Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How's the scene in Indonesia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: How's the scene in Indonesia? Reply with quote

Hey all, I've been teaching in Vietnam for the last few years and have loved it, but I recently have found myself in the position that moving on might be preferable to staying. I'm an experienced and qualified teacher with my degree in TESOL and nearly 6 years of teaching experience, 3 of which were in Vietnam.

So I had a few questions about Indonesia. Keep in mind that I'm not set on coming there just yet, really all of SE Asia is open to me right now, and I'm just trying to make the best choice.

1. How easy is it for a newbie to the country to get a job outside Jakarta that pays well enough to live comfortably and have an enjoyable lifestyle?

2. What are the attitudes towards foreigners like there? Do teachers have local friends or do they mostly stick to hanging out with other foreigners? What's the dating scene like? I know Indonesia is predominantly Muslim, but does that interfere in meeting people and dating?

3. What's the average salary compared to cost of living there? I don't have any expenses or bills to pay, so I don't care if the salary is $1,000 USD a month if the cost of living is below that. Where I'm living in Vietnam, you can live comfortably if not extravagantly off of $1000 per month.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just come to Indonesia and and check it out first then see if you like it or not? Money wise expect to earn about the same as in Thailand...about US1,000/Month + few benefits if your lucky. Regarding dating checkout the Bali scene...they are Hindus...dating Muslim women is frowned upon and can get you in a lot of trouble...unless you convert and marry one! Good luck!
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Bali for vacation. It's quite nice, but I got the feeling that there wasnt much in the way of EFL jobs there. I'm also hoping to find something a bit better than your average EF chains. Is there any work in Yogyakarta?
Tudor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dating Muslim women is frowned upon and can get you in a lot of trouble...unless you convert and marry one!

In somewhere like Aceh maybe, but in big cities like Jakarta and Surabaya many young Muslim women are happy to date western guys. Sure, some will hope it'll lead to marriage while others just want to have a bit of fun. What's more, if you're expecting all of these women to be walking around covered head-to-toe you'll be in for a (pleasant) surprise.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say the relaxed and easy dating scene is one major reason why some male expats (of either sexuality) stay so long in places like Jakarta and why - in my experience - the vast majority of English teachers are male. Unlike somewhere like Thailand, foreigners are still somewhat of a rarity in Indonesia (outside Bali) and, in some circles, there seems to be considerable kudos attached to dating a foreigner.

As for jobs, they're certainly out there (not a great deal in Jogja or Bali) but the rupiah is very low at present so salaries in USD terms have stagnated if not declined over the last few years and there are also a number of issues with procuring work visas which have been discussed elsewhere on here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: