Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching at English Time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
decoartsdeb

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Teaching at English Time Reply with quote

I am going to be teaching at English Time in Bursa and I have some questions related to the classroom.

1. Do teachers have access to printers at the school that can be used for printing supplemental teaching materials for class?

2. Do teachers have access to the internet at the school to use for researching teaching materials for the classroom?

3. How much autonomy do teachers have in the classroom?

4. What supplies do teachers have access to for teaching and in the classroom?

5. Are classrooms equipped with smart boards or LED equipment for powerpoint presentations?

6. What is the name of the book used in the classroom? I know that English Time has their own book and curriculum but I was hoping to get a look at the book so that I could begin preparing lesson plans.

If you have any other constructive advice regarding teaching it would be appreciated!
crewmeal1

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you not think of asking these questions at interview?
Shalana

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with crew. These are questions you should feel comfortable asking your new boss. If you aren't comfortable asking these questions and/or you feel you won't get satisfactory answers then maybe it's not the place you should work. I don't know anything about ET in Bursa, but did work at an Istanbul branch back in 2007. We were allowed to use supplemental materials and make photo copies. We only had white boards to use back then.
cartago

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English Time has had some pretty bad reviews hasn't it? Not sure if that applies to all branches.
Shalana

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English Time seems to go through bad/good review cycles. When I was there, whether your experience was bad or good largely depended on which branch you worked at, but that was 7 years ago. A lot can change in that amount of time.
decoartsdeb

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shalana, for answering some of my questions. It is appreciated! I will not meet or communicate with my direct boss until I arrive in Bursa.

I am working with an English Time administrator in Istanbul. I have asked about the book and teacher policies but the answers were vague and not helpful.

From all of the forums I have read I believed I could find teachers who could answer my questions more satisfactorily.
Shalana

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will ask around to see if anyone I know works at ET in Bursa and PM you if I get any info. Good luck.
decoartsdeb

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

decoartsdeb wrote:
Thanks Shalana, for answering some of my questions. It is appreciated! I will not meet or communicate with my direct boss until I arrive in Bursa.

I am working with an English Time administrator in Istanbul. I have asked about the book and teacher policies but the answers were vague and not helpful.

From all of the forums I have read I believed I could find teachers who could answer my questions more satisfactorily.

If the people who are hiring you can't answer these questions that alone should tell you something.

However, if they told you the truth, you might never accept the job.

There are varying degrees of crap depending on which branch you're at.
I know nothing of the Bursa branch but hopefully it will last longer than the ones in Toronto and Japan.

Dude
svenhassel

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English Time Istanbul have had one of the worst reputations for years, former teachers have written reams about negative experiences there, see the Istanbul blacklist if you haven't already. As Bursa is very close I would imagine they have equally low standards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: