Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hangzhou?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatcher

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Hangzhou? Reply with quote

Does anyone on here live in Hangzhou? I would be interested in knowing about the expat life there....

Looks like a nice enough place but how is work and life for the expat community?
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I've been in Hangzhou for the past few years. As you can tell through a quick google search, it's a pretty clean 2nd tier city (compared to other provincial cities). There aren't that many teachers here compared to Shanghai or Beijing, but it's not too difficult to find other expats to hang out with. Overall, I'd say I'm fortunate to have been here in Hangzhou for so long. Perhaps, next year I will relocate to a more southern location such as Guangzhou or Shenzhen (close to HK). Check out: Hangzhouexpat.com or Morehangzhou.com websites for more local information.

Cheers,

Aaron
mcloo7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Hangzhou. It is a very nice city. Most of the universities here are in a district called Xiasha which is about a 40 minute subway ride or hour+ bus ride to the downtown areas. The university district is pretty much all universities, some factories, and many restaurants and businesses that cater to them. There are a couple central areas in the district that are independent of any universities and are pretty active most of the time. If you want to live downtown you will have to pick one the few universities that are downtown, or work in a private school. I like living where I am now although I wish it were a bit more in a central area, I think living in downtown Hangzhou would be great although I'd rather work at a university or college than a language school.
EvanRowe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aqi says its 173 (bad air) there now. Do you not feel like this is an issue for either of you?
Toast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvanRowe wrote:
The aqi says its 173 (bad air) there now. Do you not feel like this is an issue for either of you?

Once you've been in China a while and sample several of the 600~700 days you'll start to look at 173 as a veritable clean breath of fresh air.
Zang_Lajiao

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably my favourite place in China. However, I was fortunate enough to live in the Xihu district whilst doing a non-teaching job.

It is (or at least used to be) clean and quiet in places, yet still possessing a lively and bustling city centre. You should also drink (real) Longjing tea on a daily basis, it is the nicest thing ever.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a nice city by Chinese standards. It boasts the famous "West Lake" right in the centre of town. Surrounded by leafy parks, this area is perfect for bike riding or long walks. It would be a nice thing to have on your doorstep.

The main drawback for me about Hangzhou is the lack of taxis. It can be truly maddening standing on the edge of the road waiting half an hour to get a cab. Even locals whinge about how hard they are to flag. On the positive side, at least there are 2 Metro lines now, and apparently more on the way. But until the Metro is finished, you might need to learn the bus routes.
Blingcosa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hangzhou sux.

It is as boring as all hell. If it didn't have the famous West Lake, it would have nothing going for it whatsoever - just another dull mid-sized city. And then, West Lake is not very nice. It is full of floating garbage, you will be constantly harrassed by beggars and touts. Furthermore, the Lake acts as a giant mosquito breeding facility in the Summer - very unpleasant.

Here's another important point the others fail to mention: Hangzhou is one of the most expensive cities in China. It is even more expensive than Shanghai. Iwas spending 1000 yuan/mth more on a lower-quality apartment, and a lot more on food and beer too.

Transportation was a nightmare - granted I lived there before they put the subway line in. But I imagine the traffic is just as bad. You can never get a taxi - there are alledgedly 1 taxi for every 10,000 people. I would take a 45 minute train ride from Shanghai to Hangzhou, then have to wait 2 hours for a taxi back to my apartment. One day, it took the bus 2 hours to go three stops. Once it took ten minutes just to turn a corner. I lost my temper and made the driver let me off - I completed the 2 hour journey on foot. I think freedom of movement should be a basic human right, and in Hangzhou I would often end up stranded.

Lastly, yes, there is a small community of foreigners in Hangzhou, but if you don't like them, you are suck with them.

Good luck.
Blingcosa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the girls are beautiful
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't agree with the Shanghai - Hangzhou comparison. The price comparison website I checked out said that rents in Hangzhou are 44% less than in Shanghai, for instance.

It might be worth mentioning that Hangzhou has been hard hit by falling property prices over the past few months, with developers offering 20-30% discounts on apartments. The bubble seems to have popped earlier in Hangzhou than most other cities.
Juice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: I loved Hangzhou... Reply with quote

I spent last spring festival in Hangzhou and loved the place. It is modern, clean, and on the water - clean water. Looking back, I wish I taught there instead of Beijing. Even though the pay is a little less you get a furnished apartment which would cost you at least 4,000 yuan a month in Beijing or Shanghai. And like the other guy mentioned, the girls are gorgeous and super friendly.

http://www.eslbase.com/forum/viewtopic/t-3309
Hatcher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Hangzhou will be fine. I lived in Saudi Arabia for two years and it cant be worse than that place.

Mainly, I am after private lessons and extra work. Willing to travel.
Janiny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hatcher wrote:
I think Hangzhou will be fine. I lived in Saudi Arabia for two years and it cant be worse than that place.

Mainly, I am after private lessons and extra work. Willing to travel.

The only place Arabia is better than is the Moon. And if the Moon had a breathable atmosphere, why then, right back to the bottom of the barrel for Saudi Arabia.

I passed through Hangzhou and found it pleasant enough as far as Chinese cities go. Good a place as any in China or anywhere else, and a lot better than many. If you are happy and comfortable living and working in China, Hangzhou will do nicely.
Trebek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hangzhou is alright, much to see and do. West lake is best on a raining winters day and you'll have it all to yourself. Spring is quite crowded with all the tour buses and crowds.

Hangzhou is a great bike town, not only are the bike lanes marked and easy to use, there are city bike rental kiosks all over the place. If you can catch a taxi, hop on a city bike! The metro makes it much nicer, I lived out in Xiasha before the subway and was packed on a double bus for over an hour...standing. I usually rode my bike from Xiasha to HZ which only took 90 minutes and far less aggravating.

The Qiantang river, with it's daily "tidal bore" is a must see. Especially during Autumn when the "tidal wave" (a true tidal wave not a tsunami) is tall enough to surf on and often sweeps onlookers off the river levee!

Bad things about Hangzhou.... Hotter than a goats *beep* in the summer but many places have no AC (including most classrooms) since it's so far north. Cold wet near freezing during the winter yet most places have no or inadequate heating. HZ is a couple hundred miles south of the great "Heat line" where the public buildings are heated. Tough teaching 90 minutes at 1 degree C after walking in the rain on the way to class. I used to but plastic bags over my socks to keep my feet dry.

Overall HZ is a good place, the people are friendly and proud of their city. The expat scene is happening, just do your research. If your like most teachers you wont make enough money to go to the expat bars much but they do the Hash runs and other non-bar things. The tea villages next to west lake are beautiful, but the smog in the air ruins it for me to some extent. HZ has it's share of pollution but it certainly is no Tianjin.

Its a good place...
Juice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My regret is that I never heard of Hangzhou until I went there for last Spring Festival. It is ten times cleaner and less congested than Beijing and it has the longest canal in China - over 1,000 miles if you like to kayak or canoe and the beach is quiet and clean. People are a lot more friendly than Beijing or Shanghai and it is a "cozy" place that has a lot of old culture around, but is really modernizing quickly. I found this recent article which contains a decent video tour in it.

http://open.salon.com/blog/china_business_central/2014/07/19/cftu_hangzhou_rated_no_1_by_china_foreign_expat_teachers_1

Sanya, may be more beautiful but nowhere near as affordable as Hangzhou. The cost of living is at least 40% less than Beijing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: