Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Academy of New York Warsaw
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wojbrian

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weel paid? Very Happy
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wojbrian wrote:
Weel paid? Very Happy

Watch it, he's a highly-trained professional.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

Oh spank me! The typo police are out.

Last edited by dragonpiwo on Sun May 18, 2014 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
wojbrian

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought it was funny!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: actually..... Reply with quote

Actually, the longer I've been teaching the worse my spelling seems to have become. I don't know whether it's because I've been conditioned by my students' common mistakes or because I've become lazy and use spell checker tools etc or because the brain rots with age. A couple of my colleegz seem to be experiencing the same fenomenon. Smile
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Are you on meds or summit?

You seem to reference medication a lot. Any particular reason?

Quote:
I 'made it' in Poland. Aside from being a key writer for a national magazine, being a Cambridge Examiner, teaching at UAM and doing a lot of recording/TV recording work simultaneously, I also had a kid then. I made more then, than you make now, so stop blowing smoke up your own hole. Been there, done it and bought the t-shirt. I made a choice and it's worked out well for me.

So what happened? Why would someone give up such positions for teaching in a dangerous sandpit? Why would they even go back after having to be evacuated? It just doesn't add up - why would someone leave the comfort of a job at UAM along with all the add-ons for living in a dangerous and thoroughly rubbish sandpit?

Quote:
Much more of a future Delph? I've got a full-time, weel paid job and have been here since 2004. I think that's pretty stable myself. What's more it's till I'm 65+ should I choose not to come and work in Poland again.

Stable? You were already evacuated once in an emergency, and that part of the world isn't exactly the most stable. Don't try and fool us Smile

Quote:
Go Google the top rooms in the Intercon and get back to me. Better still, go there. Since one of my missus' closest friends virtually runs the place, I'm sure we didn't actually get ripped off but you know better of course.

Practically runs the place and yet couldn't get you a better deal than 600zl a night? Like I said - saw you coming. People living in Poland soon learn to take advantage when a big mouth with a big wallet turns up regardless of their nationality.

Quote:
Like you know better about racist Polish banking policies. The Poles I actually work with in the same office building have 'nay bother' with Visa Cards. Same contract, they earn less and have the same tax arrangements. We've spoken at length.

I've got a credit card. No problem, but then again, I have umowa o prace bez terminowo in a reliable, stable job. Not difficult to get, and I didn't notice anything "racist" in their policies. Perhaps they simply didn't want to give you one because of your attitude?

Quote:
Instability? Been here since 2004.

Blimey. 10 years in a desert prison would drive anyone nuts.

Quote:
Own a flat and a half with no mortgage. Buying the next one in the very near future. My son also has a flat and he's 15. And stop banging on about 500Zl nights because that isn't even a night out. %,000Zl, now that's a night out.

How many of those flats did you actually buy, and how many were left to your son because of Babcia / left to your fianc�e?
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, just for giggles :

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/libya

Last night while you were sleeping in your sandpit, I was out enjoying Noc Muzeów and having interesting discussions with archival experts about the Communist record keeping system. You might earn much more, but at the end of the day, you're far worse for it.
Sgt Bilko

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonpiwo, I don't think the problem is that you have expensive tastes, it's just that you seem to believe that anyone enquiring about working in Poland is going to have the same tastes and cost of living as you. The fact is that they aren't so, if someone asks about working in Warsaw, the cost of a posh hotel and restaurant is pretty irrelavent.

If someone wants to earn a good salary, they'll look at vacancies in Saudi or elsewhere in the Middle East. And, if that's what they want, good luck to them. If they decide to come to Poland to teach, they probably know that they won't be earning a fortune so, more useful would be to tell them where they could eat well on their salary. I wouldn't mind knowing myself. Whenever we go to Warsaw (not often), we always eat at Svejk, which we love but it would be nice to know of some alternatives I guess.
sparks

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If someone wants to earn a good salary, they'll look at vacancies in Saudi or elsewhere in the Middle East. And, if that's what they want, good luck to them. If they decide to come to Poland to teach, they probably know that they won't be earning a fortune so, more useful would be to tell them where they could eat well on their salary. I wouldn't mind knowing myself. Whenever we go to Warsaw (not often), we always eat at Svejk, which we love but it would be nice to know of some alternatives I gues

Yep. Notice the OPer hasn't been back. Good work guys. I think you should meet in person and settle it like men Smile
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt Bilko wrote:
Dragonpiwo, I don't think the problem is that you have expensive tastes, it's just that you seem to believe that anyone enquiring about working in Poland is going to have the same tastes and cost of living as you. The fact is that they aren't so, if someone asks about working in Warsaw, the cost of a posh hotel and restaurant is pretty irrelavent.

Exactly. It doesn't make any sense to compare someone spending 19 days every 9 weeks in Poland (and who presumably has zero costs in the sandpit) to someone living full time here.

Quote:
If they decide to come to Poland to teach, they probably know that they won't be earning a fortune so, more useful would be to tell them where they could eat well on their salary. I wouldn't mind knowing myself. Whenever we go to Warsaw (not often), we always eat at Svejk, which we love but it would be nice to know of some alternatives I guess.

I wouldn't mind knowing as well, especially about Vietnamese places. I know one little excellent Vietnamese place near the SGGW campus, but somewhere closer to Centrum would be nice to know about.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
Yep. Notice the OPer hasn't been back. Good work guys. I think you should meet in person and settle it like men Smile

Oh come on. There's light entertainment on a rubbish Sunday afternoon, and then there's actually having to listen to this nonsense about money!
sparks

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Dzonka on ul. Hoza, I think they have Vietnamese food.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I left to go direct-hire, married status at Qatar Petroleum. Qatar was superb. At the time I was just bored and wanted a change.

And Delph, like everything else you know nothing bout my contract here. Check out your reading skills too as we had a non-standard room Wink

I like the idea of meeting this guy.
sparks

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the viciousness of the attacks i.e. calling someone a liar who lives in a sandpit deserves a face-to-face confrontation. I thought that you two knew one another in Poznan. Really, next time you're both in town, come out from behind the computer screen and confront your foe Smile
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
I think the viciousness of the attacks i.e. calling someone a liar who lives in a sandpit deserves a face-to-face confrontation. I thought that you two knew one another in Poznan. Really, next time you're both in town, come out from behind the computer screen and confront your foe Smile

Would need to be on neutral ground though, I don't like drinking Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: