Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uni jobs in Thailand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagoyaguy

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Uni jobs in Thailand Reply with quote

Greetings all!

I'm looking to retire in a few years, and weighing the options in southeast Asia. I've been teaching in Japan for 20 years now, everything from elementary school to (currently) university. I've an MEd in TESOL, presentations/publications, the usual package found here.

Ideally, I'd like to work part time, a few classes a week, to supplement my savings and pension income. What are the best options available in Thailand? I've visited the country a couple of times and loved it.

Any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Uni jobs in Thailand Reply with quote

Nagoyaguy wrote:
Greetings all!

I'm looking to retire in a few years, and weighing the options in southeast Asia. I've been teaching in Japan for 20 years now, everything from elementary school to (currently) university. I've an MEd in TESOL, presentations/publications, the usual package found here.

Ideally, I'd like to work part time, a few classes a week, to supplement my savings and pension income. What are the best options available in Thailand? I've visited the country a couple of times and loved it.

Any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated

Your typical uni jobs pay crap (25k thb/month) but there are options for people who want extra work. There is also an age ceiling to worry about unless you have a Ph.D to to with that M.Ed. or significant connections with a uni here.

Since you do have graduate level credentials and publications, if you know someone, you might find work on an "as needed" basis (1 or 2 courses per semester) in a Uni's "international" programs. These usually pay much better (1000 thb/class hour) than being a regular "lecturer" for undergrad English classes.

There is lots of work to be had in K-12 if you are so inclined. With an M.Ed TESOL you should be able to land decently paid work (175k yen/month - full time). 175k yen may not go far in Tokyo but it pays a lot of bills in Thailand.

There is always the language center type of work as well if you are so inclined. There is plenty of work doing IELTS/TOEFL prep at centers around the major universities (Chula, Mahidol, Thamasat, KMIT etc).

EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are over 60 and have a pension and savings why not open your own language school here....and get your retirement visa too as getting a work permit will not be possible if over 60 years of age.. Good luck! Smile
van_6000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Uni jobs in Thailand Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:

...There is also an age ceiling to worry about unless you have a Ph.D. ...

Since you do have graduate level credentials and publications, if you know someone, you might find work on an "as needed" basis (1 or 2 courses per semester) in a Uni's "international" programs. ...

There is lots of work to be had in K-12 if you are so inclined. With an M.Ed TESOL you should be able to land decently paid work (175k yen/month - full time)...

Hi, I apologise in advance to the initiator of this thread and to all for butting in like that on someone else's thread (please let me know if I should delete this and start my own), but I found the info here directly relevant to some of my plans and I thought I'd inquire a bit further.

I was looking into getting a uni job or a private (international) school, preferably in History (got a Ph.D. in US History and some publications but nothing ground-breaking) but also in ESL if possible.

Where can I find links or lists of schools/unis that hire for such positions?

What qualifications do I need and can I get them if I study for them part time in Taiwan or Thailand?

It might help if I give a bit of a background.

I am 48 years old. I started living in Taiwan again (have lived and worked here for 10 years) but I do not think I can stay more than a year or two (long story -- nothing bad though).

I have only 30 hours of TEFL and no teaching qualification (I am looking into getting either or both).

Most problematic is my passport situation. It's Greek (though my English is better than my Greek and it is my native tongue for all practical purposes).

I was stuck in Greece for two and a half years just as the European [Greek] crisis got exacerbated and tried to get a job in the Middle East and Turkey but with no success. I finally made it back to Taiwan but I know I must get some (relevant) qualifications because I am going to be unable to stay here for more than one or two years.

Sorry to some of you if you have seen my inquiries also in the Taiwan, Turkey, and Middle East boards. I am trying to regain some sort of stable employment and, to the extent possible in such uncertain times, some security for the future, given my age on top of everything.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of your passport you will need an internationally recognized proof of English Proficiency certificate (TOEIC, IELTS, TOEFL) as a visa requirement.

Also, in Thailand, (and most of the rest of the ASEAN block) the problem is your field of expertise. There are not a lot of university programs that have US history as a subject that are taught in English.

EFL IS an option but not a well paid option.
eg: Be in Thailand in early October (the mid year break) with your credentials and TOEIC in hand and you will find work. Then it will be up to you to network into something better for the start of the next school year next May.

Just as an addendum to this post for others seeking similar information ...

requirements for a visa / work permit as a teacher of English in Thailand:

- education to a first degree (bachelor) or better
- valid TOEIC score over 600,
- - - IELTS, TOEFL are also accepted.
- - - exemption for native speakers from: UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
- teaching certification is NOT required during your first 2 years of employment. You WILL, if you plan to stay longer than 4 years, be required to acquire your Thai Teacher's Licence (or a Thai wife) or lose your visa.
http://site.ksp.or.th/home.php?site=englishsite
- A TEFL course is NOT required for the visa or work permit (but it never hurts to have something before you get dropped into a class of 50 with the simple instruction being, "Teach".

And a final note in closing.
You NEED your original documents (degree parchment, transcript of records, TOEIC certificate) with you as part of the visa/work permit/provisional teacher permit process. A police check from your home country is also a requirement but is often overlooked.

van_6000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you suphanburi. This helps a lot.

Quote:
Be in Thailand in early October (the mid year break) with your credentials and TOEIC in hand and you will find work.

One more question I'd like to ask is this: I tried many Thai schools and unis while I was in Greece but with no success. I understand of course your point about the low demand for my area of academic expertise. But, do you suppose that another reason may be my non-native speaker status (especially combined with my applying from outside and without TOEFL or TOEIC)? Would it still be safe to assume that I could find something? (I realise of course that no one can be sure of anything and that, in the end, it is a decision I must make on my own. But still, I'd appreciate some sort of ball-park indication of what my chances might be) Thanks again for the much appreciated advice and info.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

van_6000 wrote:
Thank you suphanburi. This helps a lot.

Quote:
Be in Thailand in early October (the mid year break) with your credentials and TOEIC in hand and you will find work.

One more question I'd like to ask is this: I tried many Thai schools and unis while I was in Greece but with no success. I understand of course your point about the low demand for my area of academic expertise. But, do you suppose that another reason may be my non-native speaker status (especially combined with my applying from outside and without TOEFL or TOEIC)? Would it still be safe to assume that I could find something? (I realise of course that no one can be sure of anything and that, in the end, it is a decision I must make on my own. But still, I'd appreciate some sort of ball-park indication of what my chances might be) Thanks again for the much appreciated advice and info.

-Be in Thailand and have your original documents (degree parchment, transcript of records, TOEIC score (you only need the reading/listening section) in hand in Oct and your chances of finding "some work" as a teacher are pretty good (80%+).

-Your chances of finding university work in your field are close to "0".

-Your chances of moving to something with a decent pay packet improve a lot in April of next year when many of the schools in Thailand are hiring and you should be able to get into a bilingual school as a subject teacher.

trying to find work from abroad is hit and miss at best and being a non-native speaker who is not in the county means you are unlikely to even get an interview.

China is another option where you may find work in your field of expertise and can certainly find work in EFL: http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china/ . Google, there are lots more.

van_6000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, suphanburi. That is very helpful and much appreciated! I'll try it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: