Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Academy of New York Warsaw
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparks

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have the advantage of balance. The Dragon may be full of expensive food and wine, I would aim for the solar plexus Smile
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
You'll have the advantage of balance. The Dragon may be full of expensive food and wine, I would aim for the solar plexus Smile

Wouldn't want to cause a mess, though Wink

But returning to the original topic - does anyone know of this Academy of New York? It's not a name familiar to me...
wojbrian

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would rather be underpaid then live in an overheated sandbox.

I don't like hot weather though!
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, this section is about working in Poland.

One thing I won't miss about Poland is this sort of crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Once again, this section is about working in Poland.

One thing I won't miss about Poland is this sort of crap.

It is certainly a bad trait of the Poles to spend a ridiculous amount of money on showing off. Witness the amount of idiots that sit around drinking Johnnie Walker for instance Wink
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

It's definitely a snob culture. Poles with money really do act haughtily. No class at all. Generally speaking, Poles also love 'keeping up appearances'. It's what always happens in get-rich-quick cultures. It's the new money versus old money conundrum.
aaaronr

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for some info. No accommodation provided. I live off less than $2000/month in the U.S.
MannaFromKevin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this thread pretty much devolved into a bout of petty bickering.

Anyone actually have any insights they can provide specific to Academy of New York? I've just applied for a job with them, so I too am very interested in what helpful information anyone might be able to share.
ecocks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently nobody knows anything specific about the school. A couple of people (Master Shake for example) had some good general comments about working in Warsaw.

For some, it's all about the money and everything elss be damned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MannaFromKevin wrote:
So this thread pretty much devolved into a bout of petty bickering.

Anyone actually have any insights they can provide specific to Academy of New York? I've just applied for a job with them, so I too am very interested in what helpful information anyone might be able to share.
I know a few people who work/worked for this outfit and I went for a job interview with A.N.Y. a few years ago.

People have mixed things to say about this school. Some of the more charismatic, popular teachers managed to get loads of teaching hours while the less popular teachers had their hours cut, even though they all were promised a set number of hours per semester. They're definitely more about entertaining the students than sound teaching practice. Lots of schools in Warsaw are like this.

The school is very posh looking. It's up in a skyscraper in the middle of the center with posters of the NYC skyline and Sinatra music playing in the background. Definitely attractive to snobs and the image-conscious.

I'd be careful about taking work from ANY. If they decide you're not their flavor of the month, you may well find yourself short of hours and cash in a hurry.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
I'd be careful about taking work from ANY. If they decide you're not their flavor of the month, you may well find yourself short of hours and cash in a hurry.

I remember working for one school that worked in a similar way. What I did was ask them to write into the contract that I would be paid for x hours by the end of the year and that any hours not paid had to paid at the end of the year regardless.
MannaFromKevin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shake and delph!
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
Master Shake wrote:

I remember working for one school that worked in a similar way. What I did was ask them to write into the contract that I would be paid for x hours by the end of the year and that any hours not paid had to paid at the end of the year regardless.
Sound advice. I was on a contract like that when I worked for ELS Bell.

I'd be surprised if too many schools in Warsaw would agree to that kind of contract. And even if they did agree, a non-Polish speaking foreigner in Poland is probably not going to be able to do much legally if the school doesn't pay at the end of the contract. Especially considering that the teacher will likely have moved on to another country.

It's definitely worth doing your research on any (or ANY) school before you take a job.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
]Sound advice. I was on a contract like that when I worked for ELS Bell.

I'd be surprised if too many schools in Warsaw would agree to that kind of contract. And even if they did agree, a non-Polish speaking foreigner in Poland is probably not going to be able to do much legally if the school doesn't pay at the end of the contract. Especially considering that the teacher will likely have moved on to another country.

It's definitely worth doing your research on any (or ANY) school before you take a job.

I think it's a good measure of a school's intentions. If they refuse point blank to even consider such a deal (even on the basis of guaranteeing half the lessons), then it's a good sign that they have no intention of honouring their promise.

I'd also be surprised if many schools would agree to it, but if they're promising x hours - then there should be no problem for them to agree it. Of course, if you're paid a set salary, then there's no reason to worry. But if a school is saying "we guarantee 25 hours a week" and then won't sign it into a contract, then you know where to go.

Absolutely though, it's worth investigating any school thoroughly. A wise idea is to get a Polish speaking friend to call the school enquiring about classes - the attitude of the person on the phone usually tells you the whole story.
dynow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
sparks wrote:
I think the viciousness of the attacks i.e. calling someone a liar who lives in a sandpit deserves a face-to-face confrontation. I thought that you two knew one another in Poznan. Really, next time you're both in town, come out from behind the computer screen and confront your foe Smile

Would need to be on neutral ground though, I don't like drinking Wink

neutral ground? don't like drinking? now I'm really starting to think you're a recovering. Scottish and all.

so you'd want to meet dragonpiwo, face to face.....where, at the ice cream shop just before it closes for the night? maybe you two can go for a long moonlit stroll in the park. man law?

i've yet to meet a pole, or an expat in poland for that matter, that didn't drink at least during social occasions.

when i think about a few select members of this forum meeting up for drinks in Poland, i can't help but wonder if it would be guys sitting around in awkward silence being afraid to stir the pot too much, or.....if we'd all hit it off immediately and have a grand ole' time. i can see it now....dragonpiwo telling jokes using all that silly british terminology americans never use, delph discussing some new random polish tax code he read about the night before, Scottie1113 reminiscing about the old days on the west coast when he had more money and more hair....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: