Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2-year ban for expats returns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleepwalker wrote:
I must have been lucky but all had CELTAs and good board work.

Interesting, none of ours had CELTAs, they had all been sponsored to do MA's in the UK or Oz. Limited practicum time but very good on theory.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The college I worked at made it a requirement that anyone teaching English (Omani or expat) had to complete a CELTA during the first year of employment. They could take a loan for the fees and either repay from salary or trade it off over service time. The CELTA students were allowed to leave early for classes and the rest of us took a few extra hours. It was a great system.

The Omanis with CELTAs were talented teachers to start with but really improved. None were eligible for Masters sponsorship because they were SQU graduates and the GPA wasn't as high as others who studied abroad or in private colleges. It was a sore point at the time (and probably still is).
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleepwalker wrote:
The college I worked at made it a requirement that anyone teaching English (Omani or expat) had to complete a CELTA during the first year of employment. They could take a loan for the fees and either repay from salary or trade it off over service time. The CELTA students were allowed to leave early for classes and the rest of us took a few extra hours. It was a great system.

Sounds brilliant!

The Omanis with CELTAs were talented teachers to start with but really improved. None were eligible for Masters sponsorship because they were SQU graduates and the GPA wasn't as high as others who studied abroad or in private colleges. It was a sore point at the time (and probably still is).

Mine are all CAS graduates, maybe the GPA's are lower at SQU because the grading is real? Certainly isn't in CAS.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by these teachers, the grading had been as rigorous as a decent university in the west. I've been at interviews with CAS graduates and I've never been impressed.

I work with four Omani teachers now - 3 have CELTAs and the other has a Teacher Training Certificate from Moray House, Edinburgh. All are SQU graduates and very good teachers.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleepwalker wrote:
I've been at interviews with CAS graduates and I've never been impressed..

I'm not surprised. I've tried to teach them for the past 3.5 years....
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have my sympathies.....
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think the CELTA course contains a component called 'how too engage the largely hostile, disaffected Omani youth' of the MOM colleges-think the instruction is aimed at teaching those who are inclined to actually learn. From an expat point of view, I think a week in an army boot camp would be more useful....
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
From an expat point of view, I think a week in an army boot camp would be more useful....

I agree although I don't think, based on my observations of the army here, that the Omani Army has quite grasped the idea of boot camp yet.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MoM has confirmed that the 2 year ban on ex-pat returns remains in place and came into force on July 1st. They also state that the number of ex-pats with be reduced by 25% from the current 44% to 33% of the workforce.

http://www.timesofoman.com/News/36527/Article-Ministry-of-Manpower-Plan-to-eliminate-hidden-ownership-in-Oman
omanoman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That article is more specifically referring to blue collar workers but the main point is regarding ownership rules. One of many changes needed in the regulation of businesses.

Still no clarification about what exactly the 2 year rule means for white-collar expats, like teachers and whether they are able to move to another job after completing the first contract.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
Still no clarification about what exactly the 2 year rule means for white-collar expats, like teachers and whether they are able to move to another job after completing the first contract.

Do try to keep up old boy, from today's ToM (my emphasis):

"Article 11 in the Passport and Residence Act in Oman states that the employment visa will not be issued to any foreigner who has previously worked in Oman but has not completed two years from the date of last departure," said a reliable ROP source.

"The law will be applicable to everyone," said Al Dhabari. However, he added that a no objection certificate (NOC) will not be necessary if the expat was to rejoin his previous employer."

The article goes on to state that:

"However, businesses in Oman will lose an expat visa from their company quota if they issue an NOC to employees who want to move to other jobs within the Sultanate, say officials.

As per the rules, the employers would have to choose between issuing the no objection certificate, and then being unable to hire another expat or retaining the employee and not issuing the NOC."

So no employer is gong to issue an NOC under those conditions.

In anticipation of the scurrilous claim that I'm making this up I attach the link:

http://www.timesofoman.com/News/35261/Article-Oman-expat-labour-law-No-plan-to-defer-two-year-ban-on-expatriate-return
omanoman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG, that is from the original story from JUNE 14 - the one that is still under discussion and we have had a thread on it here.

Your post earlier is referring to a different, recent newspaper story and so my comments were referring to that one.

Am I keeping up?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! Link within a link problem. Doesn't change the fact that the language was, and is, clear enough: it applies to EVERYONE.
omanoman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went over this when the original story came out. Since that time, there has been more discussion about what it actually means for employees who fulfill their contract and wish to change jobs.

The issue that the employer will be punished for allowing a visa transfer is still unclear from the ministry itself .

Like many decisions here, it wasn't fully thought through and the real life effects have yet to be seen. The big economic families who employ most of the expats will have their say and influence of course.

My bet is that if you do complete your contract, you will still be able to move to another job in Oman.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
We went over this when the original story came out. Since that time, there has been more discussion about what it actually means for employees who fulfill their contract and wish to change jobs.

The issue that the employer will be punished for allowing a visa transfer is still unclear from the ministry itself .

Like many decisions here, it wasn't fully thought through and the real life effects have yet to be seen. The big economic families who employ most of the expats will have their say and influence of course.

My bet is that if you do complete your contract, you will still be able to move to another job in Oman.
Conjecture on your part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: