiver.
    Get your work permit.
    Extend your visa to match your work permit.
    Bob's yer uncle.

JZer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
JZer wrote:

Fly in.
    Get a job.
    Convert your TR stamp to non-B at the local immigration office or do a quick visa run to get a non-B (depending on how efficient the school was at processing your paperwork.)
    Get your teachers waiver.
    Get your work permit.
    Extend your visa to match your work permit.
    Bob's yer uncle.

Thank you, what is a TR stamp?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: