Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work in public schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valery92

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Work in public schools Reply with quote

Does anyone know recruiters or companies that hire teachers to work in public schools around in Indonesia, in cities like Yogyakarta, Bandung, Malang...

The internet search hasn't been much help, so any suggestions or contact details would be a great help!

I have already been in touch with Indogro Institute, but they only have Jakarta locations
Alphid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe there is any legal avenue at the moment, thought there are plenty of shysters who will farm you out to schools on a business visa. However, to work in a formal (or informal) classroom legally you require authorization from the ministry of education.
SiThep

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indonesia has pockets of wealth but the average public school is very underfunded and under-resourced. Salaries are dreadful. If you really want to make a difference, consider a volunteer job. If you want reasonable teaching conditions and pay, look at the private sector.
jaybet3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can avoid Indonesia and work in China where there are a ton of jobs that pay better than most gigs in Indonesia.

I have lived in Indonesia for nearly 10 years and have seen the job market shrink and salaries remain stagnant. Work visas are as rare as Unicorns.

China makes you do more paperwork and other nonsense, but they are always looking for teachers.

So, I work in China and spend my winter and summer holidays in Indonesia.
markustm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Better options elsewhere Reply with quote

I agree. Indonesia was in its heyday for work and opportunities in the mid-1990s, since that period the expatriate community has declined considerably and diversified.

This with higher living costs, stagnant salaries and the slow destruction of the natural environment has meant that even International tourism is in decline, unless you count local tourism, which is on the increase. Foreigners like many wealthier Indonesians simply prefer other countries, which are more greener, less restricted and more hospitable nowadays.

Its hard to be optimistic about Indonesia, especially if you are based in a more conservative area, and there are a lot of reasons why other countries, offer better options and a more interesting life experience.

Unless this changes, Indonesia is only an option when you are here for very specific reasons- marriage, research, or business.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: