Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK Masters degrees - are we home or international students?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miura Anjin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MdSmith wrote:
Interesting thread... I'm from the UK and was recently working abroad (outside EU) on a 3-year contract. Based on your experiences do you think I could qualify for 'Home/UK' fees? Or do they tend to apply more where people have been away on shorter contracts e.g. 1 year (and perhaps more chance to claim it was 'temporary')? Thanks for any help you can give.

Hi MdSmith,

It's really hard to know. I was on one-year contracts (but for five years) so I could claim they were temporary but I'm not sure how a three-year contract would be viewed. If you've been back to the UK for holidays or something, or if you still have bank accounts and family etc here then that might have some bearing on the home/international decision.

Though in my experience it seemed every university had a different interpretation of the rules so it may be that you get different answers from everywhere you apply to (if you apply to more than one).

Sorry I can't be more helpful, hopefully someone else can though.
MdSmith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Miura, thanks for that. I did indeed come back for holidays so I think I could have a chance... Cheers
Miura Anjin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MdSmith wrote:
Hi Miura, thanks for that. I did indeed come back for holidays so I think I could have a chance... Cheers

That's good. I think the forms ask you to put the dates that you were in the country, but again, that might be different depending on the university.

Let me know if there's anything else I might be able to help with.

Hope it all works out for you.
MdSmith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Miura

Thanks a lot for that. I was just wondering if it was possible to actually make the application for the MA from abroad? I.e. being 'ordinarily resident' whilst abroad (e.g. evidenced by regular trips back) and applying to study back in the UK.

I've been offered a job abroad whilst also considering to apply for an MA. So I might be abroad when they start asking questions about resident status.

Thanks for any further info/advice you can give on this matter.

Cheers
Miura Anjin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MdSmith wrote:
Hi Miura

Thanks a lot for that. I was just wondering if it was possible to actually make the application for the MA from abroad? I.e. being 'ordinarily resident' whilst abroad (e.g. evidenced by regular trips back) and applying to study back in the UK.

I've been offered a job abroad whilst also considering to apply for an MA. So I might be abroad when they start asking questions about resident status.

Thanks for any further info/advice you can give on this matter.

Cheers

Hi MdSmith,

Yeah, I made my applications while living and working abroad, so it's definitely possible.
MdSmith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for that. Were you required to go for an interview at all (or skype interview)? Cheers
Miura Anjin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MdSmith wrote:
Ok thanks for that. Were you required to go for an interview at all (or skype interview)? Cheers

No, none of them asked to interview me.
markcmc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back I returned to the UK to do an MEd (TESOL). I paid 'home' fees. The universities have the freedom to choose. Some told me I'd be classed as an international student, others were ok to accept me as a 'home student'.
MdSmith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cool, thanks
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not from the UK, rather the US. How would the university know if you've been abroad and for how long unless tyou admit to it? Even if the y look at work records and other sources, they have no way of knowing as long as you have a valid address and ID? Besides, the work record or lack of one Justinmeans you haven't worked recently. as much as these higher ed places charge, that phrase need to know basis applies.

Cheers,

Aaron
markcmc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fpshangzhou wrote:
How would the university know if you've been abroad and for how long unless tyou admit to it? Even if the y look at work records and other sources, they have no way of knowing as long as you have a valid address and ID?

Not everyone has a 'home' address or bank account. If you're transferring funds from abroad they may wonder. Also, if you've been away for 10 years or more, what will you say about your work record? Many universities require you to have 4 or 5 years experience teaching English.
Miura Anjin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcmc wrote:
fpshangzhou wrote:
How would the university know if you've been abroad and for how long unless tyou admit to it? Even if the y look at work records and other sources, they have no way of knowing as long as you have a valid address and ID?

Not everyone has a 'home' address or bank account. If you're transferring funds from abroad they may wonder. Also, if you've been away for 10 years or more, what will you say about your work record? Many universities require you to have 4 or 5 years experience teaching English.

That was what I found: the universities I looked at all stated that applicants needed some teaching experience, so in order to prove teaching experience one has to admit to living abroad. You could try and get round it but if they spot the discrepancy it's just creating unnecessary trouble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: