Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The JIS Debacle and Criminal Record Checks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting news/ development announced last 2 days in relation to the JIS situation.....the word 'international' must be dropped by all 'foreign' schools in Jakarta......this is according to Tempo, and Indonesian language lessons +lessons in Pancasila are to become compulsory for 'all' students. Only 3-4 years ago that the National + schools were all clamouring for accreditiation in order to be known as 'international' schools!
princesss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Interesting news/ development announced last 2 days in relation to the JIS situation.....the word 'international' must be dropped by all 'foreign' schools in Jakarta......this is according to Tempo, and Indonesian language lessons +lessons in Pancasila are to become compulsory for 'all' students. Only 3-4 years ago that the National + schools were all clamouring for accreditiation in order to be known as 'international' schools!

And the country wonders why foreign investors are wary. Ad hoc decisions made and changed with no consultation. Why are students being forced to study religion and Pancasila? Parents were sending their kids to these formerly international schools to get away from religious indoctrination and nationalism. Once again DIKNAS makes everything worse.

Oh and the latest from JIS is that the mother is now demanding, get this, $125 million in damages. The lawyer is going after the group which owns the cleaning contractor company, which just so happens to include Goldman Sachs. Tell me this isn't turning into a sordid treasure hunt. The case is now so big Wall Street is taking note. The story has been featured in every edition of the Wall Street Journal. I guess Goldman Sachs are not impressed.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014/06/24/jis-teachers-brought-questioning.html

This case has taken a new disturbing turn. 3 teachers from the school have also been accused of assaulting the same boy in a separate incident to the 6 janitors. Mind you, this is now 3 months after the first allegations were made, and oddly the mother and boy were tagged along on a night raid to "gather evidence". Also the alleged assault is claimed to have taken place in a glass-walled office in the school lobby during school hours, which hardly seems plausible. This whole scenario is seeming more and more far-fetched. Many people in Jakarta believe that the child is being coached and fresh allegations are being made to help strengthen the legal case against JIS.

In terms of the impact on teachers, you can already see job ads asking for criminal record checks. There was one in Lombok the other day and it demanded "criminal clearance". The ripples of this case are being felt across the whole industry.
princesss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said a few days ago, this is a treasure hunt now. Do I believe that the Canadian female school principal was filming a sexual assault by two of her teachers on video camera? No. Do I believe that this child is being exploited by his mother? Without a doubt. After this new set of "memories" was uncovered she upped the compensation claim by ten times to $125 million. And the police in Indonesia ... well the locals are terrified of them for a very good reason. If you know about law enforcement in Indonesia, you know it is very often for sale. This case is becoming a travesty. Imagine how these teachers feel at the moment and all of it based on increasingly implausible claims.
jaybet3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Police Clearance Check Reply with quote

I just finished getting an SKCK (Indonesian Police Criminal Check) which was required for a job in Malaysia. Since I wasn't working at the time and was being sponsored by my Indonesian wife on a Social Visa (SOSBUD), getting the SKCK was a classic example of the inefficiency of processing any kind of documents in this country.

My wife and I went to 5 different government offices which took 8 visits and the final visit to Jakarta which was the easiest of the entire process which I found to be astonishing. I had to get reference letters from my wife's home even though we don't actually live there, but most paperwork is based on the family card. How in the world would any of these small town "police officials" know if I had a criminal background since I've never even lived in that area?

The idea of checking backgrounds is a good thing if it is effective, but based on what I just experienced there's no real investigation into my background. This country has no nationwide database to verify crimes in other parts of the country. So, again. Like most requests for documents in this country, it's a joke which ended up costing me millions of rupiah for transport, hotels and "tea" money which in the end proved useless.

So, as I've said before, Indonesia keeps raising the bar on the requirements of teachers without increasing compensation.

I'm looking forward to a change and will be posting on the Malaysia board my experiences. From what my friends on the ground there have already told me that it is a better lifestyle than Indo. I hope so.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The witch hunt is well and truly underway.....several good friends with many years of teaching experience have left the country, alongside myself, during the last couple of months.I left for the middle east last summer. Going back to the JIS case-as already pointed out this whole issue of abuse within the school has gone from a plausible, real situation into the realm of absolute exploitative fantasy now-and a very sick fantasy at that. Sadly, everything seems to come down to money and graft in Indonesia, the need for teachers to have a criminal clearance check will become yet another money making opportunity for both government workers and the agents that process the papework. Ultimately, 'raising the bar' in Indonesia is simply a means of raising money for some people....
princesss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
The witch hunt is well and truly underway.....several good friends with many years of teaching experience have left the country, alongside myself, during the last couple of months.I left for the middle east last summer. Going back to the JIS case-as already pointed out this whole issue of abuse within the school has gone from a plausible, real situation into the realm of absolute exploitative fantasy now-and a very sick fantasy at that. Sadly, everything seems to come down to money and graft in Indonesia, the need for teachers to have a criminal clearance check will become yet another money making opportunity for both government workers and the agents that process the papework. Ultimately, 'raising the bar' in Indonesia is simply a means of raising money for some people....

The mother is alleging that there were 9 different pedophiles active at JIS at the same time including the female school principal (very convenient for her $125 million lawsuit that detail.) Not only that but all 9 picked on her child in particular for some reason. There are far fetched attempts to connect all the dots by alleging that the janitors, teachers and principal were all somehow "conspiring together ". Interesting to see that the second "victim" was found not to have been interfered with after all when he was examined in Singapore. But this mother is now seeking "alternative opinions" at Jakarta hospitals. One wonders how much it'll cost to get the answer she wants.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

princesss wrote:
Tazz wrote:

The mother is alleging that there were 9 different pedophiles active at JIS at the same time including the female school prin