Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

istanbul

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drumalee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: istanbul Reply with quote

I`m wondering what an average salary is ( per month ) for an english teacher in Turkey, especially Istanbul. Also is accommodation/airfare usually included? I`m teaching in Korea at the moment where it easy to save money but the lifestyle leaves a lot to be desired. A fresh challenge is needed! Thanks for any replies.
Stephen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaries in Turkey are no simple matter. It is important to look not only at what your paid, but how your paid. Inflation is rampant, so hard currency holds it value better than lira. If you are being paid in lira, it should be repegged to hard currency (usually this will be the US dollar) at regular intervals. Every 3 months is much better than every 6. When I was there, pre-financial crisis, salaries ranged US$600 to US$1500, perhaps US$900 to US$1000 was about average, but things MAY have changed a lot as the economy has changed a lot since then. Also look at what the housing arrangements are.
martha oral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen is right about the salary range and the pegging to hard currancy. Reciently it has gone to Euros instead of USD in a lot of schools. Your benefits package depends on the instution...most "good" places pay your air fare and 90% pay loging. The place you work will depend on your qualifications. The better qualified you are Arrow the better the institution Arrow the better the pay and benes. ,
Cheers
Martha
martha oral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One interesting aside to the pegging issue. My salary actually went DOWN in January when they adjusted it. Why? I am pegged to the USD! and it is going down against the Lira! Amazing isn't it. Thanks George!
M Confused
boxcarwilly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Istanbul Reply with quote

Remember, we have some room to negociate our contracts. If money is more important than time, agreeing to work more hours in return for salary, accomodation and airfare concessions is common. For Istanbul, 1,000 USD salary/month and the school paying for accomodation and airfare can be creatively bargined.
comenius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Good deal... Reply with quote

Wow, I must have been doing pretty well then. I was working at ATA College (a private high school that taught most of its curiculum in English located in the Balmuncu district in Istanbul) and earned $2300 cash plus housing, insurance, RT airfare and Turkish lessons. Granted I had a M.A. in T.E.S.O.L., as did the other teachers there. Not sure if that factored in. I also did a lot of computer work for them as well, so it's possible that I was getting paid more than just a straight EFL teacher. I never really investigated private schools, or private lessons, so I have no clue what they would pay.

I was lucky to be paid in dollars as the time I was there (1997-1998) the lira was dropping like a stone day after day. I remember only changing a weeks worth of money at a time so as not to lose too much buying power.

I still remember the apartment I had, with a view of the Bosphorous. I had my kitchen table next to a big window, and remember eating breakfast and dinner watching the boats go back and forth against the backdrop of the minarets. It was incredible beautiful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: