Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speaking Arabic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karitos

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Speaking Arabic Reply with quote

Would any preference be given to native English speakers that also speak Arabic? Obviously, one would have to be qualified for the job, but all things being equal, does one who speaks Arabic have a leg up? Or is it that essentially an irrelevant consideration for employers in Saudi?
cmp45

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joelkaki wrote:
Would any preference be given to native English speakers that also speak Arabic? Obviously, one would have to be qualified for the job, but all things being equal, does one who speaks Arabic have a leg up? Or is it that essentially an irrelevant consideration for employers in Saudi?

Kudos for having knowledge of the Arabic language; however you are being hired for your expertise in English teaching so all things being equal, I doubt it will give you much advantage over those with no Arabic language skills. It can help when dealing with students.

Knowledge of Arabic will certainly help when socializing with the locals.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be assumed that you have learned it for religious purposes.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking Arabic Reply with quote

joelkaki wrote:
Would any preference be given to native English speakers that also speak Arabic? Obviously, one would have to be qualified for the job, but all things being equal, does one who speaks Arabic have a leg up?

Only if it's stated in the job ad as a requirement, which is very uncommon.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmp45 wrote:
It can help when dealing with students.

...and being handed troublesome classes of dropouts who have made no progress and refuse to communicate in anything except Arabic.

Enjoy Very Happy
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has been my experience - especially in Qatar. "You speak Arabic. You can teach the Beginners". A class composed of 50 year-olds who had worked for Qatar Petroleum for 10+ years and managed to acquire zero English in that time
cmp45

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
That has been my experience - especially in Qatar. "You speak Arabic. You can teach the Beginners". A class composed of 50 year-olds who had worked for Qatar Petroleum for 10+ years and managed to acquire zero English in that time

I suppose that could be said of a lot of expatriates that have worked 10+ years in KSA and never learn much Arabic... But...I digress.

You could still be stuck with the false beginners or 'slow' group without any Arabic ... Laughing
Karitos

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I gather that it would be helpful for living there, but not necessarily in gaining employment. Appreciate the answers.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, by using Arabic in class, you're only reinforcing (and acknowledging) the ineffective way they were taught English during their elementary and secondary school years.

When I taught in KSA, a sharp student from one of my previous classes whose English was quite good, once complained to me that her current teacher kept using Arabic to explain grammar points. The student said it was frustrating because the teacher, a Saudi, was speaking in Arabic while the students were trying to follow along with the English explanations in their books. The student said it hindered her full understanding of the grammar because 1) she had to grapple with two languages at the same time, and 2) she didn't trust the teacher's explanation in Arabic---that the teacher used Arabic to mask her own lack of understanding of the grammar. Anyway, I encouraged her to speak with the vice dean, and later that week, we all received a very stern email about using Arabic in class.
mashkif

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Plus, by using Arabic in class, you're only reinforcing (and acknowledging) the ineffective way they were taught English during their elementary and secondary school years.

When I taught in KSA, a sharp student from one of my previous classes whose English was quite good, once complained to me that her current teacher kept using Arabic to explain grammar points. The student said it was frustrating because the teacher, a Saudi, was speaking in Arabic while the students were trying to follow along with the English explanations in their books. The student said it hindered her full understanding of the grammar because 1) she had to grapple with two languages at the same time, and 2) she didn't trust the teacher's explanation in Arabic---that the teacher used Arabic to mask her own lack of understanding of the grammar. Anyway, I encouraged her to speak with the vice dean, and later that week, we all received a very stern email about using Arabic in class.

At the same time, by encouraging her to speak to a higher-up, you reinforced and acknowledged one aspect of the 5aleeji hallowed culture, which I viscerally detest: Going behind a person's back to resolve an issue with that person. It is cheap, sly, cowardly, and dishonest.

You should have told the student to grow a pair and speak to the instructor concerned. You could maybe have given her a few pointers on how to do that tactfully and effectively.

Luckily, I now work at an institution where students who visit anyone from the Head upward to discuss (let alone complain) about a faculty member are first asked the simple question: "Did you speak to the faculty concerned?" If the answer is negative, the student is shown the door.

The previous place I was at, the so-called students were walking in and out of the (Egyptian) head of department's, (Tunisian) president's, and (Kuwaiti) board chairman's office all days long to *beep* about faculty. The Head would then summon the faculty to "explore" the incident. The second time it happened I told her to shove it and not to call me with such nonsense again unless the student had spoken to me previously. Never happened again, but I'm surprised I lasted three years at that joint.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mashkif wrote:
At the same time, by encouraging her to speak to a higher-up, you reinforced and acknowledged one aspect of the 5aleeji hallowed culture, which I viscerally detest: Going behind a person's back to resolve an issue with that person. It is cheap, sly, cowardly, and dishonest.

You should have told the student to grow a pair and speak to the instructor concerned. You could maybe have given her a few pointers on how to do that tactfully and effectively.

Pure conjecture on your part given you know nothing of the details nor of the campus culture. It was resolved appropriately. My point was that using Arabic to explain English grammar can confuse students or cause them to mistrust the explanation even though the teacher's intentions may be well meaning.
cmp45

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes whole heartedly agree with the English only policy in the classroom. however, at the very least, you will be able to understand what they are saying if they do speak Arabic as is the case when some of them confer with each other in class. It's a hard habit to break them of as they struggle with the English. Obviously common sense should prevail and not become manipulated by the students; on the other hand some teachers may not honor the English only policy if their first language is Arabic...I can see how a teacher might be tempted to speak Arabic, but is best avoided when teaching English.
Karitos

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had enough frustrations with Arabic teachers using English in the classroom that I wouldn't want to use Arabic in the English classroom unless absolutely necessary. However, it can be useful to know what they're saying should they not be speaking in English.

I would think in dealing with Arabic-speaking colleagues and administration it could perhaps be useful, as well as dealing with students after class, etc, based on what people here are saying.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joelkaki wrote:
I would think in dealing with Arabic-speaking colleagues and administration it could perhaps be useful, as well as dealing with students after class, etc, based on what people here are saying.

You'll find your colleagues won't all speak Arabic anyway. For example, I worked alongside Afghans, Turks, South Africans, Pakistanis, Malaysians, etc. As for dealing with students after class, seriously, you need to stay in English-only mode.

You didn't mention your qualifications, but do you have teaching experience or are you looking for your first teaching job?
Karitos

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

You'll find your colleagues won't all speak Arabic anyway. For example, I worked alongside Afghans, Turks, South Africans, Pakistanis, Malaysians, etc. As for dealing with students after class, seriously, you need to stay in English-only mode.

You didn't mention your qualifications, but do you have teaching experience or are you looking for your first teaching job?

Thanks for your input.

I do not yet have the qualifications for getting a job, but am hoping to gain them starting very soon. I do have teaching experience, but at the middle school/high school level in the US, and I also have volunteer TESOL experience in the Middle East, but not the type of full-time, paid experience that seems to be required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: