Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offer from Moscow school - concerns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Offer from Moscow school - concerns Reply with quote

Hi there,

I apologize if this is not the correct forum for my topic, since it's more related to the location than to teaching. I've had an offer from one of the Moscow McSchools for a 9-month contract starting a month from now. I have to decide very soon and I have a few concerns, the main one being that I'm gay (male), and … well yeah, Russia isn't the most gay-friendly place and it seems to be getting worse. I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone who's there. I do know some Russian so that's a plus, and it's the only offer I've received so far.
The other thing is that I want to bring my cat, and pets are not allowed in the provided accommodation. They can offer 10500 per month for teachers to find their own, but that seems awfully low from what I have read on this forum. And I don't know where to start - are there any good websites for people looking for a flat share in Moscow in English or Russian?

Thanks!
teacher X

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go running around the streets in leather hot pants screaming out loud that you're gay and you should be alright.
I know a couple of gay teachers here and they haven't voiced any problems. They're obviously gay (at least to me), but Russians don't seem able to pick up on it. Perhaps the 'gay' intonation in the voice is lost in translation and the mannerisms are just not noticeable to the average Russian. Hopefully that makes sense.

I've read that there are a couple of gay bars in Moscow too, although I've never seen them myself, so I can't verify that they are real.

10,500 rubles to find your own apartment? That's horrendously low.
My McSkool offers 18,000 (which isn't great, but it can certainly rent you a room). But for 10k I would expect you to have to share a room with someone else, which I'm sure is not something you'd want to do.

Don't forget that the startup cash for an apartment can be very high, including a month up front, a month's rent as a deposit and agency fees, which usually also amount to a month's rent. You'd be looking at around $1500 money upfront (that's a lower estimate, but I'm sure the other posters here can correct me on this)

As for flatshares, I know that there are a few, but I don't know any off the top of my head. If nobody else here can provide you with the info I'll ask some of my friends.

I'd just leave the cat at home.
aris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Teacher X. A couple of unconfirmed gay bars in a city of 10 million! Doesn't sound very promising... Anyway, my main objective right now is getting some teaching experience, although having a life wouldn't be bad either. Smile Anyone that has some more info on this coming from personal experience but is reluctant to say anything here is welcome to pm me.
On the flat issue. Yeah, 10,500 will hardly get me anything. The funny thing is their website states $400 for accommodation, but my offer only 10500, I wonder why the discrepancy. If you can get any info from your friends re. flatshares it will be very welcome.
LAR1SSA

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Offer from Moscow school - concerns Reply with quote

aris wrote:
Hi there,

I apologize if this is not the correct forum for my topic, since it's more related to the location than to teaching. I've had an offer from one of the Moscow McSchools for a 9-month contract starting a month from now. I have to decide very soon and I have a few concerns, the main one being that I'm gay (male), and … well yeah, Russia isn't the most gay-friendly place and it seems to be getting worse. I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone who's there. I do know some Russian so that's a plus, and it's the only offer I've received so far.
The other thing is that I want to bring my cat, and pets are not allowed in the provided accommodation. They can offer 10500 per month for teachers to find their own, but that seems awfully low from what I have read on this forum. And I don't know where to start - are there any good websites for people looking for a flat share in Moscow in English or Russian?

Thanks!

I've known some gay guys that have lived around these parts. You will be fine as the other poster said, if you don't wear leather chaps and hot pants. There are some understand hipster/artist scenes here that are very gay friendly, and a few artist bars. Moscow is HUGE so there are alllll kinds of people here Smile
aris

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's very encouraging! I'll leave my chaps at home, then…
RussianWinter

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

expat.ru is a good bet for finding a flat. When are you arriving? I know several people who are leaving in the next month.
aris

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In two weeks. Thanks for the offer to help! Actually I've been allowed to stay at the accommodation provided by my school, with the cat… But I'll be in touch if it turns out to be too far away or something, or if my future flatmate and the cat don't get along. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: